Dear goodness, CLS-215's, should I?

C

Captainmorgan89

Audioholic
I love my music loud, I love bass. These seem to have garnered a good reputation for SQ also.

Is $800 a good price for a new pair? I was going to go with a set of TCA Pro-10's for $350/each, but damn, if I dont mind a slight loss in SQ, in exchange for dubious amounts of sound, are these bad boys ok for HT use? I will use them for parties too!

Thanks!

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Vega's are big sensitive speakers, a different approach to most of the consumer market. They are fun speakers, I had some in high school. Lotsa good times with them. We've had threads about CV here before, and generally the comments you get are about the same: great inexpensive party speaker.

Their goal is loud dynamic party music. They do a great job at that. Using them for critical listening will reveal the sloppy imaging, bad performance in time, and chunky, raspy sound.... the things you don't care about when you just want the music as loud as possible, on a college budget, while taking bong hits with some girl that will probably end up being a mistake.

Keep your options open, but, realize that there isn't a wrong answer in this hobby. If you dig your speakers, you dig your speakers. I've owned plenty of speakers people have told me were flawed, and loved them the whole damn time. Others people have told me were flawless, and I found them uninspiring.

What's your budget? Maybe we could recommend something with more sound quality with similar sensitivity. But, dude, it' your hobby...if you love them, get them!

If you like CV dynamics, but want better sound quality, consider JTR T8s. Actually they will go louder than those, and sound better. You could also look at JBL Professional or QSC.

C

Captainmorgan89

Audioholic
Well, generally I was looking for something to go loud and be priced around $400/each and not sound horrible. I know JTR makes SICK speakers, but last I checked, they run around a $1000/each.

Any suggestions for $800/pair?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
It's tough because you start walking the line of consumer and professional. Basically you want a high sensitivity, high power handling speaker, which generally falls under the pro catagory.

I'm stuck, maybe someone else will chime in. Maybe JBL Professionals entry level JRX stuff?

Vegas might fit your need in that price range!

C

Captainmorgan89

Audioholic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Those any good? For $1400?

The main cabinets are model 4507 and each one contains a 15 inch woofer model 2225H, 3115 crossover, and 2380A horn with the large 2445J driver. The 4648 cabinet two 2225H 15 inch woofers.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Their goal is loud dynamic party music. They do a great job at that. Using them for critical listening will reveal the sloppy imaging, bad performance in time, and chunky, raspy sound.... the things you don't care about when you just want the music as loud as possible
Can you give some details of the setup/system, when you heard this type sound from the CLS-215's CaptainMorgan is asking about? Showroom or your house?
What does "bad performance in time" mean exactly?
Nothing from the Soundstage article indicates the kind of severe problems you heard, not sure how they could have missed them. :confused:
Perhaps the CLS-215's you heard were defective or damaged?

ryanshaw3ball

ryanshaw3ball

Audioholic Intern
if you like your music loud, and love bass, get the Vegas. i'm by no means an expert audiophile, but i listen to music ALL THE TIME, at all levels, and i have yet to hear a system i've liked better. all frequencies sound good, no glaring problems in the output, and the bass is unmatched by any system without a large subwoofer. i love them, i've been constantly told they are just party speakers and sound horrible, but i like them better even at low volumes better than some high end pretty looking system with 6 or 8 inch woofers and claims of revolutionary technology.

size matters, for what youre looking for at least

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

For the average music listener you could do better for the price, but very little available can "rock out" like those bad boys! If you do a search here @ AH you'll find some threads on some simple, inexpensive mods that can take those CV's "to the next level." One such tweak is adding some dowls for internal bracing and adding fiber fill or Sound Coat or some other internal absorber. FWIW, back in the 80's when I went shopping for my first "serious" speakers, it came down to the CerwinVega! D-9's and the Infinity SM-150+'s. I ended up with the latter but I felt the CV's were pretty nice (at the time!).

S

swingin

Enthusiast
I love my music loud, I love bass. These seem to have garnered a good reputation for SQ also.

Is $800 a good price for a new pair? I was going to go with a set of TCA Pro-10's for $350/each, but damn, if I dont mind a slight loss in SQ, in exchange for dubious amounts of sound, are these bad boys ok for HT use? I will use them for parties too!

Thanks!
I had CVs all around, except center channel is a klipsch RC-64, (not worth the price) 7.4 setup
Pioneer Elite, behringer amp, Emotiva XPA-5
XLS-215 front which would cost you $1100 new, more power, more speakers than the CLS and worth the $$. Fantastic sound.
AT-15s surrounds
CLS-12s rears
Two SVS subs, PB-12NSD, PC-13 ultra,
Two CV subs hooked to center channel.
I would love somebody to try and match the volume and clarity I have at an affordable price. People that spend the big bucks like to run down the CVs, mine are crystal clear with power to spare! Don't waste money on (big name speakers) you will be plenty happy with the Vegas!!! By the way, I live in Gig Harbor if someone wants a duel,
Im 51 and I can still rock your world, :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis