Definitive Technology A60 Dolby Atmos Speakers - An Inside Look

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys;

Got in my first set of Atmos speakers from Def Tech. See images. Looks like they are using a 3” paper driver similar to what I've seen Radio Shack use via their Tandy brand. The driver does have good extension out to 15kHz though.

The crossover has 8 elements. 3 inductors (1 air core, 2 iron), 3 caps (1 poly, 2 electro), 2 resistors.

I also pulled some measurements. It looks like they are attempting to do the 7kHz boost and 12kHz cut but not really succeeding too well as expected since they are trying to do it in the analog domain. I don’t understand the 2kHz notch. That’s not part of the Dolby spec. See attached Dolby target curve as well. It's possible the enclosure is causing this. I will need to measure the output of the crossover to determine for sure.

Sensitivity is around 85dB (2.83V/1 meter) and the speaker appears to be 6 ohm nominal. Def Tech doesn't specify sensitivity or impedance as far as I know but this seems right based on a 3" paper driver in a sealed enclosure.

Man this driver is being boosted so close to resonance, not a good idea IMO. At least they have good consistency in the crossover as you can see with my impedance measurements of the two samples.

Listening tests to follow, and then a review....

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->

Attachments

Last edited:
N

Navy Guy

Audiophyte
Which side goes toward the front? The side with the foam and speaker or the hard flat side? Just trying to figure out whether the speakers are angled away and up or toward and up.

Nice write-up by the way. I think it is always interesting to see commercial speakers taken apart. That seems like a crazy amount of passive filtering going on.

W

William Cook

Audiophyte
Gene, thanks for the excellent info re the Def Tech A60's. One thing that I would like to know is the angle of mounting of the 3" driver. It seems that many other speaker mfrs are using 20 degrees. It look like the A60's are just about the same.
I ask because I am trying to figure out what the optimum seating distance from the 8060 towers would be for the Atmos effect. In my dedicated home theater, the A60 driver would be about 48" from the floor. With a 9' ceiling, I calculate that the optimum seating distance would be 15.5 feet from the 8060ST towers.
That is using trig assuming perfect 90 degree reflections, which, of course, they are not. Just being a little anal about it. But, I think that I need to move the 8060's back toward the front wall. Right now, I have them 41" from the front wall. I am thinking more like 18" to 24" from the front wall.
Thanks again for the excellent technical review.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, thanks for the excellent info re the Def Tech A60's. One thing that I would like to know is the angle of mounting of the 3" driver. It seems that many other speaker mfrs are using 20 degrees. It look like the A60's are just about the same.
I ask because I am trying to figure out what the optimum seating distance from the 8060 towers would be for the Atmos effect. In my dedicated home theater, the A60 driver would be about 48" from the floor. With a 9' ceiling, I calculate that the optimum seating distance would be 15.5 feet from the 8060ST towers.
That is using trig assuming perfect 90 degree reflections, which, of course, they are not. Just being a little anal about it. But, I think that I need to move the 8060's back toward the front wall. Right now, I have them 41" from the front wall. I am thinking more like 18" to 24" from the front wall.
Thanks again for the excellent technical review.
Hi William;

I wouldn't get too technical about this and would leave your front channels in the optimal location for two-channel imaging and soundstage. Much of the sound from the A60s is diffuse and ambient more than precise localization up at the ceiling like the marketing photos show you.

I have a review of the A60s going online this coming week so stay tuned.

W

William Cook

Audiophyte
Gene, I can never leave well enough alone. I thought that I would share the responses that I got from Definitive Technology support...

"Thanks for your recent email to Definitive Technology. The A60 would normally sit 48" above the floor - and its driver is angled upward at approximately 30 degrees.", and...

"Thanks for your recent email to Definitive Technology. When used in a listening room with a 9 foot ceiling, I'd recommend placing the A60 on top your towers - with your towers approximately 9-10 feet away from the main listening position. (I'd also place the speakers approximately 8-10 feet apart from each other.)"

I wanted to share the info, in particular, because the recommended spacing is a bit closer than I would have suspected, and could certainly impact the testing.

Trying to help...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Definitive Technology A60 Dolby Atmos Elevation Speaker Review

The Definitive Technology A60 Atmos Elevation speaker features a 3" treated paper driver in a sealed enclosure that retails for $499/pair. It's meant to be a companion speaker to their venerable BP-8060ST towers though it's no match tonally or dynamically. It's hard to imagine such a reputable company producing a speaker like this, but the A60 sadly failed to impress us. The Dolby technology over-complicates the crossover design and also impacts the price and performance. We don't recommend this speaker unless you simply cannot mount discrete speakers on your ceiling and you want to get your foot into the Atmos door with an aesthetic match for your BP-8060ST tower speaker system.

Read the Definitive Technology A60 Dolby Atmos Speaker Review

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
What the blazes. 200Hz upwards. Why most older tv's I mean 70's would have ether range from 100Hz to 8KHz or so. This Dolby atmos is like back to the future past with that ridiculous frequency response.

$500.00 for pay. Daylight robbery. You can get x10 JBL for about £345.00 on ebay have that would be enough for x2 on back wall and x4 each side wall and x4 on the ceiling and have modest freq from 70Hz to 20KHz and have mounting bracket that can fitted up in matter of minutes for each one.

Even the JBL selected for cinema is nothing more than PA speakers. It has 8ohm range freq 55 to 20kHz, bat, cat range and handling power 400watts yet they are bit pricey for each one. :D

I listened to some Definitive Technology tower and centre I think around late '90's (THX) they had bass 10" I think fitted to the side and drivers front and back of the enclosure and nice shiny smooth black finish but the price was light-years out of my range.

Maybe try THX dipolars or bipolars fitted to side walls back wall a few each on side wall and x4 on the ceiling to see what the results will be? This atmos speaker has to be debunked.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis