Crossover want to build

Q

qbert

Audiophyte
Im really new to this so any help would be great.
Heres what i got
4 Selenium ST200
4 Selenium 6W4P
4 Selenium 8W4P

Now i was thinking about a 3 way setup because i only have 1 four channel amp. After looking online i found this
3rd Order Normal Polarity

2000 Hertz / 250 Hertz

8 Ohm Tweeter / 8 Ohm Mid / 8 Ohm Woofer
0.99 db Bandpass Gain, Spread = 8 : 3 octaves
Parts List
Capacitors
C1 = 7.24 uF
C2 = 18.29 uF
C3 = 15.63 uF
C4 = 55.01 uF
C5 = 170.89 uF
C6 = 106.5 uF
Inductors
L1 = 0.48 mH
L2 = 0.72 mH
L3 = 0.32 mH
L4 = 3.84 mH
L5 = 7 mH
L6 = 2.77 mH
sorry cant post the link to the diagram yet.
Would this be fine?

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Heres what i got
4 Selenium ST200
4 Selenium 6W4P
4 Selenium 8W4P

Now i was thinking about a 3 way setup because i only have 1 four channel amp. After looking online i found this

2000 Hertz / 250 Hertz

Parts List
Capacitors
C1 = 7.24 uF
C2 = 18.29 uF
C3 = 15.63 uF
C4 = 55.01 uF
C5 = 170.89 uF
C6 = 106.5 uF
Inductors
L1 = 0.48 mH
L2 = 0.72 mH
L3 = 0.32 mH
L4 = 3.84 mH
L5 = 7 mH
L6 = 2.77 mH
Would this be fine?
You can't use an off-the-shelf crossover for anything other than what the crossover was designed for. You have to design it from scratch and that is a daunting task. I think you can throw out that idea.

You have many large hurdles to cross to get to success here.

1. Driver selection. I only peeked at the three drivers and I did not do an analysis to determine the suitability. That is not a trivial task. There are a lot of factors to consider for suitability.

2. The only thing harder than building a 3-way system is a 4-way system. 2-ways are hard enough, but it gets almost exponentially worse when you get to a 3-way and more so with a 4-way.

3. Everything is interdependent. That is, drivers, cabinet, crossovers (even the room). Change any one of those parameters and it changes everything else. Think of the design as a system.

4. Knowledge. You need to learn more about the subject so that you can get your arms around what you want to do. You may decide to change your path once you learn more, so be open to start form the beginning.

For a beginner it is like learning rock climbing by trekking up Mount Rainier.

Do you have Ray Alder's book Speaker Building 201?

I would consider starting with that or maybe Vance Dickason's The Loudspeaker DDesign Cookbook if your math skills are sharp and you have a background in science.

Either of these books will help you lay down a foundation on the subject so that you can be better aware of what lies ahead.

Back to the 3-way. One valid way to simplify the 3-way is to bi-amp it. This way you only need to design a 2-way crossover and can run the woofers directly on their own amp.

One final though. Beginners should really start with a kit. A kit already has the box calculations done, the crossover designed, and matching of drivers selected. As I said before, none of that is a simple job for an expert and a huge hurdle for a novice. Something to consider.

Last edited:
Q

qbert

Audiophyte
I'm getting fustrated with this. I've had these speakers for awhile now just sitting here waiting to listen and I really don't know the best way to hook them up.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
I'm getting fustrated with this. I've had these speakers for awhile now just sitting here waiting to listen and I really don't know the best way to hook them up.
Well, it's like wanting to be a surgeon. It may be frustrating getting your license, but you can't just grab a scalpel and dig in.

Although speaker building isn't medicine, it isn't a trivial activity, either.

I guess you have two choices:

1. Get someone to do everything for you and then you build the wooden cabinets, or

2. Learn how to do it yourself.

The latter doesn't preclude getting help along the way, in fact it is a good idea, but you will find it harder to get help if you are not willing to at least try to learn something.

There are a lot of really informed people here that will take the time to light the path for you, but you still have to walk it, frustrated or not.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Heres what i got
4 Selenium ST200
4 Selenium 6W4P
4 Selenium 8W4P

2000 Hertz / 250 Hertz

Parts List
Capacitors
C1 = 7.24 uF
C2 = 18.29 uF
C3 = 15.63 uF
C4 = 55.01 uF
C5 = 170.89 uF
C6 = 106.5 uF
Inductors
L1 = 0.48 mH
L2 = 0.72 mH
L3 = 0.32 mH
L4 = 3.84 mH
L5 = 7 mH
L6 = 2.77 mH
Would this be fine?
I'm sorry to break it to you. But you have absolute junk, that no one could make a good speaker out of.

I will say one thing the manufacturer was brutally honest in their spec sheets. I will give them a lot of credit for that, but I'm guessing they figured that in their target market no one could interpret a spec sheet.

The tweeter is only really usable above 5 kHz which is why they call it a super tweeter. They operate 5 kHz and above.

The 6" unit starts to roll off at 110 Hz.

The 8" unit has a higher Fs than the 6" and rolls off at 110 Hz!

The Fs of the 8" is 107 Hz and therefore will decouple above 100 Hz.

The frequency response of the 6" and 8 " units is far too rocky to attempt to make any kind of decent mid band response.

I was amused by some of the consumer reviews.

One of the reviews said that the tweeter had pretty good sound but that the plastic buzzed a lot!

So really those speakers are a disgraceful waste of the Earth's resources.

The kindest thing you can do is give them a decent burial. They are not worth one red cent of further effort or expense.

You are better off with your TV speakers.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

So the good Dr. is a little harsh, but he is right. Poorly engineered drivers results in a speaker that is nothing but compromises of poor driver design.

I would go with some pre-engineered designs to start. Look at some of the projects from www.zaphaudio.com. He does very well in his crossover designs as well as driver selection.

There are many others but his is a good place to start.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis