Definitive Technology - CLR3000

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Wow! wouldn't you know it my Definitive Technology CLR3000 center speaker finally came in when i was out of town on business.

I have to say that matched front and center speakers really do make a difference.

I installed the CLR3000 along with my 7002 towers and recalibrated and the timbre and sound is awesome!.

Center, normally provides most of the vocal sound on TV and Movies. The CLR3000 has a built-in 150 watt power 1o inch subwoofer, so the center can be set as large. That along with a 1" dome tweeter and two 6 1/2 Inch upper-bass/mid range drivers gives a very wide range and realistic center channel sound.

In my case it perfectly fits on the top shelve on my Amoire cabinet above the TV and visually is astehtica and unnoticable ... that is except for the sound
;)

My experiential advce:

(1) Put your money in the front and center speakers :)
(2) Match the timbre :)
(3) Buy one level higher than you think you can afford :D

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Glad it finally came in and you can now enjoy it, and it's even not the driver size match for your fronts, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it even though it has larger drivers. The 3000 is a serious center that sounds fantastic. Mine is also a perfect fit where I have it, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Actually you are correct ...

Glad it finally came in and you can now enjoy it, and it's even not the driver size match for your fronts, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it even though it has larger drivers. The 3000 is a serious center that sounds fantastic. Mine is also a perfect fit where I have it, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
.... I guess the CLR2500 has the same size 5 /14" speaker match, but I had heard such good reviews of the 3000 ( I think one of them was from you :) ) I went it it. There is no looking back.

Even the boss comment on the how nice the new sound was :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I had the CLR3000 and was going to get the BP7002s but found a deal I couldn't pass up on the BP7001SCs. I don't think the mismatched driver sized would have made that much of a difference though, and I would rather the center have the larger drivers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just like a lot of things in life, so much of what we believe and do is based on theories. In real life, a lot of these things are very insignificant even when there is an actual difference. But in most cases, there is no difference.:D

I bet if we put our CLR3000 (and other great Center speakers) in someone else's system with a completely different brand of speakers, it would still sound GREAT.:D

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Yes, but the problem is ...

Just like a lot of things in life, so much of what we believe and do is based on theories. In real life, a lot of these things are very insignificant even when there is an actual difference. But in most cases, there is no difference.:D

I bet if we put our CLR3000 (and other great Center speakers) in someone else's system with a completely different brand of speakers, it would still sound GREAT.:D
The CLR3000 would drown out the fronts, abeit with better sound.

I wnet back through Audessy equalization.and didn't like the results. I actually had to put about -6dB on the center so I could have good volume on the fronts -LOL.

But alas the price to pay, now I will have to take everything appart and reconnect. In order to get the CLR3000 I had to upgrade the carpet and when they install the carpet I have to deinstall all my electronics. Oh well, I am the master of connections

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I went back through Audessy equalization and didn't like the results. I actually had to put about -6dB on the center so I could have good volume on the fronts -LOL.
Oh, did I tell you I just hate any kind of EQs?

10 times out of 10, EQs will just screw things up IMO.

Does your Marantz have a 7.1/5.1 Pure Diret mode (in addition to 2.0 Pure Direct)?

One good thing about having built-in subs is that you don't really need bass management. If you need more bass, you just turn up the Bass Gain Control. If its too much bass, you turn it down.:D

Ever since I started this hobby, I've always turned up my Center speaker to +1 or 2dB above the rest. Right now, it is sitting @ +1dB above the other channels. The Trinity is sitting about +5dB above the rest.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis