Crown XLS1500 Power Amplifier too powerful for 10 speakers?

H

highrider

Audiophyte
Hello AVS community!

I am setting up the sound system for a 5000 sq.ft retail store (My first time doing this) and I've picked the following hardware:

*Crown XLS1500 Power Amplifier (300 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 525 watts per channel at 4 ohms, 1550 watts per channel at 4 ohms bridged)

*10 x Yamaha NS-AW150W (6 ohms, RMS: 35W, MAX:120W)

*700 feet of speaker wiring

The installation people did not want to connect the amp to the system saying that the amp was too powerful. However, my original intention was to have the amp be able to support all the speakers since we needed to use a lot of wiring to cover the entire space. I am not looking to blast the space with music. It is just going to be used for some background music so the volume is not going to be turned up at all.

What do you think? Can I use the amp safely? If yes, how do you think I should do the wiring?

Thank you in advance!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello AVS community!

I am setting up the sound system for a 5000 sq.ft retail store (My first time doing this) and I've picked the following hardware:

*Crown XLS1500 Power Amplifier (300 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 525 watts per channel at 4 ohms, 1550 watts per channel at 4 ohms bridged)

*10 x Yamaha NS-AW150W (6 ohms, RMS: 35W, MAX:120W)

*700 feet of speaker wiring

The installation people did not want to connect the amp to the system saying that the amp was too powerful. However, my original intention was to have the amp be able to support all the speakers since we needed to use a lot of wiring to cover the entire space. I am not looking to blast the space with music. It is just going to be used for some background music so the volume is not going to be turned up at all.

What do you think? Can I use the amp safely? If yes, how do you think I should do the wiring?

Thank you in advance!
Start with a new installation crew:D If anything, I would think not powerful enough. Someone with more experience will weigh in on it soon, I would think. In general, it was probably a good decision not to hook them all up to 2 channels, but "too powerful amp" is just about an oxymoron.

I guess it depends on how you would hook them up. All in parallel would be bad, all in series would probably work but not get to high volumes. A combo of P/S would probably get you somewhere you could live with it and be safe, but I'm too lazy to do the math. Perhaps they were too lazy to do the math too.

700 feet? That is a long run. What AWG wire were you trying to use?

And, that amp seems to have gain control on it (i.e. attenuators or volume control), so you should be able to throttle it down if it were truly too powerful.

Did they try to sell you a different model amp? One that is less powerful and that they "just happen to have in stock". If yes, then if it were me, I would be done dealing with them.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Hello AVS community!

1. This is Audioholics. I think when you say AVS community you mean AVSForum.com :)

2. What do I think? I think you are going about it the wrong way.

3. How do I think you should do it? Get a pro to put in a 70v distributed system and also have them assess the space. I don't think you would need ten speakers.

I think you may be in over your head and I am more than a bit certain you are going about it the wrong way.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Why not follow the advise of the installers? I assume they are far more well versed on your setup than us. We don't have nearly enough details to give even a wild guess.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Why not follow the advise of the installers? I assume they are far more well versed on your setup than us. We don't have nearly enough details to give even a wild guess.
I have to disagree with you there. Any time you see 700 foot of wire, multiples of speakers, and a standard 2/4/8 ohm amp it's enough to at the very least say a 70v system with volume pots would be the way to go.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Absolutely. The Crown amp is totally the wrong amp for your application.

You need a 70 volt mono professional PA amp.

That way the long speaker lines will not matter and you can use small gauge cable.

The transformer taps on the speakers gives you the great flexibility o how the power is distributed.

This type of commercial audio is a totally different ball game from domestic audio.

If you don't understand this post, then you need to leave this installation to an outfit experienced in commercial installation.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
or you need impedance matching volume controls for every area
(if you want to use existing equipment)

i have no idea how 70v works

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis