Decision time! Denon or Yamaha?

L

lario

Junior Audioholic
I am purchasing a new receiver shortly and for the exact same price I have the option of either:

Denon AVR788 or Yamaha RX-V661

Any final thoughts or opinions?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think either one will suit you just fine... Just chose the one that has more of the options you like.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
One note, the Denon does not have preouts for adding external amplification, and is also more expensive than the RX-V661. Look at the Harman Kardon AVR-247 as well, it's loaded with features.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Reciever

Just bought Yamaha RXV659 at One Call for $297....a little better amp with Burr Brown DACs, heavier transformer section and preouts.....I cant help but notice that HDMI inputs and outputs seem to be the biggest selling feature. In fact, few actually wire their system via the receiver....actually more conventient in most cases to go direct to the tv...I make this point, since that leaves a lot of receivers with otherwise better specs go begging....the HDMI standard may change is a year or so anyway....

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Just bought Yamaha RXV659 at One Call for $297....a little better amp with Burr Brown DACs, heavier transformer section and preouts.....I cant help but notice that HDMI inputs and outputs seem to be the biggest selling feature. In fact, few actually wire their system via the receiver....actually more conventient in most cases to go direct to the tv...I make this point, since that leaves a lot of receivers with otherwise better specs go begging....the HDMI standard may change is a year or so anyway....
Without HDMI on receivers one cannot utilize the lossless audio formats on Blu-ray or HD DVD. It's more than just frivilous features, simplicity psssh.:D

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
661!!!!!! Is that Denon the equivalent to the 1908?

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Having the 6060 and buying a 788 previously, the 788 is unquestionably better for music. It has a more spacious sound to it. The Yamaha's "enhancer mode" really helps though.

The Yamaha is MUCH MUCH more wife friendly because you can edit scenes to a touch of a button.

J

JOD

Junior Audioholic
I heard that yamaha only has a webbased technical support, and it sucks hard core.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis