Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 Subwoofer Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Buckle up for some thunderous bass! If you are a fan of Definitive Technology or if you are simply a bass fan, take a look at the SuperCube 8000. This sub, according to the company, features a designed-from-the-ground-up brawny Class HD digital tracking amplifier that is optimized for real world power demands to deliver low distortion and high output. This sub also has an integrated 56 bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP) which is, in essence, a mini computer–that is supposed to extend and improve the bass response. Multi-band digital protection systems tightly monitor and control the woofer system to prevent distortion and woofer damage at ultra-high volume levels with a minimum of audible artifacts. After all this information, you may be wondering about its power output rating? How about 1,500 watts? Check out the following specs!
  • Dimensions: 15-13/16" x 15-1/4" x 15-13/16".
  • 56 bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP) preamp stage.
  • All-new 1500 Watt digital tracking power amplifier.
  • Wireless connectivity (with purchase of optional SCW-100 wireless kit).
  • Performance Optimize Remote control for convenient and precise system tweaking.
  • High gloss lacquer finish complements any d'cor.
  • Quick, tight accuracy for full music enjoyment.
  • Explosive bass response for movies.
  • Disappearing alpha-numeric display.
Price: $1,299.00

Are you a fan of Definitive Technology? What do you think about this product?
PicsArt_1422568037362.jpg
PicsArt_1422568173829.jpg PicsArt_1422568299787.jpg PicsArt_1422568249671.jpg

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
T

Tom V.

Audioholic
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys, we had a duplicate post on this product so I deleted the old thread and updated this one. TLS Guy made a thoughtful post so I copied it and pasted here below:

This is just the sort of product that deserves a very wide berth, pending third party measurements.

As is usual with this company, their literature is high on jargon, but no useful or meaningful specs are provided.

Let me just translate this piece of jargon quoted be you: -

[This sub, according to the company, features a designed-from-the-ground-up brawny Class HD digital tracking amplifier that is optimized for real world power demands to deliver low distortion and high output.] Quote

The translation is that we have provided this sub with the least amount of power we can get away with and not get too many complaints.

Note the power is specified as 1500 watts. First of all if that power were provided for any significant length of time to any 11" driver it would explode. The manufacturer does not state if it will supply 1500 watts for a millionth of a second or a millisecond. I suspect a nano second might be stretching it.

Bottom line that spec is meaningless.

Their hype about digital preamps is just a fancy way to say there is power limiting so you don't hear the woofer bottom and or run the low powered amp to clipping.
In fact I will translate their jargon a bit further. Since this sub is such a piece of junk, it requires more complex and vigorous limiting than competitive products.

Now lets take a key spec, that is not a spec at all. They quote a frequency response of 12 to 200 Hz. However this is a totally meaningless. There are no db points. I have no idea of the power output at 12 Hz, but I suspect it is micro watts. There is no power output at any frequency in db quoted. In fact from the spec, I have no idea if this is in fact a sub or not. I would not be surprised if third part measurements showed it did not even meet the definition of a sub. My point is that there are no meaningful specs quoted for this device by the manufacturer.

I have heard a number of products from this manufacturer, and everyone I have encountered I would place in the awful category.

Pretty much everything this company publishes about its products raises a red flag to anybody with any experience in these matters.
Marantz DV 9600 Oppo BD-83 Marantz AV 8003 Quad current dumping amps X 7 Direct TV HD 20 HD DVR Carter audio workstation RME Fireface 800 Fujitsu 50XHA40 Front left and right Carter dual transmission line studio monitors MK II. Center Carter coaxial transmission line center speaker Rear Carter NFM-1s Center backs Carter dual transmission line studio monitors MK I. My system: - http://mdcarter.smugmug.com/gallery/2424008_RKGvb#127077317_Pufg7[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/quote[

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Fine piece of advertising literature.... I'm sold ......... NOT :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hmmm, web site glitch? This is a DT sub, and has been out for years. Already CEA-d as well

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-definitive-technology-studiomonitor-sm65-and-sm45-speakers-supercube-8000

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Those #s look a bit off (too high) actually. I wonder if there is an error in RMS/Peak conversion? He added 6dB to convert to 1 meter. You may have to subtract 9dB to get a true 2 meter RMS value since the software generates peak and not RMS.

I don't want to speak for Brent but I believe he used to use a correction factor for near boundary measurements (per CEA standard) that he no longer does anymore (a good thing). So there could be some other issues there too.

In any event, it's a small sub so I wouldn't expect it to hit huge SPLs of the big box subs.

As you can see in his more recent reviews, his testing practice has been updated and also reports in 2 meter rms.

http://stereos.about.com/od/reviewsandrecommendations/ss/SVS-PB-2000-Subwoofer-Review-amp-Measurements.htm

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Fine piece of advertising literature.... I'm sold ......... NOT :)
Just a heads up: I own a similar product (Super Cube 1). I think you would be hard pressed to get much more from a box that size. The 2 passive radiators take it at least part of the way to porting but you can ignore the spec's ... including the MSRP.

NOTE: Mine is in storage.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a heads up: I own a similar product (Super Cube 1). I think you would be hard pressed to get much more from a box that size. The 2 passive radiators take it at least part of the way to porting but you can ignore the spec's ... including the MSRP.

NOTE: Mine is in storage.
why in storage?

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
Those #s look a bit off (too high) actually. I wonder if there is an error in RMS/Peak conversion? He added 6dB to convert to 1 meter. You may have to subtract 9dB to get a true 2 meter RMS value since the software generates peak and not RMS.

I don't want to speak for Brent but I believe he used to use a correction factor for near boundary measurements (per CEA standard) that he no longer does anymore (a good thing). So there could be some other issues there too.

In any event, it's a small sub so I wouldn't expect it to hit huge SPLs of the big box subs.

As you can see in his more recent reviews, his testing practice has been updated and also reports in 2 meter rms.

http://stereos.about.com/od/reviewsandrecommendations/ss/SVS-PB-2000-Subwoofer-Review-amp-Measurements.htm

Yup, you gotta take 9 off for 2m, rms. That's why I compared it to the $250 ngx woof. About the same overall output and extension.

So like 97dB 20-31hz and 109 40-63hz.

And of course there's always the "10hz" specification even though the extension was in the mid 30s..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I had to pleasure to try out a Definitive Technology SuperCube I a few years ago in my home. At the time an Athena Technology AS-P400 subwoofer was in use in that room and was producing pretty good results. The AS-P400 features a 10" woofer in a ported enclosure fed by a 300 watt max 100 watt rms amplifier if memory serves.

Now the Definitive Tech looked nicer, and was in a smaller enclosure, but I figured with it's published specs it would easily outperform the little $300 Athena. Well if you've been paying attention to the rest of this thread as I'm sure you have, you will not be surprised that not only did the Def Tech not outperform the Athena, in fact it sounded worse. Output was comparable but the Athena edged it out in SQ and extension if only by a little. Pretty sad considering the high price tag of the Def Tech.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have better options and nobody wants to buy it.
I'll buy it for the right price XD

Last time I bought one I paid close to $500 for a good condition used one. I was miffed at how much I spent.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll buy it for the right price XD

Last time I bought one I paid close to $500 for a good condition used one. I was miffed at how much I spent.
That's the going rate AFAIK. I got mine for $425. It'll make a nice gift for my g/f on Valentine's.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Guys, we had a duplicate post on this product so I deleted the old thread and updated this one. TLS Guy made a thoughtful post so I copied it and pasted here below:
Thank you for those kind words Gene.

This a pretty expensive sub. I can't find more than about $200 discount, and most are not discounting.

Really manufacturers don't help themselves with ridiculous "puffs" like that. People are not that stupid as a rule, though some are. The careful ask here. With that info, I and others can not steer a customer too them, like we can and do to SVS and Rhythmic for instance. They have useful reliable data on their products.

So what do we have here, an expensive sub with an F3 of 32 Hz. I'm not opposed to limiting, as it can make a product with limitations more useful. However be honest that it is minimize the effect of the limitation of the device. Show its performance with graphs. That will help their cause.

However what they say, and likely what they have done does not make sense. The claim to limit AND equalize. From the measurements I bet they have. First of all their limiter is not effective.

I bet they have equalized, as this is an ABR design, which almost always roll off below F3 somewhat above 24 db per octave, usually 30 db. So the power output below f3 suggests Eq. This is not a good idea with this type of design. The distortion below F3 must be enormously high. I bet this is why bottoming was noted at 25 Hz. Customer reviews also report experiencing bottoming while watching movies at very moderate volume. This is what I would expect.

There are a lot better subs than this for less. That really is the bottom line.

I have a feeling the OP is a shill for Def Tech. Lets see if he comes back.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have same opinion towards REL subs.. Nice looking furniture, not much on the subwoofer part.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I had to pleasure to try out a Definitive Technology SuperCube I a few years ago in my home. At the time an Athena Technology AS-P400 subwoofer was in use in that room and was producing pretty good results. The AS-P400 features a 10" woofer in a ported enclosure fed by a 300 watt max 100 watt rms amplifier if memory serves.

Now the Definitive Tech looked nicer, and was in a smaller enclosure, but I figured with it's published specs it would easily outperform the little $300 Athena. Well if you've been paying attention to the rest of this thread as I'm sure you have, you will not be surprised that not only did the Def Tech not outperform the Athena, in fact it sounded worse. Output was comparable but the Athena edged it out in SQ and extension if only by a little. Pretty sad considering the high price tag of the Def Tech.
I had one of those before a power surge took it out. Awesome subwoofer for it's size, It dug pretty deep, easily mid 20s and had great slam. We got the AS-P4000 as a replacement and it's not nearly as good. Plays decently deep and is loud but it's really boomy. The volume knob is messed up as well, move it a millimeter and it starts bottoming out.

SheepStar

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
So TLS,

Riddle me this?

Where would you put your $ if you had a choice -non BIY/DIY?

DJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis