Def Tec 2500 Ultimate hook-up??

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
I have a Def Tec CLR2500 for my center and was going to try the "Ultimate hook-up" as described in the owners manual. It show to bi-wire the High and Mid post which I understand. My question comes in the "Full Range Low Level In". This is what the manual says: "If you dont have 2 sets of center channel low-level full range out puts (which i dont think i have), use a Y connector coming out of the center channel pre-out of your receiver or amp with one half of the Y going to the main center in of your receiver or amp and the other half going to the low-level input on your 2500". It also says that not all receivers have a low-level full-range center channel output and that I may not be able to use this hook-up method. By the way, I have a Denon 3805. I have attached photos of the owners manual and of the back of the 3805. I have highlighted the 2 Center in-outs that i saw. Are these the 2 inputs that I should be using or can i use this hook-up? Thanks for any help.

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/OmegaSupreme26/?action=view&current=3805.jpg][/URL]

[url=http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/OmegaSupreme26/?action=view&current=CenterSetup.jpg][/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you are NOT using an external Amp, you don't need any additional cables (Y-cables, etc.).

You don't need the Ext In Center.

Let your receiver's internal amps drive the center speaker (bi-wire). Then hook the Center Pre-Out from the receiver to the Full-Range Low-Level Input of the CLR2500.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Thanks AcuDef. Is this how you have yours setup? If so do you know if this setup is better than hooking it up with one pair of speaker cables? This is how i have mine connected now.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have both of my def tech powered center channels hooked up with just one set of speaker wire, no tri amping... just the receiver powering the highs, and the built in amp pushing the built in sub. I really doubt you would hear a difference if you tri amped your system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks AcuDef. Is this how you have yours setup? If so do you know if this setup is better than hooking it up with one pair of speaker cables? This is how i have mine connected now.
At one point I did have it set up like that (Tri-amp). However, I couldn't tell the difference between Tri-amping and a single set of speaker wires, which is in effect Bi-amping (one amp for the Highs and Mids & one Internal amp for the Subwoofer).

That is one point that most people don't realize. Even when you "single" amp (using a single external amp), you are actually Bi-amping!:D

So in my setup, every single speaker (FL, FR, FC, SL, SR) is Bi-amped because each speaker has a built-in amp for the subwoofer.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Thanks for the replys. I guess i will just keep it the way it is... For now anyway:). Why do you think Def Tec says this is the "Ultimate hook-up" and why do you think they go thru the trouble and expense to add this ability? You would think they would just put one set of speaker terminals to save on cost. I wonder if this is why the 7002's only have one pair of posts and the older 2002 models have the same as the 2500. Who knows. I may end up trying this one day but its not worth trying to pull my receiver out of my cabinet unless it was going to make a big difference. Thanks again for your replys.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the replys. I guess i will just keep it the way it is... For now anyway:). Why do you think Def Tec says this is the "Ultimate hook-up" and why do you think they go thru the trouble and expense to add this ability? You would think they would just put one set of speaker terminals to save on cost. I wonder if this is why the 7002's only have one pair of posts and the older 2002 models have the same as the 2500. Who knows. I may end up trying this one day but its not worth trying to pull my receiver out of my cabinet unless it was going to make a big difference. Thanks again for your replys.
The BP7000SC & BP7001SC both have 2 sets of speaker posts.

Some speakers, like Meridian, have 3 sets of speaker posts.

Some people feel like they must have their ways with bi-amp and tri-amp.

I suppose they wanted to please everyone.:D

It doesn't hurt either way.

But it sure looks cool with 3 speaker posts, doesn't it?:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you have your receiver powering the center with one set of speaker wires, and have the sub plugged in, what benefit are you supposed to get from using the center pre out on your receiver?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you have your receiver powering the center with one set of speaker wires, and have the sub plugged in, what benefit are you supposed to get from using the center pre out on your receiver?
Theoretically, you are "milking" every possible bass from the center channel.:D

Theoretically.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You really think it makes any difference at all?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis