tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Hi -

Just got the new AppleTV and am fairly happy with it, especially considering the price ($99) and the small footprint. However, the one thing it is lacking are any analog audio outs. My AVR will not convert a digital signal to audio if I play back through zone 2 and I want to use the AppleTV to stream my iTunes library to Zone 2.

So, can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive DAC that will take a TOSLINK input and convert it to standard L/R analog outs? I don't think I can output through USB on the AppleTV so a lot of the PC DAC's aren't an option. I don't want to spend $400 on a pro one either as that defeats the purpose of the ATV in the first place.

Thanks!

S

Shiitaki

Enthusiast
use tv?

Does your tv have analog out? Maybe you can use hdmi to the tv, then bring the audio out to the receiver using a analog connection?

If you just purchased it, you might check to see if you can get your hands on one of the previous ones. It has the analog audio and video connections, and was only 150 at Fry's a couple of weeks ago. You can tell if it has the analog connections by the presence of a hard drive. The older ones double as a heating pad for your coffee, so give it some space if you do get one. I don't think the older ones will do netflix however.

Last edited:
tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all the suggestions. Gonna try the monoprice one and see how it works.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis