CSS SDX12 Build Thread

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
imagine what you will be getting if you crank the master volume control up? I got something like 119 dB on my Trio12 at 20 Hz with volume around -6 on my receiver. (SPL meter at about 10 feet) from woofer cone.

I think you should pick a "base frequency" that will be inside the curve that you will be using for your measurements. Pick something like 40 Hz, then set your volumes, etc, to get about 80 db on the meter, then run your tones and take measurements.
I did use 40Hz as my zero frequency during one of my test sessions (post #31). I need to find time to do some more testing and crank these mothers...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
My SDX12 arrived today to replace the driver in this: Trio12 APR15 build
Hopefully the mounting bolts line up !
I think you'll be very happy with it. I still haven't gotten mine dialed in with the EQ yet. That said, they sound very good as they are. I should find some time this Fall to mess around with them.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
It does sound pretty sweet. Was a little tricky getting it mounted in place of the old one. What design did you use? 15" APR or a pair of 12" APRs per sub?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It does sound pretty sweet. Was a little tricky getting it mounted in place of the old one. What design did you use? 15" APR or a pair of 12" APRs per sub?
I went with the pair of APR12's.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
cool. My other one is dual APR 12's, but it is too large for a SDX12, so I will have to build a smaller cabinet. I am thinking of keeping the large cabinet for a bass bin in my band. I have to consider the need of keeping the APRs in it for that purpose, or plug them up... options options

steve nn

steve nn

Enthusiast
How nice to come across this thread! Sounds like you have quite a sub going for you there. I decided to take the PR plunge myself a month ago and am very glad I did. For some reason I always had a bias against the design but now know if done right it is a great SW option. I went with the exact same design as you with the 12” SDX and the dual 12” PR’s with the SPA1000. At this time I have been running it with a EP though due to a problem with the SPA which is being fixed by Bob. Anyway in my room I have a +-3dB going down to 14hz with no dsp. I couldn’t believe it, all that in a enclosure that size! It sort of felt like I wasn’t building a sub considering other builds I’ve done.. one being a 15” SDX LLT sono that I still have. Anyway I have this sub in my bedroom which is 25 X 12 with slanted tent like ceilings, so it comes in rather small at around 1000 cu ft. I’ve pushed the sub to 110dB peaks without correction and called it good. That works for me! Since I missed a couple small pilot holes on one of my PR’s it developed a little hissing noise and I took it as the PR’s were reaching there limit, but after investigating I found the problem and fixed it. If your sub is anything like mine the SQ is wonderful. Some of that is room dependent I admit and of course the +-, but none the same a stellar sub imo. I notice SVS has been brought up a few times in this thread, great subs to be sure (I have had 13 of them) but imo your dialed in with a superb sub in such a small package.

One thing I did do different is I elected to not to employ the amp as onboard. So I did gain a little enclosure volume doing so and I had to mod the baffle since I elected to go different dimensions than suggested lol. I didn’t account for magnet flare so I had to beef up the baffle mounting. I had the PR’s and driver countersunk, but now only the PR’s since the driver needed to be brought out a little so it would not hit the PR’s. Anyway I thought I would stop in and say Hi and let you know I really enjoyed reading your thread. Might you have any pics you might be comfortable in sharing? :cool:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
How nice to come across this thread! Sounds like you have quite a sub going for you there. I decided to take the PR plunge myself a month ago and am very glad I did. For some reason I always had a bias against the design but now know if done right it is a great SW option. I went with the exact same design as you with the 12” SDX and the dual 12” PR’s with the SPA1000. At this time I have been running it with a EP though due to a problem with the SPA which is being fixed by Bob. Anyway in my room I have a +-3dB going down to 14hz with no dsp. I couldn’t believe it, all that in a enclosure that size! It sort of felt like I wasn’t building a sub considering other builds I’ve done.. one being a 15” SDX LLT sono that I still have. Anyway I have this sub in my bedroom which is 25 X 12 with slanted tent like ceilings, so it comes in rather small at around 1000 cu ft. I’ve pushed the sub to 110dB peaks without correction and called it good. That works for me! Since I missed a couple small pilot holes on one of my PR’s it developed a little hissing noise and I took it as the PR’s were reaching there limit, but after investigating I found the problem and fixed it. If your sub is anything like mine the SQ is wonderful. Some of that is room dependent I admit and of course the +-, but none the same a stellar sub imo. I notice SVS has been brought up a few times in this thread, great subs to be sure (I have had 13 of them) but imo your dialed in with a superb sub in such a small package.

One thing I did do different is I elected to not to employ the amp as onboard. So I did gain a little enclosure volume doing so and I had to mod the baffle since I elected to go different dimensions than suggested lol. I didn’t account for magnet flare so I had to beef up the baffle mounting. I had the PR’s and driver countersunk, but now only the PR’s since the driver needed to be brought out a little so it would not hit the PR’s. Anyway I thought I would stop in and say Hi and let you know I really enjoyed reading your thread. Might you have any pics you might be comfortable in sharing? :cool:
Thanks for your interest! I still have some fine tuning to do yet, but spring/summer were quite busy for me. I hope to find some time to mess around with them this fall. I haven't taken any pics besides the ones posted in this thread. I wouldn't get any good shots now, with them behind the false wall. As I mentioned before, I just painted them flat black, so they aren't much to look at. If they were going to be visible, I would've taken the time and effort to put a nice finish on them.

steve nn

steve nn

Enthusiast
^^^ The pics you did post looked great imo. I also liked your bracing schematic. Reading through your thread I learned a few things about the PR option that I did not know, and which I found very interesting and worth keeping. Congrats!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I lost track of this too and am always interested in PR options due to space constraints.

BTW, your bracing does not look nearly complicated enough. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis