H

hillbilly559

Audiophyte
First-time post
Thanks for any insight!

I recently purchased a Darbee DVP5000 and put it in my system
When inserted between my Denon receiver and my Sharp TV, my Oppo bluray works,
but the directv programs do not.
I have used all HDMI cables over 6'. As soon as I plug the HDMI cable into the TV with a Directv source,
the blue light on the Darbee goes off and I get no picture, only sound.

Any help would be great!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That Darbee unit sounds like a real piece of fraudulent snake oil to me and may not be legal. If you are running good gear, I see no point in using one at all if ever.

Now HDMI is two way, and has handshakes governed by the HDCP codes. Now you are using two units in a chain that receive and send HDMI, your receiver and that Darbee.

I would bet that Darbee unit is not HDCP certified, and does not therefore cooperate with all available anti piracy HDCP codes.

I would further bet that you will find BD discs that give you the same problem, as the codes are in the discs. Obviously Direct TV have a higher level of security to prevent copying, than the discs you have so far played.

In addition, that Darbee unit has no way to connect to the Internet to update the HDCP codes. To prevent piracy the codes are updated over time. All HD devices need an Internet connection to update them. All my TVs BD players, pre/pro have an Internet connection for updates.

As I think about it your discs probably have out of date codes, but your Darbee recognizes them. However since your unit was made, I suspect Direct TV have updated their HDCP codes, which they can do my satellite and Internet. So lack of an Internet connection or a means to update the unit, should have warned you off it for a start.

My advice is to throw that Darbee thing in the garbage and move on. This is a problem you will not solve and if you try you will likely get branded a pirate as it would involve code stripping.

Last edited:
H

hillbilly559

Audiophyte
That Darbee unit sounds like a real piece of fraudulent snake oil to me and may not be legal. If you are running good gear, I see no point in using one at all if ever.

Now HDMI is two way, and has handshakes governed by the HDCP codes. Now you are using two units in a chain that receive and send HDMI, your receiver and that Darbee.

I would bet that Darbee unit is not HDCP certified, and does not therefore cooperate with all available anti piracy HDCP codes.

I would further bet that you will find BD discs that give you the same problem, as the codes are in the discs. Obviously Direct TV have a higher level of security to prevent copying, than the discs you have so far played.

In addition, that Darbee unit has no way to connect to the Internet to update the HDCP codes. To prevent piracy the codes are updated over time. All HD devices need an Internet connection to update them. All my TVs BD players, pre/pro have an Internet connection for updates.

As I think about it your discs probably have out of date codes, but your Darbee recognizes them. However since your unit was made, I suspect Direct TV have updated their HDCP codes, which they can do my satellite and Internet. So lack of an Internet connection or a means to update the unit, should have warned you off it for a start.

My advice is to throw that Darbee thing in the garbage and move on. This is a problem you will not solve and if you try you will likely get branded a pirate as it would involve code stripping.
Wow!
Pretty shocking advice on my first post
Darbee has been around for a number of years, with lots of happy users
Oppo incorporates it in their top two bluray players
The results/improvements I noticed on bluray are fantastic
However, I can't figure out how to get it to synch with directv like it should
If anyone has experience with one I would appreciate any constructive advice
Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
First-time post
Thanks for any insight!

I recently purchased a Darbee DVP5000 and put it in my system
When inserted between my Denon receiver and my Sharp TV, my Oppo bluray works,
but the directv programs do not.
I have used all HDMI cables over 6'. As soon as I plug the HDMI cable into the TV with a Directv source,
the blue light on the Darbee goes off and I get no picture, only sound.

Any help would be great!
As I told you, you have a handshake issue involving the HDMI HDCP codes. I don't care who brag up Darbee, putting a video upscaler in the HDMI line from receiver to TV is not smart. It is idiotic to make any HD HDMI device not upgradeable as the codes change, which they do.

I'm sure you have noticed that your OPPO BD player needs periodic firmware upgrades. I think we have all had the experience of putting on a BD and not being able to see the movie until the firmware is upgraded. I know I have several times with my OPPO player.

Now your problem is that your Darbee unit does not have the right HDCP codes for your Direct TV unit. So when the Denon asks for the right codes from the Darbee, it does not get them to send back to the Direct TV unit. This is a very complex system and is called DRM to prevent piracy. It has zero tolerance for a code error as you have found out.

I have direct TV also and it works just fine. So unless that Darbee unit can somehow get a firmware update to put in the current HDCP codes you are out of luck and have to accept facts.

After a search of the Internet, I think the last version of HDCP codes on your unit is 2012. I note a significant number of complaints about HDMI handshake issues with that unit.

In particular a post on the AVS forum have users that could use Direct TV with it for a couple of years, but now they can't.

This does not surprise me one bit. An HDMI device, especially one that receives and sends HDMI and must use repeater codes, must be able to be updated. That means it must have an Ethernet port or built in Wi-Fi. that unit does not.

I also note reports of customers who have Oppo players who note NO improvement in upscaling of DVDs over the upscaler in the OPPO player, which is recognized as among the best. I can vouch for that.

So I would suggest you phone Darbee and ask how you can update the codes in that unit.

Please report back here and tell us their answer.

The bottom line is that unless Darbee have a way of updating those units you are out of luck. Only Darbee can rectify this, none of us can. Your problem is 100% on Darbee's shoulders.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis