Dampen Midrange Horn in Cornwall?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I put in a new Crites crossover in my 1979 Cornwall center speaker. I can tell there is an improvement. Today, I ordered all new drivers. I went with Michael Crites' recommendations: "Our CT120 is a big improvement over the K-77 (tweeter), the A-55G/2 driver is an excellent midrange upgrade. We even have a cast frame woofer that will replace the K-33 and go a bit lower in frequency (called the CW1526C)"

Would it make any difference if I wrapped the mid horn with some kind of damping tape?
My new crossover is still the correct one with the new drivers.
Photo is new crossover with original drivers.

Attachments

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't think it would help much either. Lightly tap the horn: do you hear any ringing or resonance? If so, it might be worth damping the horn.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't think it would help much either. Lightly tap the horn: do you hear any ringing or resonance? If so, it might be worth damping the horn.
The back is still on so I can't really check that yet.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I put in a new Crites crossover in my 1979 Cornwall center speaker. I can tell there is an improvement. Today, I ordered all new drivers. I went with Michael Crites' recommendations: "Our CT120 is a big improvement over the K-77 (tweeter), the A-55G/2 driver is an excellent midrange upgrade. We even have a cast frame woofer that will replace the K-33 and go a bit lower in frequency (called the CW1526C)"

Would it make any difference if I wrapped the mid horn with some kind of damping tape?

That is crude engineering at its worst. So no wonder it is an earful. That is a first order, three way crossover. That is always a difficult choice and impossible for any horn drivers. There is so much overlap, and the HF and mid horns are going to be driven well into their respective resonances. It seems that chap who runs Crites has tripped up at the first post and fallen down a deep manhole. The slopes are only 6 db per octave so I don't doubt your report of a severe unpleasant reaction is correct.

I can hear that sound in my head, without even giving it a listen, and my head already has a thumping headache just imagining it.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I didn't report an unpleasant reaction that I can remember. Playing a mono LP through the speaker before and after installing the xover showed an obvious improvement. But still not up to snuff compared to my La Scalas as far as clarity and sharpness. That is why I ordered the drivers. I will give a report after I install them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I didn't report an unpleasant reaction that I can remember. Playing a mono LP through the speaker before and after installing the xover showed an obvious improvement. But still not up to snuff compared to my La Scalas as far as clarity and sharpness. That is why I ordered the drivers. I will give a report after I install them.
If you post about dampening a horn, then I am right to conclude you are getting an unpleasant earful. I am highly sceptical you will get away with 6db. per octave crossovers. I see that the original La Scala crossover was first order. I have to say they were far removed from any speaker I could have lived with.

I do see that many in the DIY community have designed alternative crossovers, and many contain notch filters, that I suspect are to deal with what you are complaining about.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
If you post about dampening a horn, then I am right to conclude you are getting an unpleasant earful. I am highly sceptical you will get away with 6db. per octave crossovers. I see that the original La Scala crossover was first order. I have to say they were far removed from any speaker I could have lived with.

I do see that many in the DIY community have designed alternative crossovers, and many contain notch filters, that I suspect are to deal with what you are complaining about.
No sir. I am not complaining about anything. There wasn't anything I observed about that, positive or negative as far as dampening the horn. I was asking since I will have the back off again, why not try to do anything else that folks tend to do. That is all that that was about. Maybe you could say I complained about it not being up to snuff compared to my mains. But that has nothing to do with what I am asking. My thought is that i could dampen the mid horn and it won't make no never mind anyway. But I'll probably do it anyway since the back will be off again this weekend.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No sir. I am not complaining about anything. There wasn't anything I observed about that, positive or negative as far as dampening the horn. I was asking since I will have the back off again, why not try to do anything else that folks tend to do. That is all that that was about. Maybe you could say I complained about it not being up to snuff compared to my mains. But that has nothing to do with what I am asking. My thought is that i could dampen the mid horn and it won't make no never mind anyway. But I'll probably do it anyway since the back will be off again this weekend.
Well I obviously misunderstood that. Those are horn compression drivers, and they have NO rear radiation, only forward radiation. So, putting any damping in the enclosure will be a total waste of time and make not one iota of difference. If you don't like the sound, then it will mean a radical crossover redesign, which in all probability it requires.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Well I obviously misunderstood that. Those are horn compression drivers, and they have NO rear radiation, only forward radiation. So, putting any damping in the enclosure will be a total waste of time and make not one iota of difference. If you don't like the sound, then it will mean a radical crossover redesign, which in all probability it requires.
I hope I like it! I am expecting to. My LS have Crites xovers and tweeters and Atlas Sound mid drivers (all installed by the previous owner) and I am downright giddy about them. Thanks for your input about damping btw. I never altered the damping in the interior walls per your suggestion not to months ago.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I installed the new drivers. Very smooth sound. The midrange is better than my LS' in comparison. I haven't had a chance to test them too much yet. Playing the mono Magical Mystery Tour LP and it is just great. Better bass than before. But this is my center speaker so it will not be for music as a rule. Just testing it out and I like the result.
My woofer wood screws were too short. I was bummed. I didn't think I had a matching set longer. But I did. I found nice brass hex-drive wood screws exactly the length needed. I had eight and I needed eight. Perfect!

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just ordererd a pair of those wonderful midrange drivers for my La Scalas to replace the Atlas Sound ones. When those arrive, my mids and tweeters will be 100% congruent across the front.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
NO they won’t! They won’t be La Scalas at all. They’ll be some Frankenstein shitt you made up.
I think this reaction is a bit harsh. He just wants to share how much he enjoys them. That being said, I would like to see measured differences between the original and these altered versions. These companies have been selling Klipsch upgrades for years, but I haven't ever seen proof of their improvements. Besides that, probably the biggest problem with Klispch Heritage has been the horn geometry, and I haven't seen many mods change that. But I would still call these Klipsch speakers, just modified LaScalas. The fundamental design is still that of the LaScala. The enclosure and horns are the same, and that is pretty much the heart of that design.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think this reaction is a bit harsh. He just wants to share how much he enjoys them. That being said, I would like to see measured differences between the original and these altered versions. These companies have been selling Klipsch upgrades for years, but I haven't ever seen proof of their improvements. Besides that, probably the biggest problem with Klispch Heritage has been the horn geometry, and I haven't seen many mods change that. But I would still call these Klipsch speakers, just modified LaScalas. The fundamental design is still that of the LaScala. The enclosure and horns are the same, and that is pretty much the heart of that design.
You are right. I misdirected some of my emotions and should’ve just shut my mouth. I should know as well as anyone about modifying things. I have old car that is miles away from stock, yet I still call it a Camaro.
I will remove my posts above.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'll call them whatever the f I want.
I think you should do that. I was in a “place” last night, and just started clicking away without thinking. Apologies. Glad you enjoy your speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis