Definitve technology speaker settings

C

capthowdy1987

Audiophyte
OK i've read several opinions on how to properly set the frequency response of my definitve technology speakers and i'm pulled on what to do. Ok i have a Denon 3808ci reviever, def tech 7004 towers, def tech C/L/R 2300 center, and 2 pairs of def tech BPX 1.2 surrounds. Ok in the last article i read said to set the tower speakers to small if using the LFE cable option for the powered subs in the towers. In the article i read the person had the C/L/R 2002 which the difference between that center and mine is that they have 2 5 1/4 bass and mid-range drivers. Where with my center i have 2 4 1/2 inch mid-range drivers and a powered 8 inch sub in the top. I understand why the person said to set the towers to small but if you set the towers to small then the reviever automatically sets the center to small also. The problem with that is that the reviever then wont be sending the lower frequencies to the sub in the center. So what's more important in getting the best sound out of this set-up? Setting the tower and center to small and lose the sub in the center, or keeping both the towers and the center on large and in turn not having the towers set to the best setting. I've been playing with this problem for about 2 months now and i really need some help with this.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
More and more recivers are increasing the adjustments for all crossover points allowing more options than it appears your unit gives you. There isnt anything really wrong with setting center to small but I know its gonna bug you anyway. You can wire the mains for full range but either way your gonna end up in a pickle, that is one of the downsides to this type of hybrid powered speaker.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would definitely set your BP7004s and CLR2300 to LARGE.

A LOT of people don't understand how the Def Tech speakers with the built-in subs work.

They think the subwoofer section and the tweeter/midrange/upper bass sections are TWO SEPARATE systems.

But they are NOT.

They are ONE whole system.

The Linkwitz crossover system will SUM all the Lower Bass (LFE RCA Input + Speaker Wire) and send it to the Subwoofer section. So when you set your speakers to LARGE, ONLY the subwoofers are getting the Lower Bass signals. The tweeters and midrange/upper bass drivers will NOT get any Lower Bass because the crossover inside the Def Tech speakers will send the Lower Bass to the Subs.

They are ONE WHOLE system with ONE Crossover System to control THREE drivers: Subwoofer, Midrange/Upper Bass, and Tweeter.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
similar setup

OK i've read several opinions on how to properly set the frequency response of my definitve technology speakers and i'm pulled on what to do. Ok i have a Denon 3808ci reviever, def tech 7004 towers, def tech C/L/R 2300 center, and 2 pairs of def tech BPX 1.2 surrounds. Ok in the last article i read said to set the tower speakers to small if using the LFE cable option for the powered subs in the towers. In the article i read the person had the C/L/R 2002 which the difference between that center and mine is that they have 2 5 1/4 bass and mid-range drivers. Where with my center i have 2 4 1/2 inch mid-range drivers and a powered 8 inch sub in the top. I understand why the person said to set the towers to small but if you set the towers to small then the reviever automatically sets the center to small also. The problem with that is that the reviever then wont be sending the lower frequencies to the sub in the center. So what's more important in getting the best sound out of this set-up? Setting the tower and center to small and lose the sub in the center, or keeping both the towers and the center on large and in turn not having the towers set to the best setting. I've been playing with this problem for about 2 months now and i really need some help with this.
I thought I knew the answer until I read DefTechs response. DeFTech is very knowledge about Definitive Technology speakers. And I respect his opinion and usually agree with him ;)

I have a similar system 7002 towers and a CLR3000 center. I have mine set to "small" on the fronts with a low cross-over (80 hz). I can spearately set the center to "large" or "small" independent of the fronts; I have the center set to large. However, the CLR2300 center is, I assume, very similar to the CLR3000 ; which actually has three bridged (normal) inputs. You could unbridge the LFE and run a spearate sub input into your CLR (if I am wrong DefTech ,sorry, but according to my CLR3000 user manual and the back terminals these appear to be three separate speaker feeds into a Def Tech CLR).

Another option, depending on what frequencies you want your sub to handle is to just set a lower cross over frequency and the let the built in subs in your towers and center handle the 50Hz-200Hz bass. I have the amplitude rheostat of both center and fronts set at about 3/4 ranges and the bass emphasis is very good.

Good Luck

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You could unbridge the LFE and run a spearate sub input into your CLR
The manual says that the RCA input on the CLR speaker is NOT meant to be used for the LFE.

It is a Full-Rage Channel Input. If you look at how it is labeled, it does not say "LFE":
View attachment 6093

It is labeled "FULL RANGE LOW LEVEL IN".

In other words, you connect the Center Channel Pre-out to this Input of the CLR Center speaker. The other review magazines also mentioned this (Home Theater Magazine, Sound & Vision Magazine, etc.). It is one Crossover network in the speaker that will send the lower bass to the sub and the midrange/upper bass & treble to the respective drivers.

Last edited:
C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Dont LFE the center, its not made for that and wont sound right, it is a powered speaker used for dedicated center use only in your system.

itschris

itschris

ADTG's got it on the money. We discussed this very thing when I got my Def Techs. I also didn't quite grasp how the crossover was working. I reset everything to large and as he suggested and it really changed the dynamics of my setup.

Feel free to experiment, but if you're looking for the textbook correct way to do ADTG laid it out for you. I think you'll be happy with the result. Let us know how it works out.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Sorry, don't run LFE to Def Tech CLR

Sorry, don't run LFE to Def Tech CLR

===> I didn't look at my CXLR3000 . But AcuDefTechGuy and Chadnliz are correct.

However, on the back, not the RCA LFE jack there are three sets of speaker inputs that are normally bridged. I must have incorrectly thought these were : sub, mid, and tweeter input SORRY

And they are correct it is a powered sub so the center preout is the normal connection.

itschris

itschris

Off With Your Head!:D

Isn't it amazing that we have all this stuff, read all this stuff, hook up all this stuff, watch all this stuff, write about all this stuff and we still learn something new every single day?

It's crazy!! I thought for sure I had it right when I hooked everything up until I felt there was something missing...or or that it should have sounded more impressive. A couple quick changes and all was fixed in my world.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audioholic reviews

You know Gene was saying that he would try to get Definitive Technology to send him some speakers for review this September!:D I don't know which ones yet, but I'm hoping the flagship models.:D

Wouldn't that be awesome?:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dont LFE the center, its not made for that and wont sound right, it is a powered speaker used for dedicated center use only in your system.
Chadnliz, do you also own DefTech speakers? Just curious.:D

T

Tanman21

Audiophyte
Looking for some help.

I have a definitive set up that I am working on and I'm looking for the correct settings for the speakers. Here is what I have:

Im running a 9.1 set up with a Denon 4520ci and an emotiva xpa-3 for the front and center speakers.

I have:
Front - BP 8040 towers
Center - CLR 2300
All 6 surrounds - bp-8040-sr
Sub - Supercube I

I have the front 8040's set up on one lfe channel and level matched to the supercube on the second lfe channel. Im using audyssey to set up all the speakers and they are all set on small. Audyssey set the fronts and center to 40hz (I changed them to 80hz) and the surrounds to between 100hz and 150hz.

1. My question is, are my fronts set up the best way running them as small with the lfe into the towers? (Based on what I read this is the best way since I have another sub)

2. Am I cheating my self out of low end from the center with this set up?

3. Is there anything else I may be doing wrong?

I am very tech savvy, but I don't have much audio background and just want the best setup possible.

Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looking for some help.

I have a definitive set up that I am working on and I'm looking for the correct settings for the speakers. Here is what I have:

Im running a 9.1 set up with a Denon 4520ci and an emotiva xpa-3 for the front and center speakers.

I have:
Front - BP 8040 towers
Center - CLR 2300
All 6 surrounds - bp-8040-sr
Sub - Supercube I

I have the front 8040's set up on one lfe channel and level matched to the supercube on the second lfe channel. Im using audyssey to set up all the speakers and they are all set on small. Audyssey set the fronts and center to 40hz (I changed them to 80hz) and the surrounds to between 100hz and 150hz.

1. My question is, are my fronts set up the best way running them as small with the lfe into the towers? (Based on what I read this is the best way since I have another sub)

2. Am I cheating my self out of low end from the center with this set up?

3. Is there anything else I may be doing wrong?

I am very tech savvy, but I don't have much audio background and just want the best setup possible.

Thanks.
I think your setting looks good.

I prefer to use Audyssey Bypass L/R + Dynamic EQ.

I would not worry about the Center Channel bass amount.

T

Tanman21

Audiophyte
I actually been using dynamic eq.

I'm guessing bypass front l/r just shuts off all audyessy filters to those speakers?

What do you recomend to set the crossovers for the fronts at?

Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I actually been using dynamic eq.

I'm guessing bypass front l/r just shuts off all audyessy filters to those speakers?

What do you recomend to set the crossovers for the fronts at?

Thanks!
Yeah, it bypasses Audyssey for the front L/R.

I wish there were a "Audyssey Bypass All Speakers + Dynamic EQ" setting. :D

So for now, Bypass L/R will have to do. The salient thing is that I get my Dynamic EQ. :cool:

I think 80Hz-100Hz is good.

You can try out different settings and try really hard to tell the difference. :D

If you can't tell much of a difference, then I think 80Hz may be the best.

On my system (RBH SX-T2/R) I set the XO to 100Hz.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's kind of funny looking back at old posts and see how we've changed over the years. :D

There are always at least 2 different ways of doing things.

Back then I was adamant on setting up the tower with built-in sub as "one whole speaker" w/o utilizing LFE input.

But that was before I fell in love with Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which could not be used to my satisfaction if the tower are set up as one whole speaker.

Thus, post DEQ, I am adamant on setting up the tower with built-in sub as "two separate speakers" to utilize LFE input. :D

T

Tanman21

Audiophyte
I returned my 8040st's and got the 8060's.

I wish I had an audiophile that could set up my system perfect, that way I could just know I had the best set up possible.

Attachments

A

Adam320

Audiophyte
First post!

I have 8060 towers, 8080 center, and 8080 surrounds coming.. Reading the manual they advise to not use the auto calibration. But do most people use it anyway?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First post!

I have 8060 towers, 8080 center, and 8080 surrounds coming.. Reading the manual they advise to not use the auto calibration. But do most people use it anyway?
You mean the Room Correction in your AVR?

I guess it depends on what type of Room Correction you have.

If I had Audyssey XT or XT32, I would definitely use it. Then manually set the XO to 80Hz, set all speakers to small, use Dynamic EQ, use the LFE inputs on towers with built-in LFE.

A

Adam320

Audiophyte
Sorry complete newb here.. Is auto setup not the same as audyssey? This is copied direct from the manual for the center channel and the surrounds, this warning was not in the manual for the towers:

"VERY IMPORTANT:

Do not use your receiver’s auto set-up functions as they are
often ineffective in setting up and adjusting speakers with builtin
powered subwoofers!"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis