DACs, Amps, and Headphones.

W

Willy

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to audio products.

My budget is about $150-$250. (flexible)

I'm going to be listening to digital audio files on my computer and I want to have the most clean, accurate, and noise-free listening experience I can get with my money.

My understanding is that I want to have an external DAC, an Amp, and high quality, high resistance headphones.

I'd like some direction as to what products I should get and what products I should avoid. Also some guidance on what specs I should be most concerned about would be appreciated.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
That's a really small budget for all 3 pieces of equipment. If it were me, I'd invest $200-250 now in a great set of headphones, then save for the rest. Audioengine makes some very good stuff at pretty affordable price points. Their N22 amp is supposed to be pretty solid and I believe it has a built-in DAC for $200.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What op needs is Audioengine D1 - it has both great DAC and great headphone amp - its on occasional sale at $150 Audioengine D1 24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

I also heard you could grab these b-stock/refub on ebay for same price

headphone is more tricky and very heavily depends on personal preferences. Great solid start could be with these ones - Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphones (250 ohms): Electronics

Select 250ohm version for current $200 price - don't like them - return and get something else

In advance I want to mention these - AKG ATH-M50 - for some god knows why reason - many love these and you could be sure some one later on will mention these

I've critically listen to these and compared them to much nicer headphones - M50's sounded way too bassy and boomy in low range and muddy in mids , but that is just my 2c

In low budget I can not recommend enough Fostex headpones - these relatevely unknown brand - it got more expensive since I bought my. lower model - T20 used to cost under $50 and hi-end model T50RP I bought for $75

Amazon.com : Fostex T50RP Semi-Open Dynamic Studio Headphones for Commercial Recording and Critical Listening Applications : Headphones By Fostex : Musical Instruments

Even at current $122 they are still pretty good, but DT880 good, but very nice sound (the fit is not that great thou)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis