Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
The CSS Triton is an MTM arrangement utilizing the CSS LD25X tweeter Creative Sound - Product Details between two CSS VWR126X mid-woofers Creative Sound - Product Details. The design was done by Jeff Bagby and the kit is sold by Meniscus as well as CSS.

The original plans call for a slot port that can be front or rear mounted, but the cross section area is the same as 3" x 8" round port, which is the way I'm going. I've also opted to build utilizing dado construction which is different from the butt joint or 45 degree plans which come with the kit from Meniscus.

Anyway, on the to the pictures...

I have a few minor adjustments to make the pieces a little tighter, but all in all I'm extremely happy with the dry fit considering there is no room for error. I will have to make a 90 degree bend in the port due to its length and after unsuccessfully finding anything that I can purchase to do this I'm resolved to cut the port at 45 degrees and glue it back together. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better idea.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Thank Natrix! Can't wait to see the results.Cheers, ScottyMac

jinjuku

jinjuku

Keep up the good work. You will like the sound I believe.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
aww man, you have no idea how badly i want a pair of those LD25Xs :D

Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
I appreciate all the words of encouragement and jealousy even if it's just the tweeter:D

Of course, I messed up one of my baffles by marking one of my lines for the mid woofers 1/4" off and I didn't catch it until it was too late, so that slowed me down a little. Also, the outer diameter of the tweeter is something like 2 31/32" which my Jasper jigs can't cut because they only go down to 1/16 of an inch. I cut one at 2 15/16" but after filing and sanding so the tweeter would fit I decided to cut the second one at 3" and deal with the play.

I also thought I would share a tool that has helped immensely with this project. Others may be aware of it, but I have never seen anyone mention it: The Incra T-Rule12 Incra T-RULE12 12-Inch Precision Marking T-Rule - Amazon.com It measures down to 1/64" and has holes that a .5mm mechanical pencil fits into so you can just drag it across your workpiece and have a consistent line fast and easy. The price of admission was definitely worth it to me. If I were dealing with a larger project something longer would be necessary, but for these bookshelves the 12" version is perfect.

I still have quite a ways to go, but this is a fun project that challenges my planning and mathematical skills and is a nice break from the day to day routine.

Here are some more pictures of my slow but sure progress:

J

johngalt47

Enthusiast
Any progress? I have the drivers and want to put the port in the back also.

Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
johngalt47
Any progress? I have the drivers and want to put the port in the back also.​

I have put this project on the shelf for the time being. I was going strong, but got sick and haven't worked on them since. I kinda got hung up on the port solution and that is contributing to my lack of effort in moving forward. I bought some Precision Ports that I was going to use, but after talking to the guys at Meniscus the flares are unnecessary and really are too big for the enclosure. The Precision Port tube is made from custom ABS and is fairly thin, so I envision problems with 45ing it and trying to glue it back together. I think the solution is to use PVC, but if I had to do these over I'd just put the slot port on the back and not worry about a solution to the round port problem.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Man I envy you and fuzz, such precise great work, wowee. Love to see the finish product. Hope you're feeling better these days.

Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
Man I envy you and fuzz, such precise great work, wowee. Love to see the finish product. Hope you're feeling better these days.
Thanks Joe. I'll echo what fuzz has said before in that it's the proper quality tools that make things look good. I'm definitely feeling better and will get back to these once I'm done with the Mandolins. I'm gonna rebuild whatever is required to put in the slot port as I could never figure out an acceptable way to install the round port. I have a crazy idea for finishing the Tritons, but that is a ways off.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis