Crossover & impedance

O

omrisu

Audiophyte
Hello everyone...

Iv'e just got a Kenwood Speaker (JL-777) which is a 3-Way speaker that features a 12" woofer that is really beaten up.
It has 8 ohms impedance and a crossover frequency of 2000Hz-5000Hz.

I about to buy a new woofer to replace it.
what will be the concequnces of buying a woofer that provides 4 ohms of impedance?.

and what frequency range should it have?
(the whole loudspeaker it self, in origin, had a frequency range of 40Hz-20Khz).

also, if anyone have the manual of that loudspeaker on his PC, I'd by happy to get a copy!.

thank you so much!
Omri
(Sorry about my bad English, I'm not a native speaker)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I was going to recommend a woofer from Radio Shack. But it looks as though you do not have a store in your area. You should try to find a woofer that is 8ohm.

O

omrisu

Audiophyte
zumbo said:
I was going to recommend a woofer from Radio Shack. But it looks as though you do not have a store in your area. You should try to find a woofer that is 8ohm.
Ohh...
Radio Shack is a manufactor or a store?
if it is a store, what model you had in mind?

Thank's
Omri

O

omrisu

Audiophyte
Well, after a small Google research I now know that 'Radio Shack' is a supplier.
I entered their site, and browsed for my kind of a match and couldnt find.

anyway, the Brands that they sell are also available here in israel - so if you had something in mind - please, share ;) .

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Do a google search for "raw drivers" or "speaker raw drivers". You should be able to find one that works. I used a Radio Shack 12" woofer in an old pair of speakers. It was only $12 US dollars or so. It worked pretty good.

O

omrisu

Audiophyte
I've found a 12" inch woofer in a decent price.
8 ohms impedance and 40Hz-5000Hz frequency response range.
will it fit in well?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
It should work fine. I would try to find one that goes down to 20hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis