Decision time for 2-channel amp or receiver

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Situation: A master bedroom (MBR) about 15'x15'x8'. We have had a MBR system for over a year, comprised of a NAD316BEE supplied analog audio input from a Bluray player and a Bluetooth receiver, in turn powering a pair of Wharfedale 10.1s.

Problem: The MBR Samsung TV has optical audio OUT (no analog) and the NAD316BEE does not have optical audio IN. I didn't think I would mind lesser sound for "just TV", but after a year the TV sound is just not cutting it compared to the system sound (i.e. bluray/dvd/cd and BT audio from tablet).

Opportunity: College age son moved out and I am getting his old room for an office/2-channel system. Therefore will be moving the NAD316BEE into that room and have opportunity to get replacement amp or receiver for the MBR.

Requirements: Only need 2-speakers (no more, no less); optical input a must; no sub planned, but not opposed to having sub-out option; simple better than complex (very frequently used by Mrs. EagleDriver!); slim height fits space best (height ~4" desired, ~6" max); don't do Onkyo (no offense intended).

After research, reviews, and establishing budget ($500 max), I have narrowed search to three options at A4L:

X) YAMAHA R-N500 Stereo Receiver, ~$380:
PROs lowest cost, strong reviews, sub out, potential to connect to network;
CONS 6" tall and don't need tuner.

Y) MARANTZ NR1605 7.1 AVR, ~$400:
PROs lots of capabilities, moderate cost;
CONS complexity and several poor reliability reviews.

Z) MARANTZ PM6005 Integrated, ~$500:
PROs slimline, strong reviews, simplest;
CONs highest cost, no sub out.

Thoughts? Experiences with these options? Other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
XEagleDriver

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Just throwing this out there, but Mrs. rojo has no problems operating my AVR with a Harmony remote.

Mrs. EagleDriver might indeed appreciate only having to push one button labeled "TV" to turn on the television + receiver and set both to the appropriate source, or another button for "Movies" to add the Blu-ray player to the mix, or another button for "CD" to turn the television off.

I'm sure you know you get better value with an AVR than with a hi-fi receiver. The savings you achieve could buy you a simpler user experience for the wife than she would get otherwise. Food for thought.

If you insist on stereo only, you could also look for a cheap DAC to widen your available choices. *shrug*

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend OSP v1.3.3.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Denon X3100 brand new for $499 ($1000 MSRP) from Amazon. Sounds totally awesome for dedicated 2.0 or 2.1 stereo music.

Has AirPlay for streaming music from iPhone/iPad/iPod and Bluetooth for streaming music from just about any source w/ BT.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Rojo and AcuDefTech thanks for your insights!
A Denon X1100 (same primary features as X3100 at lower height and price) and a Harmony remote appear to be the best solution. I happen to have an unused Harmony 880 remote I replaced due to two buttons not working anymore (after 8 yrs ) and can easily work around that with this simple setup.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

B

big O

Junior Audioholic
oh man, you can get some old b&k or sherwood etc preamps from the 2000s for less than 150 that have that optical input that would crush any of these you mentioned. they were about $3000 when new

add a simple 2 channel amp that will drive a good load and you are going to have some really good sound quality.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You can buy an inexpensive optical/Digital coax converter and connect that to the analog input for a lot less than the cost of a new receiver.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Thanks to all,
I presented the two options to the Mrs, while trying to emphasize advantages of Denon X1100 AVR and she picked the integrated PM6005 amp option hands down due to simplicity and fit in furnture, LOL.
MusicDirect had a refurb for same price as A4L, it should arrive Thursday!
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Just throwing this out there, but Mrs. rojo has no problems operating my AVR with a Harmony remote.
Is there one of the Harmony remotes you recommend? I've been thinking about one. We have a remote caddy on the table w/ 4 different remotes. It gets a bit complicated for Mrs. Herbu. (Of course, I never have any trouble. ;))

I looked at the Harmony site, and they conveniently have a separate category for systems in an enclosed cabinet. Does a cabinet w/ a glass front count as enclosed? Thanks.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Is there one of the Harmony remotes you recommend? I've been thinking about one. We have a remote caddy on the table w/ 4 different remotes. It gets a bit complicated for Mrs. Herbu. (Of course, I never have any trouble. ;))

I looked at the Harmony site, and they conveniently have a separate category for systems in an enclosed cabinet. Does a cabinet w/ a glass front count as enclosed? Thanks.
I have a Harmony 720 with a couple of dead buttons. I recommend not getting one of those. :)

I've had excellent luck with the Harmony One. It's comfortable to hold and doesn't hide the number keys and other buttons in an effort to be user-friendly like the Ultimate or Touch. If you don't need the RF repeater (and since your cabinet has a glass front, it seems that you don't), the Harmony One would be worth adding to your saved searches on eBay. If you see this in the next 8 minutes you can get this one for < 100 bucks probably.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Damn quandary! I want to bid on this, but would feel like an ass if I out bid Herbu (or just knowing I ran the price up on him before he won it)!
Oh well, I don't really need one anyway!:)

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Damn quandary! I want to bid on this, but would feel like an ass if I out bid Herbu (or just knowing I ran the price up on him before he won it)!
Oh well, I don't really need one anyway!:)
Sorry, KEW. Didn't even see this until Sat morning. Go ahead on the next one. I've never bought from ebay. Seems like too much risk and limited recourse if something is bad. But I will look at this one new from a dealer.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like the Harmony One is out of production. New one is Harmony Ultimate One. As good... comparable?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Unknown. I'd guess similar quality. As far as I've seen, Logitech's remotes improved in longevity once they switched from rubber buttons to hard plastic. You just need to decide which button layout you prefer -- number pad as dedicated buttons or as a selectable screen on the touch panel. How often do you use the numbers on any remotes you currently use? If not very, then one of the current production models (Ultimate One or Touch I guess) might suit your style of use better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis