B

BBall

Audiophyte
Hello My Friends, This is my first post on this really informational site. Here is my question. I have:
Sony ES5300 Rec
Klipsch F3 fronts
Klipsch C3 center
Klipsch S3 surr
Klipsch S2 rears
2Klipsch Subs(sub 12 and KSW 12)

What would be the best Xover settings for my set up.
any help would be wonderful. Thanks in advance

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with your specific speakers, so perhaps someone else will chime in with some additional info. The general THX guideline for the crossover frequency is 80Hz. I'd say that would be a good place to start with most of your speakers. The only one that I'd tweak to start with are the S2 speakers - they are only rated down to 83Hz at +/- 3dB. You could also go a bit lower with the F3s - I'd recommend trying some different settings and see what sounds the best to you. It doesn't look like you can set the crossover differently for the surrounds and rears, so my recommendations to start with are:

Front Crossover: 80Hz, dropping down to 50Hz in 10Hz increments to see what you prefer
Center Crossover: 80Hz
Surround Crossover: 90Hz

Set the lowpass filters on the Sub-12 KSW-12 to the highest setting (120Hz).

Adam

PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
This is an reply from Warpdrv from a similar question I asked a few days ago so please give him credit if you find it usefull.

When crossing over the mains to the sub, you should really let the Room decide which freq to crossover, and I would be sure not to cross over lower then 60hz .

By saying "let the room decide" I mean that you should be testing the freq response with a spl meter with a sweep of test tones and graphing the output, if you have a big dip in output where you are blending the mains to the sub, that may not be the best place to cross over. You want the graph to be as flat as possible where your crossing over, if its not flat your room may be presenting a problem to use that setting. Experiment with a number of different settings to make sure you choose the best for your room....

Go here to download a test tone CD and read that page... As you can see in the graph on that page, they have a very nasty looking graph... What you are looking for is a nice smooth response much like this... http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Warpdrv/HT-Great Room/HTPics014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BBall

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the response. I live in St. Pete.(Go Rays)
Here is some more info. on my setup.
Sony 52' Bravia 5 TV
PS3 80 Gig
Panamax M5300 surge protector
Direct TV HD/DVR
JVC Cassette Deck(Old school)
Technics Turntable(about 3,000 records again old school)

My next question, should i set my fronts to small or large. I have seen Pros and cons for either. I have them set to small now with the following settings:

F-3s 40hz
C-3 80hz
S-3s & S-2s 90hz
Subs @ 100 hz volume on sub dial half way

In my 7.1 set up I used an SPL device to set the speakers, and used a setting of 80.
Was that the correct procedure. Again Thanks in advance for your comments. :)

PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
Set all your speakers to small with 80-60hz crossover. just don't go below 60hz. This will give you more headroom and be eaiser on your amp/receiver.

B

BBall

Audiophyte
Thank you I will try that setting and see what it sounds like.
The F3s are rated down to 35hz
the C3 down to 73hz
the S3s to 62hz
the S2s to 83hz

I hope this will also help. Thanks in Advance

B

BBall

Audiophyte
Crossover Settings for subs

Hello my friends, I need some advice and guidance.
My current set up includes all Klipsch speakers:
F3s front set at 60hz
C3 center set at 80hz
S3s surround sides set at 90hz
S2s surround rears set at 90hz
Sub 12s(2) set at 60hz

My question is, why do I have to set the subs at 120hz. The Bass is not as good as when set to between 50-80hz
I also like the sound when my fronts are set to Large, and all others small. I have a Sony ES 5300 receiver that allows for that setup.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis