Definitive Technology Official Thread

H

hammy

Audiophyte
New to the form would appreciate some advice

Hi all
I have a pair of PBVX / P speakers I want to sell and would appreciate assistance with fair pricing for these.
I will be replacing them with "in-wall" speakers (wife finally won) so some guidance in that area would be appreciated also. Thin "on wall" speakers might be considered. I am building new walls so now is the time. The room is "L" shaped with the main area for viewing / listening about 15 X 25. This is not a "theater", it is our "rec-room" where we watch TV I am told.
We have a very large entertainment center I am considering replacing with a wall, or at least most of the wall (15') with acoustically transparent fabric in that the only thing you see will be the TV.
Has anyone else done this or seen this? I have not so this will need some real thought. I do have samples of material which should arrive today so that will be a start.

Thanks,
Mike

50" TV
Marantz SR7007
2 - BP7002 fronts
1 - 2500 center
no sub

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
123 -

Did you make your purchase yet? I have the 800's for rears and they do fine, even a small amount of bass is heard. I have the have the 1000 center and the discontinued Studio-Monitor 350's for front l&r. If you have the space, go with the SM-350's over the 1000's. You will get more bass response (8-inch radiator) and you can buy them cheaper than the 1000's. Hope this helps.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Glad to find a DefTech thread, although looks like hasn't been visited in 3 years. I will soon be adding a second Pro Sub 800 and a pair of Studio Monitor 65's to my system. I may try using my Studio Monitor 55's and 45's as side and rear surrounds.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
Honestly, the 65/55/45 combo will work good, I'd seriously consider swapping to better Subs first though, far be it from me to talk anyone out of the SM65's (I love those speakers) but if you already have 55's and 45's in your system, a couple of better Subs would completely transform what you already have.

V

vios500

Enthusiast
Opinions on dual Subs
I have a Supercube II currently that I am happy with but have been entertaining the idea of SVS, Rythmik, SPA and HSU Subs. The problem is that my budget is between $500-$800 on a decent sub. I have a chance to pick up a matching Supercube II for around $250-300 in great condition. I have read that adding a 2nd sub makes a substantial difference and possibly the way to go over a single bigger sub. I’m not trying to spend over $1,000 on this sub because the wife would have my head. I have pieced my HT through ebay and craigslist over the last 10 years and have the patience to wait for a deal I can’t refuse. I was considering SVS PB-2000 dual Subs and I need to listen to the ported subs for myself to determine I want that feature over sealed. I love tight clean bass but need to see if I like the ported option. I’m probably 65% HT and 35% music. I had a chance to pick up a SVS SB-13 Ultra but $1,100 but was over my budget. I’m wondering if the extra $1,400 for SVS dual subs is really worth the investment over dual Supercube II’s? I just don’t want to drop that kind of money if it’s not like Standard Definition to High Definition type of transition. 720p to 1080p or even 1080p to 4k won’t justify it for me…lol

My Living room is about 18x18. 18x30 If i'm considering the open floor plan with the dining area and did not factor in the kitchen. My room is obviously not totally enclosed. I have a crazy idea of maybe converting my Garage into a dedicated HT room at some point where the budget would somehow magically expand.

I’m also wondering if eventually upgrading my bp10s to bp 30s would make a huge difference with movies and music? If I can find them close to me at some point that is. Im also pretty happy with the CLR 2000 and wondering if there was a major upgrade that would be worth considering for the center?

Can anyone also recommend the crossover settings for my potential dual subs? I’m still a newbie when it comes to home audio and depend on the calibration tool for setup. I am going to have a Sub in the rear left corner and the other sub on the front right of my room as the other options will not work for my room. Ive ordered a Y splitter since my amp does not have dual sub ports. Glad to be back on the Home theatre craze since I got my new home!

Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k - 58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Samsung UBD‑K8500 - PS3 - XBox Scorpio soon -
Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference
Speakers and Sub : Def Tech BP 10s - Def Tech CLR 2000 - Def tech UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - Def tech BPX Rears
Supercube II

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m wondering if the extra $1,400 for SVS dual subs is really worth the investment over dual Supercube II’s?
Yes. Absolutely yes. Subs are not Deftech's strong suit by a longshot. I think you'll be shocked if you hear the PB2000's. SVS specialized in subs first, not the other way around.

I’m also wondering if eventually upgrading my bp10s to bp 30s would make a huge difference with movies and music? If I can find them close to me at some point that is. Im also pretty happy with the CLR 2000 and wondering if there was a major upgrade that would be worth considering for the center?
An identical speaker is the ideal match for the center channel. Have you considered looking outside the Deftech family for speakers? They make some decent speakers, but there a lot of other companies (ID brands also) that make very good speakers in the price range you're thinking of for an upgrade. If you want a small improvement, get a better center channel. If you want to go from SD to HD you'll want to take a look at your front 3.

Can anyone also recommend the crossover settings for my potential dual subs? I’m still a newbie when it comes to home audio and depend on the calibration tool for setup. I am going to have a Sub in the rear left corner and the other sub on the front right of my room as the other options will not work for my room. Ive ordered a Y splitter since my amp does not have dual sub ports. Glad to be back on the Home theatre craze since I got my new home!

Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k - 58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Samsung UBD‑K8500 - PS3 - XBox Scorpio soon -
Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference
Speakers and Sub : Def Tech BP 10s - Def Tech CLR 2000 - Def tech UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - Def tech BPX Rears
Supercube II
Most folks (me included) go with 80hz. That's a good general starting point. You can experiment up or down and dial it in the way you like it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nathan from Funk Audio mentioned something like this to me once: Your subwoofer sound quality won't reach it's full potential without some kind of good EQ.

I didn't want to believe him at the time because I always thought "Equalization" was a dirty word. :D

But after comparing Audyssey Dynamic EQ On vs Off, my interest was 100% piqued.

At first I thought maybe Dynamic EQ just pumped up the subwoofer level and made it "HOT". So I pumped up the subwoofer level to +6dB and +9dB HOT. But the sound was nothing like with Dynamic EQ On.

So I concluded that it was the Equalization of the mid-bass by Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Too bad you don't have a Denon or Marantz with Audyssey Dynamic EQ to try out.

I don't know if your Pioneer has some kind of Dynamic EQ for the bass.

Adding another sub may increase the subwoofer bass level and may smooth out some spots in the room.

But unless you have some kind of good bass EQ, Your subwoofer sound quality won't reach it's full potential without some kind of good bass EQ.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis