Debating about downsizing to bookshelves from floorstanding speakers, opinions?

woromatt

woromatt

Audiophyte
I purchased a pair of Focal 716v speakers a couple years ago without doing much research into them. It was a good deal paid just over $1100 for the pair. Now after looking online for reviews and opinions on them there seems to be almost no info on these speakers. I have them set up in a smaller room used about 50/50 for movies/gaming and music and have started to feel the upgrade itch.

I had them set up with a HK3490 stereo receiver that I just swapped out for the Marantz NR1403 so I could get proper crossover with my klipsch KW100 subwoofer and to have audyssey multieq as I found the Focal's top end was a bit much for my tastes. Already audyssey has made a big difference in my enjoyment of the speakers.

Now my main question is would it be better if I'm keeping these in a small-medium size room of about 12' by 14' would looking into bookshelf speakers such as the definitive technology studiomonitor 65 be worth my while or would you stick with my existing focal's. Eventually I'm looking to upgrade this system to a full 5.1 when I get a house where I can have a dedicated theater room and not keeping my system in my bedroom suite.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The decision is up to you - bookshelf can work good, with
a nice subwoofer.

Audition some speakers to see what you like, as far as the
different sound signatures.

It is easy to recommend speakers - I could recommend 7 or 8
different speakers or more - and Definitive is nice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
would looking into bookshelf speakers such as the definitive technology studiomonitor 65 be worth my while or would you stick with my existing focal's.
I would stick with the existing Focal and save the money.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Focals top end would benefit from a more stable amp than what is found in the NR1403, luckily the NR1403 has preouts for front left and right so getting an external amplifier would be a logical upgrade IMO.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I prefer smaller speakers and a sub, but that is just me. Peace and goodwill.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Focals top end would benefit from a more stable amp than what is found in the NR1403, luckily the NR1403 has preouts for front left and right so getting an external amplifier would be a logical upgrade IMO.
If you still have the HK, it has the ability to to act as an amplifier for the Marantz. The Marantz has great abilities on the pre-amp end, but is not as powerful as the HK in the amp section. Go from the "pre-out" on the Marantz to the "Main in" on the HK.

It is free to try (well, maybe the cost of a couple of patch cords) and worth trying to see if you get sound improvement.

Focal certainly makes some excellent speakers (I have Solo6Be that I am very happy with) however, I cannot vouch for your specific model.

I too am a fan of BS speakers with sub. Mainly because I don't like the resonance exhibited by most tower speakers.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
http://www.focal.com/en/enceintes-hifi/45-chorus-716-v-3544055691013.html
U would probably benefit adding a good sub ... SVS, HSU, etc. ... to the Focal 716v's, to round out the sound, especially below 50Hz and if u decide to go with bookshelves, it's a must have for the lower frequencies, which most bookshelves lack and tame the Focal's high end. Personally I would keep the 716v's unless ur ready to spend more money or u just have the itch to upgrade, be it a tower or a bookshelf speaker(s).

D

Dr. Bob

Junior Audioholic
You have to ask yourself what you're trying to achieve. Are you happy with the sound of the Focals? Then stick with them. Unhappy? Why not? Do they have a good high end, with crisp percussion sounds, natural voices, and clear imaging? If not, then a good pair of bookshelfs might be a good solution. If you're unhappy with the low end, bookshelfs won't help much - look into a subwoofer instead.

Personally, I've always thought that bookshelf+subwoofer was the way to go. However, having bought the DefTech SM45s and been disappointed with them (too harsh in the treble at times), I wouldn't recommend the 65s. But everyone's ears are different: buy them from somewhere you can return them, listen to them at home, and if you like them, you're all set.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Try kef ls50. Trust your ears. I think you will see a major improvement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis