Denon 1712 issue. Surround Back not working

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Ok, so...I can't access the GUI. I know that, right there, takes away a lot of the help choices. I should be able to by tomorrow.

So I hooked up my Front L & R & Center + Subwoofer.

Played very -noice-. All play fine.

So I figured I'd finally hook up my rear Surrounds. Hooked on my Rear Right just to test it out.

No sound. It's hooked up to my PC and I can change some speaker setting there; it's how I got my Center to work. By changing from 2.1 to 5.1

However, my rear surround won't play anything. I can't access the GUI, frustrating, as that's the most likely answer, but it's quite awhile before that arrives, more than half a day. Anything I could do now?

I've played 5.1 content back, DTS, Dolby Digital, Linear PCM 5.1, ect, and I can't get any audio from my Rear Surround.

I'm 99% sure I can't do anything without accessing the GUI, but wanted to check and see. I tried the Front Panels buttons and couldn't find anything.

Also, I can switch between the modes using my 1312 remote, strangely, not available on the 1712. There is a mode I've not seen on my 1312 - "Video Game" mode, when I turn it on, it seems everything echos and has a ton of bass.

Oddly enough, it sounds like I'm in a Movie Theater...is there more information on what these modes do, specifically?

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Make sure that you have the speakers connected to the rear surround jacks and not the surround back jacks.

Also, if you haven't already, connect both of the rear speakers and not just the right one.

Just some ideas.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
huh?

I don't ghet it.

There is "Right / Left Surround"

and "Surround Back / Amp assign"

I have it plugged into Surround Back...

It's a 7.1 receiver, so I thought that Surround Back would be used...for Surround Back Speakers,. Was I wrong?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It's a 7.1 receiver, so I thought that Surround Back would be used...for Surround Back Speakers,. Was I wrong?
Yes...and no. The surround back speakers are for 7.1. For 5.1, though, you use the rear surround jacks.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Well I changed it from Surround back to Surround Right.

No audio still.

It doesn't seem right as well. I mean, these speakers are going to be in back of me, why should I plug them into the L / R Surround jacks?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The rear surrounds were part of 5.1 systems, a rear center was added for 6.1, and then the rear center changed to back surround speakers for 7.1. It might not seem right, but the manual should help explain the correct connections for you.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Ok, yeah, that is dumb. Not getting any audio out of it...just to make sure, I went back and checked the speaker wire, it's solid.

Hmm.

Googling shows it mayu have something to do with amp Assign or something...but i tried all the modes and nothing.

If I change the amp to "Normal" a little light, lights up, that shows "S-Back"

I assume that's...Surround Back? Lol.

Might try plugging it into those again...

Last edited:
M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Ok, yeah, that is dumb. Not getting any audio out of it...just to make sure, I went back and checked the speaker wire, it's solid.

Hmm.

Googling shows it mayu have something to do with amp Assign or something...but i tried all the modes and nothing.

If I change the amp to "Normal" a little light, lights up, that shows "S-Back"

I assume that's...Surround Back? Lol.

Might try plugging it into those again...

No edit button.

So anyways, hooked up both now and tried out "Test tone" and got feedback from the two rear ones.

However, I only get an option for MCH Stereo, and my options on the computer to select it, they play them from the front left & right instead. Sounding odd.

So, the Receiver has them working, in test tone, but...

Also, my DTS files play with great sound, some also go Dolby Digital, sound good as well.

Dunno what to do.

Hmm.

Interesting stuff here. I found it was playing sound when I watched something.

But...it was playing the exact same sound as the Front L / R.

With my old PC ones, the two Front L /R played most stuff, center handled audio, and the Rear L / R handled, well, obviously, surround effects.

Can't wait for that DVI to HDMI cable to come, so I can use the actual GUI.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I know this may sound stupid, but why not hook it up in the living room to your TV and do the setup there to see If the audio channels work, just a thought.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Well he confirmed that the channels work. It seems he just doesn't know how to put his receiver into the correct sound mode because he hasn't read the manual.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis