walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I have (2 )400 watt Powertowers (Front mains)and 2 Subwoofers. On my processor I set my sub to 80hz. My question is how can I get the most out of my towers subs, theoreticly I think I don't utilize them at all. What setting should I have on the processor crossover and the sub crossover. Thanks
Rotel 1066 has only sub settings for all speakers, not like other processors I have had on which you can set the crossover point for each speaker.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have (2 )400 watt Powertowers (Front mains)and 2 Subwoofers. On my processor I set my sub to 80hz. My question is how can I get the most out of my towers subs, theoreticly I think I don't utilize them at all. What setting should I have on the processor crossover and the sub crossover. Thanks
Rotel 1066 has only sub settings for all speakers, not like other processors I have had on which you can set the crossover point for each speaker.
What are your other speakers? If they are decent then set bass management to max, and the crossover between 60 and 80 Hz. Rotel assume that if you have one set of decent speakers the rest will be as well.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
What are your other speakers? If they are decent then set bass management to max, and the crossover between 60 and 80 Hz. Rotel assume that if you have one set of decent speakers the rest will be as well.
Do you mean set the crossover on the processor to off and set all 4 subs between 60-80hz? Speakers are good cost around $15000.00 for 7.2

Last edited:
no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
What is the make/model of your fount speakers and subwoofers?

For what it's worth, the way sound behaves at low frequency in a room, getting 'the most' out of your power tower's may cause a reduction in sound quality.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Do you mean set the crossover on the processor to off and set all 4 subs between 60-80hz? Speakers are good cost around $15000.00 for 7.2
No, set all speakers to large, and then there is an option in the menu, which is max. Then the LFE is sent to the subs, + a portion of the bass from all channels. Leave the sub crossovers off, set the Rotel crossover to 60 or 80 Hz.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
What is the make/model of your fount speakers and subwoofers?

For what it's worth, the way sound behaves at low frequency in a room, getting 'the most' out of your power tower's may cause a reduction in sound quality.
We started with the 2268 WC changed the midbass to an 8" and added 2 8" subwoofers with 400 watt amps. They are custom made I don't have a picture on hand but I can get one after I get off work.

http://www.sourcespeaker.com/Floorstandinglist-2.html
http://www.sourcespeaker.com/XLS.html
http://www.sourcespeaker.com/SW12ULT-DFSub.html

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
No, set all speakers to large, and then there is an option in the menu, which is max. Then the LFE is sent to the subs, + a portion of the bass from all channels. Leave the sub crossovers off, set the Rotel crossover to 60 or 80 Hz.
I'll check this out as soon as I get home.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

We started with the 2268 WC changed the midbass to an 8" and added 2 8" subwoofers with 400 watt amps. They are custom made I don't have a picture on hand but I can get one after I get off work.

http://www.sourcespeaker.com/Floorstandinglist-2.html
http://www.sourcespeaker.com/XLS.html
http://www.sourcespeaker.com/SW12ULT-DFSub.html
You can't just go changing drivers. You have to change the crossover as well. I doubt the 8' has the bandwidth to reach the tweeter before cone break up.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
You can't just go changing drivers. You have to change the crossover as well. I doubt the 8' has the bandwidth to reach the tweeter before cone break up.
The 2268 wc are similar to the towers. This was just to give you an idea what they look like.

The 8.3 Power Tower is our premium self powered "fast response" floor standing speaker system designed to exceed the utmost demands of high end Stereo and Home Theater. Using a dedicated sub bass amplfier for each channel has many advantages that include high current, focused power and enhanced dynamics. Dual high flux,cast 8"Quiet Cone™wool carbon woofers, independently powered by dedicated 400 W sub amplfiers, provide deep and detailed bass response down to 25Hz! Each amplifier has level and low pass controls for precise in room adjustment. A chambered 8" midbass/midrange unit is complemented by dual vent (compound) loading for unequalled mid-bass "speed" and clarity Sonic attributes include enhanced aural cues, superior note to note delineation, precise harmonic balance and effortless presentation. Technical measurements boast reference quality flat response with extremely low distortion, "easy" impedance, clean impulse, and over 110 db of dynamic headroom!

Easily the match for speaker systems costing more than
$10,000 pair the 8.3 can not be equalled in the $5K price range.

Specifications
System Design Three way power tower with compound bass loading
Bass/Mirange (2) ea 8" high flux cast wool carbon with 1.75 VC
Dedicated power to bass sect. 400 Watts per side
Tweeter (1) each 1" silk dome
Frequency Response 25 hz-20hz
Crossover Electronic at 100hz and 3 pole/18db/oct at 1.8 khz
Impedance 8 ohms
Sensitivity/Max Power 92db@ 1W/1M, 350 WRMS

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for your advise. Followed exactly as you said and the towers subs are kicking. 4 subs for a small apartment what a rush. Thanks again. Got 127db out of the system without clipping.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I have DefTech BP7001sc with 10" sub drivers built in attached to a 1500 watt amp in each tower and I use my towers as small crossed over at 40Hz (lowest my Onkyo will crossover before being set as large and applying "double bass" I found that by crossing them over at 40Hz, that the subwoofers in the DT's tightend up alot and were great as mid bass drivers. When they were set as large and double bass, the bass was boomy and the DefTehcs would drop like a rock after 30Hz. So it just made sense to cross them over at 450Hz (I wish Onkyo would allow to be crossed over at 30Hz, but alas you can't have it all.)

And even though the drivers and amps in the DT are very powerful, they were nothing in comparsion to the bass extension in my SVS sub. So crossed over at 40hz this allows the SVS to handle the real low bass and the mains to handle the mid bass perfectly and filling the room.

Also with double bass shut off, if the sound engineer has a bass note that he wants in the left front main and no where else, by shutting off double bass you get what the engineer wanted and not have bass in the left front and from the sub. This seperation works perfectly and you still get great room filling bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis