Dayton Ultimax 12 Build

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It's really great to have another DIY guy on here! This really isn't the forum for the DIY group, but there are a handful on here. You really just can't beat the value proposition for DIY, and you get to learn something along the way here too!

Another item that is refreshing--You came in as the new guy asking for advice, and you ACTUALLY followed the advice! Many newbs will come to this site with their own ideas, just looking for validation, then they get butt-hurt when they are told "that's a bad idea and you need to learn more before you proceed on this".

I'm not a woodworker so I haven't done any speaker builds myself, though the kits make that a poor excuse. Personally, I've really been wanting a set of the ER18s or the JB Solstice (same designer as your tempest, using all Morel drivers in a TL cab".

I'm more on the electronics side of DIY, and I have several non-audio DIY projects too. I have several threads on here that document my work, but it seems like some of my pics aren't posting anymore. Dunno what happened there.
I'm somewhat old fashioned and I know that causes some frustration sometimes that often times manages to sidestep the easy answers but the folks here were surprisingly accommodating.

Sometimes my posts seem to be the typical internet validation ploy, but I've been DIY'ng for my whole life, and at one point, was surrounded by friends who strived to develop self skills. A competition of sorts, yet not for one-upmanship, but just everyone trying to do everything well, and we all learned from each other and perpetuated our own versions of affordable greatness and mostly out of fun and necessity. It was a great way to live, and we all always had something to look forward to every day that we were passionate about. Made the mundane jobs and chores we all have to do every day, much less so. And that's all I am looking for. People that share the same interests and goals and that we don't ever run out of things interesting to talk about.

DIY is one of those gifts that helps thwart the ever present corporate designation with the state of a person's personal economy, dictating the quality of their personal possessions, and ultimately their life. How to avoid the incessant barrage of ad agency influence over everything we do, with their messages being essentially insults that are tailored around the mentality of 10 year olds. Basically, how to 'opt out' whenever possible.

Yes, I listened to the experienced people here. At the very least, I took what they said and researched it further to see where it fits. I found that I did not get one wrong piece of information, but instead, a lot of options. None of it fell on deaf ears. Also, most of it was pretty much unanimously agreeable to some extent here as well. It's so nice not to have to tip-toe around ego like with just about everything else these days.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think having a small handful of 18"s makes me insane at all compared to some who have 16 or more of them. A single 12 just won't cut it in my rooms :)
LOL. After building this small sub, I kind of see how it could lead to too many. This subwoofer venture is mostly your fault tho. You started out with this idea from one of our very first discussions. You were right, and I pretty much knew it was true. The evidence was right in front of me the whole time with my 2.1 desktop setup. As my journey here progressed, that recommendation had become. . . . subliminal. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A competition of sorts, yet not for one-upmanship, but just everyone trying to do everything well, and we all learned from each other and perpetuated our own versions of affordable greatness and mostly out of fun and necessity.

It's so nice not to have to tip-toe around ego like with just about everything else these days.
NOT for one-upmanship....R-I-G-H-T......nothing wrong with FRIENDLY one-upmanship!

You know, I like to think of this site and the articles that they post as "peer reviewed". Several members have pointed out mistakes and confusion in posted articles, and the AH staff are always very quick to make fixes that are brought to their attention.

I'm a scientist by trade and peer review and validation is 100% necessity in my field! If you won't let your ideas and work get peer reviewed, then that raises all sorts of red-flags. And, admitting a false belief in the face of data and facts is a sign of a very confident person and a very good scientist.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
A rising tide lifts all boats.

Something many in this country have forgotten. When one advances, we all do.

DJ

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
A rising tide lifts all boats.

Something many in this country have forgotten. When one advances, we all do.

DJ
That's the gist of it right there. That's how I structure my shop with the younger guys too. It's amazing how much difference it makes and how serious they become, and the childish aspect of the ego goes out the window with all the other nonsense.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
NOT for one-upmanship....R-I-G-H-T......nothing wrong with FRIENDLY one-upmanship!

You know, I like to think of this site and the articles that they post as "peer reviewed". Several members have pointed out mistakes and confusion in posted articles, and the AH staff are always very quick to make fixes that are brought to their attention.

I'm a scientist by trade and peer review and validation is 100% necessity in my field! If you won't let your ideas and work get peer reviewed, then that raises all sorts of red-flags. And, admitting a false belief in the face of data and facts is a sign of a very confident person and a very good scientist.
That's true and I get that. Most of the DIY stuff I do is because I hope someone does step up and shows what they got. That ends up being a great source of inspiration, and motivation. It's especially easy to get humbled with the vast reaches of the internet. A lot of talented folks doing extraordinary things.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's true and I get that. Most of the DIY stuff I do is because I hope someone does step up and shows what they got. That ends up being a great source of inspiration, and motivation. It's especially easy to get humbled with the vast reaches of the internet. A lot of talented folks doing extraordinary things.
Agreed! And right now there is a real resurgence of DIY, the "maker movement". My company has been the largest sponsor of the local Makers Fair for the last couple of years.

The tools for rapid prototyping are now dirt cheap!

There is a real comparison to be had for the modern "desktop manufacturing" movement vs. the "desktop publishing" of ~20 years ago or so. Basically, it has become democratized, there is a wealth of information readily available, the tools for collaboration with people around the world are free and reliable, and the tools are cheap.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well. . . .it works. Good grief, man. You folks with the 15" and up subs have to be slightly. . . . insane.

I am glad I built the sealed version for music because it's more than enough, and that with just the first level light on the Inuke 3000 lit up. I have to admit, the bass is very clean and there is no overlapping echo bouncing around the house, which is weird because when we get a thunder storm, it will resonate in here sometimes.

I honestly don't know how I could have done any better with a store bought sub. This thing is potent as all get out and it sure blends well with the Tempests and so far, is coming across as a perfect match for music.

I was hesitant to get into this tonight, but before work this am, I sanded the front baffle anyway just in case so I could dry fit the whole works together for a trial run. It was the AVR and amp settings I wasn't sure if I wanted to mess with more than anything else, plus I didn't have the cables made up yet.

I have to hand it to you folks with all the help you have given me. In next to no time at all, I ended up with one hell of a potent audio setup and saved a ton of $ doing it. I really haven't suffered any economic/quality compromises, especially considering the value of the DIY/achievement aspect.

Thank you, everybody.
When you have the skills you already posses this DIY speaker thing is as easy as it gets. I've learned a lot from your builds and am glad this DIY speaker thing got me more into other wood working projects. Learning is fun.

I'm glad my Dad and Grandfather taught me things like this when I was young. I never really used the knowledge all that much, but now I can and it's nice to see what you've built be used and loved.

I have people ask me about my theater subs and they don't really believe me when I tell them how much they cost.

Very nice work.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I am currently building grilles for my Tempests. Decided that the mounting rings are a bit too tall. Going to make some slimmer ones. Happily, I have discovered that the rings are just right for the Ultimax cabinet. Scales rather nicely against the big fat rubber surrounds of the sub driver without concealing them too much. This whole works have yet to get painted being I am still in sub la la land with this sound and am procrastinating the finish treatments for the time being.

What do y'all think? Too much? Just to clarify, I am no fashion Joe, and I have to ask women what color to paint my house and what clothes match, so, criticism won't hurt my feelings. I do need to protect these and my cat is making me nervous with his infatuation with this sub. I visualize him using the surrounds for a scratching post, or it triggering his 'mouse' instincts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think it looks great! It's got me thinking about a porthole or diver's helmet motif and adding hinges and a latch.... :) Thinking of someday maybe having to pull the driver out....how are you attaching it?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I think it looks great! It's got me thinking about a porthole or diver's helmet motif and adding hinges and a latch.... :) Thinking of someday maybe having to pull the driver out....how are you attaching it?
Going to attach the wood section via 4 of the same screws that attach the driver that will be hidden under the metal flanges, and then attaching the metal parts with something that looks a little more riveted perhaps, or allen headed lags.

I actually make a lot of hinges from scratch in my trade.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Here is a sample of a type of hinge. I have made hinges from hardwood as well. But I have made many different sizes and styles. The one below wasn't the most elegant, but it was a cure for a problem of a customer not able to get his boat under a bridge so I had to make his whole radar arch fold down. There was barely enough room to make this happen and with something robust enough to support it.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
This is how we grew up. The options used to be, college, trade school or the military. All of which provide a path to opportunity. Now, trade school/military not so much. But I have young men that I show all this to now working with me so that it does not die with me. They should bring trades back. It grabs the focus of young folks and turns them from nonsensical behavior to seriousness. I can teach high school dropouts the complicated math and they don't even notice and are also willing to get their HS diplomas. One boy, was working at Subway making sandwiches for min wage and having troubles with the legal system. In less than a year, he's doubled his earning potential. They are showing up early and leaving late. It is hard to make them go home!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They had the guys from This Old House on The Tonight Show, they were saying the trades are facing some serious upcoming shortages. Thanks for helping those young guys out and passing on your skills, that's awesome.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
They had the guys from This Old House on The Tonight Show, they were saying the trades are facing some serious upcoming shortages. Thanks for helping those young guys out and passing on your skills, that's awesome.
lol. . .something just occurred to me with grilles and what porthole grilles would look like on those 18's of yours! That would be something else!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am currently building grilles for my Tempests. Decided that the mounting rings are a bit too tall. Going to make some slimmer ones. Happily, I have discovered that the rings are just right for the Ultimax cabinet. Scales rather nicely against the big fat rubber surrounds of the sub driver without concealing them too much. This whole works have yet to get painted being I am still in sub la la land with this sound and am procrastinating the finish treatments for the time being.

What do y'all think? Too much? Just to clarify, I am no fashion Joe, and I have to ask women what color to paint my house and what clothes match, so, criticism won't hurt my feelings. I do need to protect these and my cat is making me nervous with his infatuation with this sub. I visualize him using the surrounds for a scratching post, or it triggering his 'mouse' instincts.

Looks great! I'm a big fan of understated designs and industrial aesthetics.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Looks great! I'm a big fan of understated designs and industrial aesthetics.
It fits my lack of décor more than finesse, or perhaps more than something refined would. A couple people that saw them up close thought they were cool without being prompted for an opinion. Once painted matte black, should change the aesthetic proportions quite a bit.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
After a couple weeks using this sub, I have to say I am pretty impressed. It's definitely able for music in this roughly 12' X 20'ish room. Still haven't applied any finish treatments to it, but will get to it soon. Also noticed on the PE website that they are out of stock with this driver until May sometime. Good thing I bought it when I did, and it was slightly on sale at the time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis