G

Gooniebird 63

Enthusiast
Hello, My current crossover settings on my bookshelf speakers are different from the center channel crossover based on the specs of the speakers.
The front left and right are at 60 and the center and surrounds are at 80.
Should they be the same all around or is the way I have them alright ?

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Thats how I have my xovers set. My mains are usually 50-60hrz, center is 80hrz and surrounds I play around with movies I usually set them to 70hrz and surround music I set them to 50hrz (large LCR monitors for surrounds). As long as your subwoofer is set to 80hrz which is what you CC and surrounds are set to your ok.

I keep my subwoofer set to 80hrz and my mains at a lower freq which helps fill in a null around 65-70hrz.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You haven't really given enough info for anyone to properly answer the question. Either the speaker models or the response range of those speakers will help.

Are you saying you ran auto calibration and it set them that way?

G

Gooniebird 63

Enthusiast
Ran cal then reset size to "small" left and right main are Polk RTi4...60-26k Hz and center is JBL Studio Series S-Center...80-20k Hz .

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It won't cause any damage, but I'd set them all to 80Hz based on those numbers. My speakers are -3dB at 55Hz and I use an 80Hz x-over with them and it works great. If you set it too low, you can create gaps in your system's response. A 60hz x-over with a speaker that only goes to 60Hz will likely create a very steep roll off (the x-over and the speaker's natural roll off will combine) and possibly such a dip/gap where it blends to the sub.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
My speakers are -3dB at 55Hz and I use an 80Hz x-over with them and it works great. If you set it too low, you can create gaps in your system's response.
I happen to prefer 80Hz as well, even with large floorstanding speakers capable of digging much deeper. This tidbit applies to bass management overall, but some of the bullet points apply just as much to setting an XO too low as well:

Tip of the Day: Apply Bass Management to Achieve Better System Performance — Reviews and News from Audioholics

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis