D.I.Y: PB-12 NSD....Possible?

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
So a good friend of mine has a budget of about $350-$400 for a sub. His budget unfortunately is not flexible. I have been researching his best options. However i have good hands-on skills & have done small subwoofer builds for my car previously. From what i know of the SVS PB-12 NSD is that its a modified Peerless XXLS-12 driver, 400watt amp (with good custom DSP) & a nice large enclosure with 4" port & specific length port tube (need to find out length).

From PartsExpress i can get:
Peerless XXLS-12 driver for $249
BASH 300watt amp for $114
I can build the enclosure to spec once i get the dimensions & correct 4" port length.

My question is, would this be near the performance of the PB-12 NSD if all as planned goes well?

The total build cost would be right at about $400 since i have the MDF needed.

Is this something you guys think would be worth getting into?

I know it wouldnt have the DSP onboard. So the response wouldnt be as flat or protected (it would only have soft clipping), but for about $400 im thinking it would be good.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My question is why would you want to reproduce that sub exactly? If you need something with those exact dimensions, OK, I can see that, but you can make a larger enclosure and longer port for something that can dig deeper. Even the PB12-NSD has compromises, and if you are DIY you don't need to be restrained by them. If you go to a DIY forum you can look at many different designs and how they measure. I would go to a DIY forum and ask what can be done for $400 minus the MDF, I think you might be able to do better than a PB12 clone. If there are still a bunch of the MFW drivers floating around, I would inquire about what can be done with that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Actually from the sound of this post, it doesn't seem like there is, however at one point there was a ton of them around and lots of guys were doing dual opposing MFW builds. Still might be worth looking into though.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I wanted to build a similar sub because for $400 it seems like that would be a great performing sub for the $. But because i dont know a lot of DIY options i wanted to get all your feedback. Because of this i am looking for this sort of advice & recommendations.

Thanks for the DIY Forum idea i will check that out as well. Even if i am able to build a sub that performs as good as the NSD i would be happy. But hey if i can do better than awesome.

Any other advice?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I picked up a used Plus driver and an old cabinet a friend had and built a Franken-Plus with a passive radiator. Sounded great. I think the whole thing cost about $200-300.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Is that an Earthquake Sound passive radiator?

Looks identical to the PR my old MiniMe P12 subs had.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I have now looked into:
Infinty Reference sub option (ported)
CSS Trio12/BASH 500 combo (ported or PR)
Dayton Reference HF/BASH 300 (ported)
Peerless XLS (not XXLS) BASH 300 (ported)

From this list of DIY subwoofer projects, does anyone have experience or thoughts as to my better bet?...

annunaki

annunaki

I have now looked into:

From this list of DIY subwoofer projects, does anyone have experience or thoughts as to my better bet?...
With the list of drivers you have there, I would tend to lean towards the CSS and the Dayton Reference. The Peerless seem to be overpriced. As for the Infinity I have not seen any third party data on the new drivers to verify them as nice as the perfect vq. That, and I am not a fan of the overall reliability on Infinity subwoofers.

If you did the CSS with the PRs (Quartet kit) it will come in at $444.00 shipped to your door. this will allow for a simple build in about 3.5ft^3 of air and outperform the SVS.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Annunaki:
Thank you for that reply. I didnt know that the Infinity Ref driver didnt have 3rd party measurements ot that they didnt have the best reliability history. These are the exact things im looking for to rule out options so thank you for that.

If we built the Trio12 with dual PRs, i could make the cabinet dimensions different as long as the internal volume stayed the same right? Without hurting any performance? This is probably a silly question but just double checking. I ask because the cube dimensions that are recommended (21"cubed) are an awquared size. Id rather do a narrow & deep cabinet instead of cubed.

How about the CSS Trio12 without PRs but instead in a ported enclosure. Would this still be a good design? All the while saving a bit in order to get closer to his budget? Im thinking a slot port or dual triangular ports (think VTF-15h) since this would reduce cost for the actual ports & i think they look better.

Would i benefit much from using the BASH500 over the BASH300?
Would the amp needed differ between the ported vs PR design?

Thanks again for the help!

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Do you think the new Trio12 driver is as good as the old one? The new one is stamped steel instead of cast & the cone is paper now. I know my HSU drivers are built this way. Its very cost effective but does it effect the performance at all?

So far im leaning towards the Trio12 in a ported box with the BASH300 amp.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
All TC sound drivers are so inefficient. When I was looking at building my sub it came down to either TC sounds or AE av series...I opted for the AE because of their better inductances and higher sensitivity levels making them much easier to drive with mininal power...tc sound are just to power hungry for the average bugdet minded DIY. If it were me...I'd pass on them if you're looking to keep cost down.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I have now looked into:

A vented Trio 12 would be my pick if you're sticking to 12s.

If you can deal with a big box, go with an RSS390! That's a 15 with a nice motor.

annunaki

annunaki

Annunaki:
Thank you for that reply. I didnt know that the Infinity Ref driver didnt have 3rd party measurements ot that they didnt have the best reliability history. These are the exact things im looking for to rule out options so thank you for that.

If we built the Trio12 with dual PRs, i could make the cabinet dimensions different as long as the internal volume stayed the same right? Without hurting any performance? This is probably a silly question but just double checking. I ask because the cube dimensions that are recommended (21"cubed) are an awquared size. Id rather do a narrow & deep cabinet instead of cubed.

How about the CSS Trio12 without PRs but instead in a ported enclosure. Would this still be a good design? All the while saving a bit in order to get closer to his budget? Im thinking a slot port or dual triangular ports (think VTF-15h) since this would reduce cost for the actual ports & i think they look better.

Would i benefit much from using the BASH500 over the BASH300?
Would the amp needed differ between the ported vs PR design?

Thanks again for the help!
The amplifier will not matter too much vented or PR as the efficiency s about the same. The CSS will do very well with only 300 rms as it is a very efficient driver.

The cabinet dimensions will be fine to adjust as long as the net nternal volume remains the same.

One can get by with a slightly smaller total volume gong the PR route vs vented as there are no vent displacement issues to worry about. Either way it will offer sold performance for a small investment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis