Definitive Technology Subs

J

Jeremy77

Audioholic Intern
I have a couple of questions, when you guys on here say DT are you guys refering to Definitive Technology?

Another one, What do you guys think about Definitive Technology Subs, especially the supercube series, 1,2,3,& Reference?

If you guys are saying that the Definitive subs are no good, then what is wrong with them, is it design?

I have a supercube1 at home, i have not had time to sit down and give a good review yet, i will keep you guys posted. I did play around with it a little bit last Friday night, it seemed that the only way i was happy with the sub is when i had it turned 3/4 of the way up, is that wrong or over driving the sub. I would like to be happy with it at 1/2 power (gain).

Jeremy

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
DT is Def Tech, yes.

Personally, I feel from my experience that Def Tech subs are great until you compare them with Hsu and SVS in their comparable price range. Your money, IMHO, goes farther with either Hsu or SVS than Def Tech. Better clarity with deeper impact for equal money.

But, look at my sig, I love Def Tech! I'm hopefully soon going to put a pair of Mythos Two in the bedroom. :D

J

Jeremy77

Audioholic Intern
I know this is not subs, but i love their solos 2&3 and gems xl. I just wondering if there subs are everything that they say they are. I have heard a lot of good reviews on the SVS subs. I personally like the look of the SVS and the weight tells alot too. To me the heavier the sub, the better quality a sub is, at least for most of them. I personally like one that is 100 plus, which means its going to stay where i place it, my wife or kids will not be able to move it.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I won't knock the Def Tech subs, I think they are all good in their own right.

I just feel your money goes further in performance with SVS and Hsu.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I never owned a def tech sub, it's just not cost effective... I can get a nicer SVS or HSU for what the def tech subs cost.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I feel DT is very "generous" with what they claim their subs frequency response can get down to. With SVS or HSU their rated frequency response is truthful and has been test benched to show there is truth in advertising. For the money go with SVS.

J

Jeremy77

Audioholic Intern
The more i look at the SVS sub the more i want it. I have been reading all up on the web page about SVS, i like the PB-13 Ultra. I could not imagine having that sub in my living room. I would feel like a Rock Star to have one of those in my living room. It would be my thing, i would show off first. come in and see my Sub or feel my when it hits. Well this stuff is addictive. I understand how you can go broke with all this stuff, you just keep wanting more and bigger items.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Jeremy, I don't think you've mentioned how large your space is? I had the DT SC I several years before the ID subs came in vogue and was very happy with it in my 3600+ cu ft basement space. Gain set at 10:30 position and it rocked the house. Then in the fall of 2007 I pulled the trigger on a dual SVS Plus setup and the rest is history.:cool: One is really enough:D and two is just giddy!:eek:

BTW, I'd suggest a 120 hz xover for the Mythos 2/3/Gems.

J

Jeremy77

Audioholic Intern
My house is fairly small, its only 1400 square foot. The kitchen and den are open together, i would say my den is 600 square foot. I know its not big and i was playing around with the sub last night, it did sound good in my living room. I have been thinking about going to the DT Reference series sub.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
AVrat, I agree with your crossover suggstion of 120Hz on the Mythos 23 but the gems really need to be crossed over at 150Hz (I own them and they are only two feet behind the main sitting position and 120 is really pushing the bass limits of that speaker but 150 is a good crossover point.

Jeremy, for the cost of the reference I would go with the PB13-Ultra it will easily beat out the reference and trust me will be more than you will ever need. I have a 1,300 square foot house and my design is similar with a great room that opens up to a dining area and kitchen. I have a SVS NSD 12/2 and my gain is only at 2 (out of 10) and it makes my walls shake with deep clean bass, so I know the PB13 Ultra will be more than you will ever need or even think about upgrading.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I have a DT Supercube II. The thing rocks my Family Room and my room is very large and my ceilings are 16 feet tall. I also only have it turned up half way and my Yamaha Auto EQ has the thing at -8.0 on the sound settings. Of course, I turned that up to about -4.0 but unless you are listening to music and using your sub (which I don't), I think Def Tech makes a good product for the money.

I'm sure there are others out there that are also good, but I'm happy with the size and performance of mine. I most certainly don't believe their ratings though. I highly doubt my sub can get down to 14hz...

J

Jeremy77

Audioholic Intern
My ceiling is 8' ceiling and i have the sub at +16 on the reciever and 1/2 on the gain on the sub. i also get a great deal on all definitive equipment including subs, so if i was pay retail price, i would go get the ultra and i still want to get the ultra but it cost like 700 bucks more for it and the the reference series sub, so for 900 bucks the supercube reference is a great deal to me.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Why not just add a second supercube 1, or sell that and get two supercube reference subs? Unless you don't have the room for two, then just get a trinity reference sub.

J

Jeremy77

Audioholic Intern
it just has come to me that i could get two supercube1 for my living room and i should have enough bass for my little room. but i was thinking that 14 inch woofer would be nice too.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You can't trust DT specs when you calculate output for your Theater. That is enough me for not to purchase their products.

SheepStar

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I won't knock the Def Tech subs, I think they are all good in their own right.

I just feel your money goes further in performance with SVS and Hsu.
I agree. I'm saving my very few spare pennies to order me up an SVS, but the issue with both SVS and HSU is their size. I guess the question is do you have the room needed for an SVS or an HSU? The mini subs are great because their tiny. They usually have oversized amps in them to drive them hard enough to provide the bass you might need, but, and this is just basic physics, they won't get down as low as a larger sub might.

I'm lucky in that I have enough room in my family room/HT/listening room for a smallish SVS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis