Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I have no idea about either bikes current model. :eek:

If the past is any indicator the R1 will be a bit more refined and civil on the street. The R1's tend to be slightly over stable making starting a turn require a little effort.

The GSXR will be edgier and feel a bit twitchy due to the more aggressive suspension set up. This is why GSXR's turn so well.

That being said my R1 is now 6 years old and still spins like a top. I think it's really just a choice you could base off looks, after all both are members of the best performing machines on the planet club!

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have no idea about either bikes current model. :eek:

If the past is any indicator the R1 will be a bit more refined and civil on the street. The R1's tend to be slightly over stable making starting a turn require a little effort.

The GSXR will be edgier and feel a bit twitchy due to the more aggressive suspension set up. This is why GSXR's turn so well.

That being said my R1 is now 6 years old and still spins like a top. I think it's really just a choice you could base off looks, after all both are members of the best performing machines on the planet club!
Yes I like the feeling on the edge and I want a bike to dive in a turn without much effort since I do more track days then street riding . I think the R1 Is a beautiful bike and actualy prefer yours over the newer ones look wise . Its going to be hard choice betwen my top 4 pics, Yamaha r1, cbr 1000rr , Kawi ZX10, gsxr 1000. Guess will see next month :D

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
The new gear smell has worn off!

Well after having the Denon AVR-4311ci for a while now (and using it a LOT) I feel like sharing some impressions and my experience.

My initial thought after installing the 4311 and running Audyssey was "wow, that sounds different!". New gear that sounds different is good right? The bass problems in my room were all but gone so my impressions were good. Details in upright bass were revealed that I haven't heard on my system before, as well as subtle surround effects seemed to be much more coherent. Thing were looking (sounding) peachy for the new 4311.

Then we watched "2012".

:eek: WTF!?! :eek:

I see the Earth ripping apart, I hear glass, wood, asphalt, steel, and other effects all around me. The surround presentation was as good as any I've heard, but where is my LFE? :confused: Mind you, the subs in my room are no slouches when it come to the really low-down visceral stuff. But there wasn't any!?! That seemed like a huge missed opportunity on the sound engineers part. After all, we waited to see this at home because any movie that is about the Earth coming apart is going to have awesome bass in it and few commercial theaters can match mine for slam.

The movie comes to its under whelming end and out comes the RS SPL meter and test discs.

I set-up the SPL meter on the boom stand and start the built-in tones on the 4311. Wait a minute, why are the speakers set to -70 db and not close to -75db? And then I get to the subs. Audyssey set them as a system 11 db lower than the rest of the speakers!:confused::eek::confused:

That explains a whole bunch of things I was/was not hearing.

I promptly level match ALL of my speakers to -75db and move on to the x-overs.

What a mess. Audyssey had set the L/C/R to "Full-Range". This is a good assessment of the RTi-12s as they can play down in the 30's. The center doesn't come close to that. The remaining speakers were all set at 40hz. Really Audyssey, a dipole surround that plays flat to 40Hz?

Setting a global x-over of 80Hz (THX recomended) resulted in considerable doubling (boomy, over-emphasized) bass near the x-over point. So we move to a global setting of 60Hz. Money. I run various sweeps to ensure the level stays nearly flat through the freq. range and move on to some listening tests. This is more like it. Bass is back! Using Audyssey Flat obtained the best response with the sweeps.

Oh, how I missed you bass. Don't ever leave me again! Ahem, moving on.

"2012" goes back in the PS3. WOW! Night and day difference between the first run through and this one. The surrounds still sound as coherent as before, the dialog is crystal, and dammit if the LFE didn't try to redecorate my room.

Moral of the story comes in two parts here.

The first is double check what Audyssey does to your set-up. Not just the speaker configuration (large/small) or the x-over point, but the levels as well. I knew better, not sure why I didn't do this upon initial set-up.

And the second is the 4311 is a great piece of gear. My system now sounds better than it ever has. I've read a lot of complaints of "brightness" with Audyssey engaged with this receiver and I'm almost certain the complaints come from those who didn't re-check what was done. Mine's perfect now.

:D Happy cruise missile. :D

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Obligatory bump pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
Moral of the story comes in two parts here.

The first is double check what Audyssey does to your set-up. Not just the speaker configuration (large/small) or the x-over point, but the levels as well. I knew better, not sure why I didn't do this upon initial set-up.

And the second is the 4311 is a great piece of gear. My system now sounds better than it ever has. I've read a lot of complaints of "brightness" with Audyssey engaged with this receiver and I'm almost certain the complaints come from those who didn't re-check what was done. Mine's perfect now.

:D Happy cruise missile. :D
Glad it worked out and you are happy.

Another miracle brought to you by the SPL Meter!!!!

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Pic of Rack with monitor.

The rack with the monitor set-up so the PJ doesn't need to fire up for things like streaming music etc..

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Nice rack. The only thing that bugs me about the theater is the window/drapes behind the right side of the screen. I'd probably just buy one big curtain and make it even :D

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
It's making me crazy also. I will be doing something about soon hopefully. The plan is to put in some room treatments and then put in a stage type curtain behind the screen.

The screen had to be mounted out from the wall in order to clear the window frame. I used 2x4's to move it out.

The black velveteen covering the window is intended to be used to cover the entire stage wall, and will be once I put in the room treatments.

Last edited:
Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Ask and you shall receive.

When I said soon, I meant it. I'm going to let the wrinkles relax a bit then hit it with the steamer. This was done with 4 Eclipse curtains bought at Wal-Mart. They are fake suede. And as requested, Adam the cat makes a return appearance!
:D

For grins and giggles I tried a couple of screen shots. Please understand these were taken with a tired casio point and shoot, so the quality is not represenative of the on screen images.

A

audit13

Audioholic Intern
I love the look of the speakers. Personally, black is so yesteday:)

I also have a couple of cats and, luckily, they have stayed away from my speaker grills:D

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
We have two cats. The Internet famous Adam and the Ninja-chicken Darren. I believe Adam is the one who gets on the subs due to the grey fur left behind.

The funny thing is Darrens odd little habit. If the grills are off either the towers or the subs he'll stick his head in the ports while they're playing.:eek: The first time I was playing a bass-heavy track at +/- 100db and he walks over to the sub and puts his head in the port! I thought he was going to be blown across the room but the only thing moving was his fur. He's a TRUE bass-head.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Pop!!!

We had neighbors over to watch Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and 3/4 of the way through the bulb in my projector dies! 220+/- hours on it! Guess I'll be calling Epson Monday morning. Bummer. :mad:

The projector was used in "THX" mode, "Normal" power, "High Altitude" fan speed, and properly calibrated. The were no instances of rapid power toggle, no power outage during use, and power was ran through my APC H15 conditioner.

I really loathe when the internet is right. I had read in several places of the issues some users are having with the bulbs and figured what I was seeing was the minority of users. People who don't have issues normally don't post their experiences.

The scary part is I looked on Epsons website to see how much a spare would run and they're out of stock! That's pretty alarming to me.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
We have two cats. The Internet famous Adam and the Ninja-chicken Darren. I believe Adam is the one who gets on the subs due to the grey fur left behind.

The funny thing is Darrens odd little habit. If the grills are off either the towers or the subs he'll stick his head in the ports while they're playing.:eek: The first time I was playing a bass-heavy track at +/- 100db and he walks over to the sub and puts his head in the port! I thought he was going to be blown across the room but the only thing moving was his fur. He's a TRUE bass-head.
I can't remember if I've commented on this or not, but holy Cow that's a nice set up you have.

My cat does this. She sticks her head in the port every time she walks by the sub. I asked my wife she was putting treats in the port.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Miracle

I removed the bulb from the 8700ub and it looked fine so I put it back in. Now it works again.:confused:

At least I don't have to go without my system working for now.

Still going to give them a call in the morning.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Cha-cha-cha-changes.....

I just comepleted the install of our new OPPO bdp-93!!!!

Initial impressions are good. Video might be a smidge better than the PS3 with Blu-ray, however audio-wise the OPPO destroys the PS3! Not to mention I can play my AVCHD discs again!!

While I had the rack out I repaired and reinstalled my karaoke system.

I'll post pics tomorrow.:D

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I may have cheered too soon.

While browsing here I've had an Avchd playing and experienced a few drop-outs. Ill look the disc over once its finished, but considering this is the third time its been played I doubt its the disc.

Bummer.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Disc has some scoring on it. (OPPO's off the hook)

Must have been from the horrible noises the PS3 made while trying to play it. Funny thing, the PS3 used to play acvhd's. Somewhere along the way Sony killed it with a firmware update.

I've never liked how Sony removes features to try and push their own formats. It's one thing to never support it and an entire other thing to sell a device with it and then take it away. :mad:

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Moving soon!

Well in about a month we're moving from our townhome apartment to a house! Finally going to get to crank the system to 11! :D

The news gets a bit better....:confused:

After looking the floor plans over the wife suggested using the master bedroom for the theater! :eek:

The room is 14'7"W x 17'10"L x 9' H. Being a bedroom means it's closed off from the rest of the house, should be able to rattle fillings loose with the subs in there. Looks to be perfect for this setup. :cool:

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Did I mention I'm stoked?

Actually, I did this so my post count would hit 200. :D

Only took like 4 years.....

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Well in about a month we're moving from our townhome apartment to a house! Finally going to get to crank the system to 11! :D

The news gets a bit better....:confused:

After looking the floor plans over the wife suggested using the master bedroom for the theater! :eek:

The room is 14'7"W x 17'10"L x 9' H. Being a bedroom means it's closed off from the rest of the house, should be able to rattle fillings loose with the subs in there. Looks to be perfect for this setup. :cool:
Sounds like a keeper to me. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis