Definitive Technology Bipolar HELP needed

T

The sound guy

Audioholic Intern
I've been a happy Definitive Technology speaker owner for a few years now. However the time has come for a few updates and my relative lack of listening experience brings me here for your advice. Here are the two components of my theatre system I'm keeping:

1) Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS A/V receiver
2) One Velodyne DD-10 sub in the back of my room. (located there to keep marital bliss)

First I'm swapping my rear surround ProCinema 100 speakers with a pair of BP 1.2x speakers. (speaker size limited to keep that same martial bliss)

Then I'm swapping my C/L/R 2002 with a C/L/R 2500.

The last stage is the big problem. Currently I have a pair of StudioMonitor 350 speakers I'm using as my mains. I was thinking of swapping those speakers with either a pair of BP8B or BP7006 speakers. The concept of a wider soundstage is what's driving me in that direction. Keeping in mind that I have a great rear sub and a front sub in the C/L/R 2500 now, would you advise me to just keep my 350 speakers, or do you recommend a particular one of the Bipolar towers I mentioned???

I appreciate any help you could provide.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have a c/l/r 2002, BP8B as my mains, and BP1.2x as my surrounds and they all sound fantastic. You will probably benefit most from the 1.2x, but I would go with the BP7006 up front if you want more subs, otherwise the BP8B will give you a larger mid/woofer. I've not heard the studio monitors, but I would imagine if you wanted a larger soundstage, then bipolar is the way to go.

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
I have had bipolars for over 8 years now. I recently upgraded to the 7001's. I really like the bipolar sound stage.

T

The sound guy

Audioholic Intern
I have a c/l/r 2002, BP8B as my mains, and BP1.2x as my surrounds and they all sound fantastic. You will probably benefit most from the 1.2x, but I would go with the BP7006 up front if you want more subs, otherwise the BP8B will give you a larger mid/woofer. I've not heard the studio monitors, but I would imagine if you wanted a larger soundstage, then bipolar is the way to go.
Thanks for your response. I hadn't thought of the fact that the BP7006 has smaller drivers. The BP7004 has matching drivers, but the tower height poses a problem with my very tight setup.

My StudioMonitor 350 speakers have a 5 1/4" bass/midrange and a 1" pure aluminum driver.

T

The sound guy

Audioholic Intern
I have had bipolars for over 8 years now. I recently upgraded to the 7001's. I really like the bipolar sound stage.
Thank you for helping. What bipolar speakers did you use initially? I'm not familair with your newer BP7001.

G

Guap Oh

Enthusiast
I've been on the Sandy Gross train since inception in early 90's. Bought my BP20's in 1992. Love them dearly and drive them hard. You will not go wrong with the BP's of any size.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First I'm swapping my rear surround ProCinema 100 speakers with a pair of BP 1.2x speakers.

Then I'm swapping my C/L/R 2002 with a C/L/R 2500.

The last stage is the big problem. Currently I have a pair of StudioMonitor 350 speakers I'm using as my mains. I was thinking of swapping those speakers with either a pair of BP8B or BP7006 speakers. The concept of a wider soundstage is what's driving me in that direction. Keeping in mind that I have a great rear sub and a front sub in the C/L/R 2500 now, would you advise me to just keep my 350 speakers, or do you recommend a particular one of the Bipolar towers I mentioned???
Fronts L+R: BP7004 (27Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, 5.25" midrange-bass & 1" tweeter)

Center: CLR2500 (28Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, 5.25" midrange-bass & 1" tweeter)

Surrounds L+R: SM350 (57Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, 5.25" midrange-bass & 1" tweeter)

You realize that the subwoofer in the CLR2500 is not for the LFE/subwoofer channel, right?

BP8Bs would also be great for fronts L+R.

Last edited:
T

The sound guy

Audioholic Intern
The C/L/R will be placed on a equipment cabinet about 25 inches under my Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD plasma display.

T

The sound guy

Audioholic Intern
QUOTE: "You realize that the subwoofer in the CLR2500 is not for the LFE/subwoofer channel, right?"

I do have the ability to use either the center channel pre-amp output or I could add a "Y-adaptor" at the LFE output signal from the A/V receiver. The second cable from the 'Y-adaptor' would go to the LFE Sub.

Why don't you feel the LFE singal shouldn't to go the amp in the C/L/R 2500?

Thanks.

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for helping. What bipolar speakers did you use initially? I'm not familair with your newer BP7001.
I had the 2002tl's which were replaced by the 7002. Magnolia does not stock 7000sc or 7001sc. They are the 2 largest,most expensive models.
On another subject, I would not run lfe to the sub in the cc. It could interfear with the dialogue. Just my opinion.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
QUOTE: "You realize that the subwoofer in the CLR2500 is not for the LFE/subwoofer channel, right?"

I do have the ability to use either the center channel pre-amp output or I could add a "Y-adaptor" at the LFE output signal from the A/V receiver. The second cable from the 'Y-adaptor' would go to the LFE Sub.

Why don't you feel the LFE singal shouldn't to go the amp in the C/L/R 2500?

Thanks.
Actually the Owners Manual says specifically that the FULL RANGE RCA input on the CLR speaker is not meant to be used as a LFE/subwoofer input. If you look at the back of the CLR, it says "FULL RANGE LOW LEVEL", not "LFE".

On the BP7006 - 7000SCs, it does say "LFE".

I would not take a change on plugging the subwoofer/LFE output into the CLR2500.

When I do get a new house and projector (like the new Epson 1080 Ultra Black), I plan on getting another BP7000SC to be used as a Center Speaker. To me, the bigger the better.

Last edited:
itschris

itschris

I agree with the thoughts posted here on the center sub. Since the vast majority of audioble material comes through your center, the sub is there to dig deep in the range of dialogue, soundtrack, and other audible effects. That's not what LFE is for. I can't even imagine that would sound good. At best I think you'd be handicapping an otherwise superb setup.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with the thoughts posted here on the center sub. Since the vast majority of audioble material comes through your center, the sub is there to dig deep in the range of dialogue, soundtrack, and other audible effects. That's not what LFE is for. I can't even imagine that would sound good. At best I think you'd be handicapping an otherwise superb setup.
I've definitely heard low bass from the CLR3000, but it was occasional MUSIC bass and sound effects bass (explosions), not dialogue. I think continuous high level low bass through the CLR3000 will distort the sound quality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis