sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
Ok, I am going to take the plunge and order an SVS sub within the next week. I am torn between the PC-Ultra and the PC-Plus 20/39. I am tempted to go with the Ultra but it is $500 more. I don't know if I can justify that on my first sub. But Everyone says how amazing the Ultra is but I haven't heard too many people talk about the 20/39. Any feedback about each would be greatly appreciated and a direct comparison would be extremely helpful. Any advice in general would help a lot. I would say at the moment I am leaning toward the 20/39 due to my budget. But I still need help making up my mind :confused:...

My listening room is a living room (16'x14'x10') and opens up with about a 10' wide opening into the kitchen (18'x12'x10'). There is also a 3' opening into a hallway that leads to the rest of the bedrooms. I like to play it loud :D. It has to be a cylinder because it's the only size that will fit. About 75% music, 25% movies. I know this question gets asked a million times but this is the big decision. help....

Last edited:
croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
My view is this: start with a decent sub, and then you will be able to appreciate moving to a great sub later. That's essentially what I did. Especially if you don't have the finances for the great sub now.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
know this though, for 500 bucks more, i think you get twice the output :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I had a room about the size of yours and if I were you I would get the Ultra 13. From the way you describe your needs, it will due the trick trust me on that one. Mike added a valid point in that you will get close to, if not more, than twice the output for your money with the Ultra 13. Good luck in your decision.

Cheers,

Phil

Matt34

Matt34

If it's financially feasible go with the Ultra, you'll have no regrets and most likely won't feel the need to upgrade for a very long time.

A

Alex at SVS

Audioholic Intern
If you like to play loud, then I'd say the Ultra if it's at all possible. The PC-Plus would work very well in that room but won't have the impact/slam at louder volumes like the PC-Ultra.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I say this often: There is no such thing as too much sub, there is only a limit to what you are willing to spend. I say spend a little more and get the best you can realistically afford so that you don't end up spending more in the long run because you need to upgrade. Having said that, I do think the 20-39Plus will easily fill that room. I have heard both of these subs in a similar size room (open to another room) and while the Plus sounded very good in it, the Ultra outclasses it in sound quality and quantity without breaking a sweat.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
If you like to play loud, then I'd say the Ultra if it's at all possible. The PC-Plus would work very well in that room but won't have the impact/slam at louder volumes like the PC-Ultra.
Oh why oh why didn't I get the Ultra :(

Trust me sgtpepper9, get the Ultra, you will never look back and you will never say "Why oh Why didn't I get the Ultra!"

The 20-39 is no slouch at all, I know, I have one and I am happy with it to say the least, but if you are thinking Ultra, get Ultra.

You will not regret either purchase, the 20-39 or the Ultra, at all, but nor do you want to get Ultraitis after less than a year of ownership of the 20-39.

Please trust me, please, please.......

Cheers
Michael

Edits
Do not take any statements made above to mean that in anyway shape or form the 20-39 is somehow an inferior sub as it is not. There is only one thing that rocks my world more than my 20-39 and that is my wife (are you reading this honey? :D). My sub continualy blows my mind and I now know what it is like to have a "real" sub, there are just many days I wish I had chosen the Ultra and more or less because I want more of a good thing, no, make that a GREAT thing.

Last edited:
Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I say this often: There is no such thing as too much sub, there is only a limit to what you are willing to spend. I say spend a little more and get the best you can realistically afford so that you don't end up spending more in the long run because you need to upgrade. Having said that, I do think the 20-39Plus will easily fill that room. I have heard both of these subs in a similar size room (open to another room) and while the Plus sounded very good in it, the Ultra outclasses it in sound quality and quantity without breaking a sweat.
I concur with all of this. I've not heard either sub, but own a Box PB13-Ultra and the output is beyond belief. If you like it loud buy the Ultra and be happy now.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
My view is this: start with a decent sub, and then you will be able to appreciate moving to a great sub later. That's essentially what I did. Especially if you don't have the finances for the great sub now.
That way costs more money in the long run. If one buys new equipment and later resells it, one almost certainly will lose money. A lot of people have wasted a lot of money doing things that way, and if they only had saved up for something really good, they would have better equipment for their money than doing upgrades from lessor equipment. If one can afford it, one should buy a subwoofer that is good enough that one never feels the need to upgrade it. In my opinion, the ONLY reasons to go with a lessor sub are if money or space are lacking for the best.

To sgtpepper9:

If you can afford the Ultra, just buy it. If it has more capability than you need, it will do no harm, but if you buy a lessor one and need more bass, you will be out more money in the long run. And if you like a lot of deep bass, there is a good chance you will want an Ultra. Also, when you push a subwoofer to its limits, it typically distorts more than when operating well within its limits. So, even if the lessor one would give you enough bass, it might be less distorted with a better subwoofer, if the lessor one is pushed to its limits. Since you say you can afford it, just buy the Ultra. Otherwise, you will probably be buying one anyway in a couple of years, and will have wasted money.

If you are married, your spouse will probably like it if you have no plans on ever upgrading. I have 2 of the old SVS CS-Ultra subwoofers, and I have no plans on ever upgrading them. And I have Aurum Cantus Leisure 2SE (U.S. version) speakers (all channels), and I don't plan on ever upgrading them. My wife is very happy about that. And it all sounds great, and the speakers are beautiful. Here you can see pictures (of the newer version), though the pictures do not do them justice:

http://www.kellsieavdesign.com/products/Leisure2SE.htm

Anyway, just buy the Ultra and be happy that you have a great subwoofer.

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
Yall sure are convincing...I would say I was 70/30 with the 20-39 last night but now I'm leaning toward the Ultra...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Oh why oh why didn't I get the Ultra :(

Trust me sgtpepper9, get the Ultra, you will never look back and you will never say "Why oh Why didn't I get the Ultra!"
I agree with this statement.

Your always going to "Wonder" how the Ultra would have performed. Once you question yourself as you are doing now. You might as will get the Ultra and never have to "Wonder" again.

majorloser

majorloser

I agree with this statement.

Your always going to "Wonder" how the Ultra would have performed. Once you question yourself as you are doing now. You might as will get the Ultra and never have to "Wonder" again.
"In for a penny, in for a pound."

You might as well go all the way with a pair of Ultras. :cool:
(spend that income tax refund)

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
If one can afford it, one should buy a subwoofer that is good enough that one never feels the need to upgrade it. .

If one can afford it...There in lies the limit you see. I feel like I have been able to appreciate the increased performance of the Ultra by not breaking the bank early on with a "lesser" sub which happened to seem very pricey to me at the time. If my first sub had been the Ultra, I don't think I would have appreciated it's truely incredible performance as much. But by all means if you can afford it get it. :) Now I wonder how two Ultras will perform you see...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If one can afford it...There in lies the limit you see. I feel like I have been able to appreciate the increased performance of the Ultra by not breaking the bank early on with a "lesser" sub which happened to seem very pricey to me at the time. If my first sub had been the Ultra, I don't think I would have appreciated it's truely incredible performance as much. But by all means if you can afford it get it. :) Now I wonder how two Ultras will perform you see...

Yes, "if one can afford it" is an important part of the sentence. Obviously, one should not ruin one's finances by going into debt one cannot afford for a subwoofer. From what I hear, the bottom of the line from SVS is a pretty good subwoofer, and that would be a smarter choice than going with an Ultra if one can only afford the lessor subwoofer. With no money, going without is wisest, especially since waiting until one can afford something can often result in better equipment in the end.

For what it is worth, I own two of the old SVS CS-Ultra subwoofers, and although I like having two, the second one is not a dramatic improvement. My room is about 250 sq. ft. I have the subwoofers tuned for 15 Hz, which means that my maximum possible output is reduced to close to what I could get from one tuned to 20 Hz. Viewed from a purely "bang for the buck" point of view, a second one isn't worth it (except that in my case I bought mine used, and the guy was selling them together, for what I consider to be a good price [excellent condition, less than half new price]). Of course, if one is almost enough output, then two might be just exactly enough.

The new Ultras are supposed to be better than the old ones, and it may be that your one Ultra is about as good as my two Ultras.

As for just getting an Ultra first and appreciating it, all one would need to do is go to a friend's house and listen to his or her system, which, even if the person is interested in audio, it will likely have a subwoofer inferior to one's own Ultra (because the vast majority of subwoofers are inferior to the SVS Ultra). Then one would be glad to have the Ultra and not waste time on lessor subwoofers.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Yall sure are convincing...I would say I was 70/30 with the 20-39 last night but now I'm leaning toward the Ultra...
Now, don't go into debt over it, but if you can afford it, and if you are not one of those crazies who always feels a need for the latest and greatest, buying the Ultra may be getting you the last subwoofer you ever need to buy (depending, of course, on how long it lasts). I have two of the old SVS CS-Ultras, and although the new Ultra is supposed to be better, I have no intention of ever upgrading. If you can have that same kind of attitude, you will not feel the need to buy the next Ultra that will come out in a few years (perhaps a model with a 15" woofer that goes down another 5 Hz or has 10 dB more output...).

Some people are never satisfied with what they have, and always want something else. If you are one of those people, then buying the Ultra may not save you money in the long run. But if you are not one of those crazies, the Ultra will possibly save you money in the long run.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Like the others I recommend the Ultra. A pair of Pluses had a tad more output above 25hz (at least to my ears), but weren't nearly as articulate (and they were very clean). That $500 delta buys you a reference sub. Do you need it...probably not. Can you live without it...sure. Can you afford it...that's the question, cuz I know you want it :D.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Then one would be glad to have the Ultra and not waste time on lessor subwoofers.

For more the "lesser" sub was certainly not a waste of time. As I said, it served me very well for nearly six years.

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
At the moment, I am still undecided. But before I decide I have another question. Does anyone think getting the Avia Setup DVD and SPL meter is necessary? I was thinking about getting an SPL meter but I don't know if she setup dvd is worth $50. But...I've never used one. Should I get it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis