j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Picked this one up last week since I was a big fan of the first one. This one is good, but not quite at the same level as the first. The graphics are the weak point IMO. Good, but not great, occasionally looking excellent, and other times rather disappointing, which is odd in the same game. There are occasional errors with NPCs or items getting "stuck". Not to the point of it being an issue, but more glitchy than I'd expect.

Gameplay is fine, however even after days of playing, I am still pressing the wrong buttons frequently, which means the controls are not totally intuitive - quad wielding is a bit complex at times :) The controls could be tighter, aiming is not quite precise enough for the frenetic action, and there's a LOT of action (your minion will get on your case if you don't do anything for just a few seconds: "Can we go rip something apart?" LOL ). On the normal difficulty level, if you don't go after the enemies, they WILL come after you. The original had a fair amount of story and relatively free roaming sense with missions that could be completed in any order, while this one is a more "directed" typical shooter style.

There's more action than story here, and though they kept many of the same cool features and style from the original, it doesn't feel quite so fresh this time around. I think these things keep it from being a great game, but what it lacks in polish, it makes up for in outlandishness. This one is completely over-the-top IMO, in terms of violence and content - plenty of Oh crap moments! It is fun to play, but I am not sure it will have a ton of replay value.

It does include multiplayer this time around, with a sort of Resident Evil Mercenaries sort of setup that can be played solo or with company. I played the first level with each of the selectable characters solo just to try them out, and they are quite unique from each other, which makes it interesting. I can only imagine that with other players, it will be quite fun.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10 so far. There are a number of issues, but none of them keep it from being fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

The demo is out on PSN also. Give that a try, it will tell you right away if this one is for you. It gives you a pretty good idea of the gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I played the demo but didn't really like it. I liked the first one, (I think it was one of the first PS 3 games I bought), but I don't know if I'll be picking this one up.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The first one was one of the first games I bought too, and I still have it :) This one is quite short too, clocking in about 10-12hrs. If you didn't like the demo, you probably won't like the rest of the game. The story fits well with the first and gets a little more interesting as it goes along, but basically, not as good as the first.

One fun new feature in this one is you get to be the darkling a couple of times (there is only one now).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis