B

bgrounds

Audioholic Intern
If you were using an external crossover (pre/pro) and your speakers frequency range goes down to 35 hz where would you rocommend setting the crosover to the sub? This is concerning listeng to mainly music...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If you were using an external crossover (pre/pro) and your speakers frequency range goes down to 35 hz where would you rocommend setting the crosover to the sub? This is concerning listeng to mainly music...
That all depends on the power handling of the speakers and th spl they can generate below 80 to 100 Hz without distress. Also the roll off below 35 Hz is of interest also.

B

bgrounds

Audioholic Intern
Frequency Range
On Axis @ 0° ±1.5dB 33–20,000 Hz
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 30–23,000 Hz
Off Axis @ 30° ±3dB 33–10,000 Hz
Lf Cutoff -10dB 24 Hz
Sensitivity
1w (2.83V) @ 1m, IEC-filtered Pink Noise, C-weighted
Anechoic Chamber 88 dB
Typical Listening Room 90 dB
Impedence
Nominal 4 Ohms
Minimum 4 Ohmns
Input Power
RMS, Clipping < 10% of the Time
Recommended 20–300 Watts
Program 300 Watts
Acoustic Design
Tweeter (Nominal) 1″ (25 mm)
Titanium Dome with Ferrofluid
Midrange (Nominal) 4″ (102 mm)
Fine weave fiberglass
Natural fiber cone
Rubber Surround
Woofer (Nominal) 3 x 6½″ (165 mm)
Fine weave fiberglass
Natural fiber cone
Rubber Surround
Crossover 2,200 Hz, LR4, 500Hz
Internal Volume Design Type 2.35 cu ft (67 litres)
Bass Reflex

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Frequency Range
On Axis @ 0° ±1.5dB 33–20,000 Hz
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 30–23,000 Hz
Off Axis @ 30° ±3dB 33–10,000 Hz
Lf Cutoff -10dB 24 Hz
Sensitivity
1w (2.83V) @ 1m, IEC-filtered Pink Noise, C-weighted
Anechoic Chamber 88 dB
Typical Listening Room 90 dB
Impedence
Nominal 4 Ohms
Minimum 4 Ohmns
Input Power
RMS, Clipping < 10% of the Time
Recommended 20–300 Watts
Program 300 Watts
Acoustic Design
Tweeter (Nominal) 1″ (25 mm)
Titanium Dome with Ferrofluid
Midrange (Nominal) 4″ (102 mm)
Fine weave fiberglass
Natural fiber cone
Rubber Surround
Woofer (Nominal) 3 x 6½″ (165 mm)
Fine weave fiberglass
Natural fiber cone
Rubber Surround
Crossover 2,200 Hz, LR4, 500Hz
Internal Volume Design Type 2.35 cu ft (67 litres)
Bass Reflex
OK what are these speakers? Three 6 1/2 inch woofers should have fairly decent power handling in the bass. If these speakers have a good natural robust bass of good quality, I would run them full range and with listening tests start introducing the sub at increasingly higher frequencies starting around 40 Hz. Make sure you do phasing tests. See what sounds best. If the speakers seem weak in the wind and or stressed in the last octave and a half, I would cut the LF out of them at between 60 and 100Hz and crossover most likely in the 60 to 80 Hz range. The Lucas people (THX) will give you the latter advice anyway. But I'm an independent old curmudgeon who disagrees with a lot that Lucas labs have to say. Don't make the mistake of setting the sub at too high a level. Such a common mistake.

A

Antus

Audioholic Intern
for music, it is recommended to set crossover below 100Hz. the reason is that low frequency are not directional. usually, if it's above 100hz, it's become more directional.

in addition, for music, it's recommended to put sub in between front speakers, for better imaging.

B

bgrounds

Audioholic Intern
xover

These are PSB Synchrony Ones which sound incredible. That is exactly my concern setting the xover too high. I have 2 ML Depth's. I know Lucas recommends setting the speakers to small and the xover at 80hz but I wanted to get other opinions.

Thx for the info....

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
I would suggest listening to music with just the mains for awhile, then playing a test disc with incremental tones going downward in the frequency range, and pay some attention to when the notes sound weak, and have less impact on the lower tone feeling sensations, you may find what is close to the ideal for your particular setup including your room gains from the main speakers. There was a post not too long ago with a test disc to download, you can always rearrange the files to go down instead of up for your situation. PM me if you need a test disc download for your needs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis