M

Methost

Full Audioholic
I won a Marantz 8400 on ebay for $500. The store owner clamed it was returned after 3 days. I received it today and it looks like it may have been damaged in shipping. The remote had a hairline crack in it, and the rear surround speaker terminals where pushed in to the unit. Now I opened it up and it looked and smelled new in there (you know the smell). No dust ... 100% brand new. I put the speaker terminals back out the rear of the case and secured with a new screw. (Thread slightly more corse to crab the stripped plastic).

The store owner has offered to take it back and give me full credit, but after a quick look around, I dont see another available for under $800. So tomorrow when my Axioms show up I was going to test it a bit, and see if everythting seems to be ok. I really dont want to send it back. But am I taking a big risk? Everything inside looks ok. No broken parts, or solder. No loose wires, everything is tight.

What do you guys think? Should I send it back? Or should I test it and see if I am happy with it? It's really in perfect shape. No scratches, not even finger prints. Even came in the original box w/ most accessories and manual unopened.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Hook it up and see if you like it. If it doesn't fit the bill, you've got a great excuse to return it. If you love it, see if he'll knock some $$ off if you decide to keep it. A repair is going to run you $200 if somethign is wrong. He's not going to sell that unit for much more in the shape it's in, and I'm not one to recommend damaged goods. Who knows what happened to the solder points in the unit when it was dropped.

We're anxious to see how it sounds with your Axioms. Make sure to give us a full report. ;)

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
We're anxious to see how it sounds with your Axioms. Make sure to give us a full report. ;)
Well I'm no sound engineer (though my father used to be) but Ill let you know from an amature point of view for sure.

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
Initial use shows that its in working order. So far I have used an old pair of realistic speakers and just moves the wires from terminal to terminal. Ill be able to hook up more speakers to it later today, but it seems fine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can always get a universal remote. I hate the RC3200 remote that came with my 8300, so I almost never used it. I got tired of having 2 remotes in the bedroom though, so now I use it for my CD and integrated in there, which was cool because I didn't have to program anything for the integrated; all the codes are the same.

Yeah, I'd ask them and see if they could replace the remote and knock a bit off on the price. Take pics and send them to the seller.

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
j_garcia said:
You can always get a universal remote. I hate the RC3200 remote that came with my 8300, so I almost never used it. I got tired of having 2 remotes in the bedroom though, so now I use it for my CD and integrated in there, which was cool because I didn't have to program anything for the integrated; all the codes are the same.

Yeah, I'd ask them and see if they could replace the remote and knock a bit off on the price. Take pics and send them to the seller.
The seller just wants the unit back. I already bought a Harmony 880 (waiting for it to come in) so Im good there.

On a side note - My axiom M22Ti speakers just came in. WOW! Even just FM stereo sounds pretty damn awsome. They sound a bit ... bassy (is that a word?) But right now they are the only speakers that I have hooked up. My surrounds are due in tomorrow. I also have my eye on a center channel I may get by next week. That will only leave a sub and another set of surrounds for the 7.1.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to hear you're satisfied. What are you looking at for subs? IMO, the only Axiom subs worth looking at are the EP500 and 600 subs. If those aren't in your budget, I'd suggest you start eyeing Hsu and SVS. I think they're pretty unbeatable in their price catagory. FWIW, I have an STF-1 that pounds hard in my basement, despite it's "meager" 8" woofer and 150watt amp. And that's at a little over half volume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis