Deep Color displays

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Regarding Deep Color - are there any displays capable of it available today?

I'm seeing stuff like this literature for this Sony Bravia LCD display that says:

(includes hdmi v1.3 features such as x.v. color and Deep Color)

But that's not telling me that the set itself is capable of displaying 30-bit color depth - just that HDMI 1.3 is capable of it.

If this HDTV isn't displaying "deep color" this product description is very misleading!

Please, correct me if I'm wrong - I'm making a series of assumptions based on some research but I want to make sure I have connected the dots.

If you had a display capable of accepting Deep Color xvYCC through HDMI 1.3...

A/ The set would also need Deep Color processing with high end video processors which would probably be named in a spec list.

B/ Your playback device (HD DVD or Blu-ray player) would need to be capable of reading and bitstreaming Deep Color. I've never seen one that made that claim.

C/ Lastly you'd need media written with the deep color specification in mind. I am not certain that your average Blu-ray disc 1080P@24fps even has that kind of color depth on disc.

I'm curios if these assumptions are correct.

If so is it safe to assume we're years away from Deep Color ever being a reality and anyone in the market for HDMI 1.3 gear - deep color probably shouldn't even be a consideration because of all the other interdependencies.

It's my suspicion that if you bought this Sony Bravia HDTV linked above it will never display a 30-bit color depth. Despite its HDMI 1.3 input being capable of accepting a deep color video signal - the HDTV can do nothing about.

Thanks in advance if anyone can speak on this topic.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If the color depth is 30 bits then it is 10 bits per pixel and a display with a 10 bit panel could display it. The high end of the Toshiba LCD lineup are 10 bit panels with a 14 bit video processor and claim support for Deep Color.

Most of the new TVs coming out advertise support for Deep Color but players and media have yet to catch up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis