Definitive Technology BP8B or BP7006

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I'm trying to setup a second partial HT system and I'm considering the BP8B or the BP7006 ($200 more for the pair).

My setup will be either 2.0 or 3.0 (with SM450 as center if it works).

The usage will be 50% TV, 30% music (not critical listening, just ambient), 20% movies.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping I can get some help on:

-Which of the two ranks higher in the DT product range? That is, which one uses better quality components? The 7006 has the higher MSRP but it also has a built in sub.

-Since DT is not very accurate with their FR, does anyone know what the 3dB points are for the two of them? Essentially, I just want to know if the BP8B will be good enough without a sub for non-critical music and some movie watching?

-Will the SM450 be a decent center to use with either?

-For the price difference of $200, is the SQ much better with the BP8B and the Energy S10.3. I'm reluctant to add a sub due to visual clutter, but will strongly consider for appreciably improved SQ.

Thanks for your help!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The SM450 will be a good center for you, as far as the BP8 vs BP7006, if you can place the 7006 so you get good bass response from the sub, then get it, otherwise get the BP8 since it has larger woofers, and can still produce surprisingly good bass for it's size. No matter what you get, a stand alond sub will still be your best bet.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
The SM450 will be a good center for you, as far as the BP8 vs BP7006, if you can place the 7006 so you get good bass response from the sub, then get it, otherwise get the BP8 since it has larger woofers, and can still produce surprisingly good bass for it's size. No matter what you get, a stand alond sub will still be your best bet.
Thanks, GlocksRock. Yes, my vote is for a separate sub too, however, that's going to take a little convincing, if you know what I mean ;)

SQ-wise, not much difference, then, between the BP8B and the 7006?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Both sound really good, I've had both in my bedroom, and currently still have the BP7006, you would be very happy with either one, and they are very similar in size. There are plenty of good small sized subs out there, so if that's your only concern, it shouldn't take too much convincing hopefully. Definitive supercube subs are very small, and have very impressive output for their size.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Both sound really good, I've had both in my bedroom, and currently still have the BP7006, you would be very happy with either one, and they are very similar in size. There are plenty of good small sized subs out there, so if that's your only concern, it shouldn't take too much convincing hopefully. Definitive supercube subs are very small, and have very impressive output for their size.
Looks like I'm going with the BP8, then and putting the $200 towards a TBD sub. Thanks for your help, GlocksRock.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis