J

jdrocs

Enthusiast
OK,
I need to some help. I thought I had my mind made up on the Onkyo SR605.

Is there a reason the Denon 1908 does not get a lot of reviews and threads. I am buying my receiver this weekend and can get this one brand new for 499.00. The watts are a little low; but from what I read Denon gets better than average efficiency out of their systems.

It compares favorably to the Marantz SR4002, Yamaha RX V661, and the Onkyo SR605. If you could pick any of these four, which would you take and why? I really could use some help with the technical side. The why is very important if it has to do with connecting a cable box and blueray player.

I want the receiver to process all the sound. If that means separate connections for audio (receiver) and video (tv) so be it. I will have HD TV (Cable) and a old DVD hooked up at first; but eventually I will add BlueRay.

I do not own a gaming system but I will connect my laptop to the system every now and then. If I can do this via the receiver fine; but if not my TV has a connection for the PC that is easy to use.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i would pick the 661 from yamaha because it has pre-outs :)

(just in case you need more power to your speakers)

unless that's the NON CI version 1908 which does have pre-outs.

J

jdrocs

Enthusiast
Yes it is the non CI and I think it does have pre outs. It has two sets of main speaker connections also. Thing is, I have read so many good things about all four of these receivers it is really tough to make a decision.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I was also looking at the 1908 when trying to decide on a receiver and ended up not getting because it was too pricey for what you get. That and the fact that it just doesn't look that well built compared to the older Denon models. Ended up going for the Yamaha RX-V661 when BB had it for $449 and haven't regretted it. But then again my receiver before the 661 was also a Yamaha. :D

J

jdrocs

Enthusiast
The Denon is still pricey; but I found it on special for 499.00 from authorized dealer. That is the only reason I am considering it. If it was still 599.00, I would not even think about it.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Also would like to add that the lower end Denon's are not happy powering 4ohm speakers so that is something to consider as well.

J

jdrocs

Enthusiast
Also would like to add that the lower end Denon's are not happy powering 4ohm speakers so that is something to consider as well.
I have ordered four BIC Acoustech HT-63 Surrounds to test. If I do not like them, will move them into my bedroom. If I like them, I will finish out my system with two towers and a center.

If the Acoustech HT-63 Surrounds do not work, I am going to go with Klipsch. Main reason I am trying out the Acoustech 1st is they are suppose to sound like a poor man's Klipsch.

Which describes me perfectly :D

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Bic speakers

The Acoustechs should be comparable to the Klipsch Synergy line. The Klipsch reference speakers are in a higher price/performance bracket.

If you don't like the horn loaded tweeter sound of the Acoustechs, then you should consider speakers with a more traditional dome tweeter.

The claim to fame of Klipsch and other horn loaded speakers is they require less power to play loud so any of the listed receivers should have plenty of power.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis