Db dynamics subwoofer

M

Maca

Audiophyte
Hey guys I have a problem with my db dynamics subwoofer, it keeps shutting of after a few minutes. I've had it checked out and apparently the amplifier is fine but was told the control switch at the front of the subwoofer witch controls the frequency and volume is faulty. I confirmed this as I have 2 of the same subwoofers and switched the control panels. How can I fix this ??

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Have you contacted the manufacturer? I would start there. However, if the parts/labor/shipping, etc are too much, it might be time to think about an upgrade. But if you are on a big island in the South Pacific, I know it costs a lot of money to get subs from the US. I can't find contact info for db dynamics to link.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is the manufacturer still in business? I can find no site for them. I assume they are, or more likely were, in Australia.

I can find no schematic or service manual for your unit so it is not possible to offer you any advice. Without that the unit is done for, as it is unlikely service is possible.

From what I can tell it looks like new sub time.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Take the actual switch to an electronics tech. It may be able to be repaired, or cross referenced with something else. At this point, you have nothing to lose. I've taken switches apart that weren't meant to be and gotten them to work. Maybe even some spray contact cleaner may do the trick.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Take the actual switch to an electronics tech. It may be able to be repaired, or cross referenced with something else. At this point, you have nothing to lose. I've taken switches apart that weren't meant to be and gotten them to work. Maybe even some spray contact cleaner may do the trick.
Nice idea, but it won't be a switch of the type we had when you and I were lads. The only switch will be a brief momentary switch that destabilizes another circuit, like an IC that contains some sort of flip/flop circuit. There are tons of variations on this theme. This is complex, but years ago everything was much lower powered. Even then switch contacts used to burn out switching AC circuits from the arc of the back EMF. With starting circuits of one sort or another, the momentary switch only momentarily makes/breaks a low voltage DC circuit. The switch that handles the power is solid state and contactless.

So that is why his unit switches off. The start button is flipping the circuit, but it is flipping back by itself after a short interval of time. It is very hard to fix this type of arrangement, without at least a circuit, to see how it is configured, so you can sort it out.

You are used to this I'm sure as the on/off button on your receiver will be this type of arrangement. There is no toggle switch is there?

M

Maca

Audiophyte
Db dynamics (Australia) don't exist anymore unfortunately, ill take the switch to get looked at and go from there. It just seems strange that when it does cut out I can turn sub off and on again and works straight away until another ten minutes goes by and cuts out again. Thanks guys for your help much appreciated

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis