Definitive Technology?

K

kspence205

Audiophyte
I'm more of a videophile than audiophile but I do appreciate quality sound and my budget will allow dropping about $2K on a system. So I've decided against HTIB and also any high end soundbar, I'm thinking of getting a good receiver and the Definitive Technology BP9040 floor standing speakers along with the center channel. The floor standing speakers supposed to have built in subs I'm not getting a subwoofer. Is this a good way to spend $2K? Thanks in advance!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome. Good going on the decision not to go with htib/soundbar solutions, choosing components is a better way to go. However...

Even DT's stand-alone "subs" aren't very good, and those powered 8" woofers don't qualify as "subs" in my book (they don't even reach 20hz with any authority, likely not even their very doubtful spec of 22hz, which is likely 10dB down or more knowing DT's specmanship). Plus, you don't get the positioning advantages of an actual separate sub(s), which is a major advantage of having a sub(s).

Somewhat depends how important the aesthetics of no sub box or the low end are to you....but if interested in subs I'd look at SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio among others....or even DIY.

PS What are the dimensions of the room it's going to go into?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm more of a videophile than audiophile but I do appreciate quality sound and my budget will allow dropping about $2K on a system. So I've decided against HTIB and also any high end soundbar, I'm thinking of getting a good receiver and the Definitive Technology BP9040 floor standing speakers along with the center channel. The floor standing speakers supposed to have built in subs I'm not getting a subwoofer. Is this a good way to spend $2K? Thanks in advance!
If you are more into movies vs. music--YOU WANT/NEED A SUB(S).

Those DefTech built-in "subs" will not have the punch that you need for movies! For 2ch music, they will be fine.

For reference, I run the GE T2 in my HT rig (a newer cousin to the DT, same designer).....AND I have a Rythmik F15HP for the low end. Again, for music, I don't need the sub (but I do like it and use it). But for movies, I need the separate sub.

The other item to consider, the BP design means that these speakers will like need to be a foot or 2 further out into the room than you would need with a normal monopole design.

To be completely honest, if it were my $, I would be looking at brands other than DT (and, I do own a set of the older DT SM350 that will likely become my surrounds one day). But, if you are sold on DT, then scoop these up while they are cheap! 5 of these would set you back right around $1250 (or get 3 of these for the front, then a cheaper model for surrounds).
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_735SM65/Definitive-Technology-StudioMonitor-65.html?search=sm65&skipvs=T

Then, add a subwoofer! This B-stock sub would get you right at your budget with 5x SM65
VTF-3 MK5 HP, Satin Black, B stock
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/clearance.html

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For 2K on speakers, I would look elsewhere.

If you are set on towers (like I am :D), then just get 2 bookshelf speakers and put them on 2 short speaker stands on top of 2 subwoofers. Now you have a Modular Tower. I used Photoshop and did this for illustration:

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Bookshelves and sub(s). A dedicated subwoofer (the VTF-3 MK5 Slip suggested is a GREAT subwoofer) is going to have better extension at lower frequencies than the BP towers. And like said already, you have more placement options with a sub giving you a better chance at optimizing it in your room.

SVS' Ultra Bookshelf speakers are pretty hard to beat, especially if you can find a set for $798 in their outlet. Everything in there comes with a full 5 year warranty and 45 day in home trial period. If you don't like them, send them back and they'll pay shipping. There's really no risk at all.

*They just had a big outlet sale recently so their inventory is a little low, but they do pop up in there fairly often. I assume they probably get a fair number of them back due to their trade up program.

*Edit: Looks like someone already snapped up the VTF-3.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are more into movies vs. music--YOU WANT/NEED A SUB(S).

Those DefTech built-in "subs" will not have the punch that you need for movies! For 2ch music, they will be fine.

For reference, I run the GE T2 in my HT rig (a newer cousin to the DT, same designer).....AND I have a Rythmik F15HP for the low end. Again, for music, I don't need the sub (but I do like it and use it). But for movies, I need the separate sub.

The other item to consider, the BP design means that these speakers will like need to be a foot or 2 further out into the room than you would need with a normal monopole design.

To be completely honest, if it were my $, I would be looking at brands other than DT (and, I do own a set of the older DT SM350 that will likely become my surrounds one day). But, if you are sold on DT, then scoop these up while they are cheap! 5 of these would set you back right around $1250 (or get 3 of these for the front, then a cheaper model for surrounds).
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_735SM65/Definitive-Technology-StudioMonitor-65.html?search=sm65&skipvs=T

Then, add a subwoofer! This B-stock sub would get you right at your budget with 5x SM65
VTF-3 MK5 HP, Satin Black, B stock
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/clearance.html
Ohh... I forgot they dropped the prices on Deftech's SM line. The 65's are pretty decent speakers, though I would look around a little before settling on Deftech.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
I would have to agree with others here on going with an external sub. For Movies it is the best upgrade you can give yourself. Much better to get a pair of bookshelfs with a bookshelf center and a sub than to get a pair of towers and a center. A sub adds a huge amount to the sound and the bookshelves will be close to or as good as the tower speakers.

D

DefTechguy23

Audiophyte
I'm late to the post, but I hate to say the new generation of Definitive Technology speakers don't sound nearly as impressive as their 1st gen without built in subs IMHO. When Definitive came to be in the mid 90's I was thoroughly impressed, especially coming from direct radiating speakers. In 1999 I purchased four BP30's and a CLR2000 that had no built-in subs. The sound was phenomenal. To date I have added two SVS subs, an Onkyo TX-NR1010 (new at over 50% off) as a processor and an Emotiva XPA-5 amp. The sound is now even more impressive for music & HT as the BP30's crave power.
As of 2019 I have found nothing, even at much higher price points, that justify changing out these speakers. DT's built-in subs are terrible in sound quality and the build quality of the amps is also terrible. My advice would be to seek out the BP30 model if you can find them, Ebay, Audiogon, Craigslist. You won't be disappointed in the soundstage, bass, and imaging for music & HT when set-up properly and powered by more than an AVR. For the record, I'm not a (DT fan boy), I'm a fan of high end sound for music and HT at a reasonable/achievable price. That was exactly what Sandy Gross set out to accomplish twenty odd years ago. I believe he was quoted saying "the BP30 is the best speaker I ever produced at its price point".

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm late to the post, but I hate to say the new generation of Definitive Technology speakers don't sound nearly as impressive as their 1st gen without built in subs IMHO. When Definitive came to be in the mid 90's I was thoroughly impressed, especially come from direct radiating speakers. In 1999 I purchased four BP30's and a CLR2000 that had no built-in subs. The sound was phenomenal. To date I have added 2 SVS subs, an Onkyo TX-NR1010 (new at over 50% off) as a processor and an Emotiva XPA-5 amp. The sound is now even better for music & HT and I have found nothing, even at much higher price points, that justify changing out these speakers. The built-in subs are terrible in sound quality and build quality of the amps is also terrible. My advice would be to seek out the BP30 model if you can find them. I won't be disappointed in the soundstage, bass, and imaging for music & HT when set-up properly and powered by more than an AVR. For the record, I'm not a (DT fan boy), I'm a fan of high end sound for music and HT at a reasonable price. Exactly what Sandy Gross setout to achieve twenty odd years ago. I believe he was quoted saying "the BP30 is the best speaker I ever produced at its price point".
That's hard to read wo paragraphs. Thanks for posting though :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I'm always gonna have a little soft spot for DefTech. I ended up with a pair of SM55s and they blew away what I'd had for the almost 20 years prior. It was an eye opening moment for me.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
The DefTech BP series are really good for movies. The bipolar design provides a wide soundstage. The integrated "subs" are more of a woofer than a real subwoofer. Don't let that stop you from getting a real separate subwoofer and crossing them at 80hz/small would still be your best bet.

Don't listen to the "older was better" crowd. DefTech didn't make their speakers worse when Sandy left (lol). All objective measurements and reviews are glowing...including Audioholics. Look up the review on this site.

D

DefTechguy23

Audiophyte
The DefTech BP series are really good for movies. The bipolar design provides a wide soundstage. The integrated "subs" are more of a woofer than a real subwoofer. Don't let that stop you from getting a real separate subwoofer and crossing them at 80hz/small would still be your best bet.

Don't listen to the "older was better" crowd. DefTech didn't make their speakers worse when Sandy left (lol). All objective measurements and reviews are glowing...including Audioholics. Look up the review on this site.
Yes you might be right, but how is it that I'm on my forth Definitive sub amp from the SuperCubes in six years. I gave up and went with SVS subs.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think I'm always gonna have a little soft spot for DefTech. I ended up with a pair of SM55s and they blew away what I'd had for the almost 20 years prior. It was an eye opening moment for me.
Yeah, I tend to like the SM line too. I have a set of the previous generation SM350. They are pretty good speakers, they sound really good with jazz, and they mate up very nicely with my Dynaco ST-70 tube amp.

I also like the very understated aesthetics and the $ savings that it brings.

And, I own the kissing cousin GE T2 speakers too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Like a first GF!!!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I bought my BP30's years ago when they were upgrading to newer design models. I worked at a residential AV retailer at the time on their custom side, and one thing I already knew was that their speakers with integrated subwoofers/amps were terrible. The amplifiers were constantly blowing, and the room position for the subwoofers was typically not a good location. I didn't want to pay more for a lackluster subwoofer that was prone to failure, so when they went on sale, I bought a complete surround package without any amps. CLR2000, BP30s, BPX surrounds (this list seems familiar)... Anyway, they have run great for years and I ended up pairing the system with a Velodyne HGS18, which I still argue is one of the best subwoofers in the world.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis