Crossover freqs for this Setup

B

benolium

Junior Audioholic
I'm finally getting around to tuning my system. I got a spl meter and realized that my Pioneers auto settings were way off. I set all db levels to 80 dbs then manually set all the speakers to small. It had the fronts set to large. Yikes- Thats why I never had any bass when listening in stereo mode. I set the speaker levels to the following to compensate for the room. Now at the SPL meter the settings are as follows.
L -2db
c 0
R -2db
Sr +1 db
Sl +3.5 db
SBL +2.5
SBR +3.5
SW +3.0

I would like to know how to maximize the sound of the speakers via the acoustic Cal Eq settings. I turned up the hi frequencies in all but the sub and WOW the system really woke up. Now like a crack addict, I NEED MORE. Things are starting to sound better. How do I make it really better. Thats where you guys come in. Where should I set the levels according to my speakers freq response?
Here are my speakers and ranges. All BIC Acoustec 7.1 system. Similar to the Klipsch Synergy line. Is there any holes in the freq range that I should be compensating for? If so where should I set the EQs?

Fronts HT-75
Freq Response 35hz - 20khz
Crossover 2100 hz
Sensitivity 96db

Center HT-65
Freq Response- 55hz - 20khz
Crossover 2100 hz
Sensitivity 96 db

Surrounds Ht-63
Freq Response 60hz - 20k hz
Crossover 2100 hz
Sens 96 db
Sub HT - H100
Freq Resp 24hz - 200hz
Crossover 40 hz- 150hz
115 db db max acoustic output
150 watts rms cont

Thanks guys. Any suggestions would be wonderful! :):)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Benolium...

I have that exact receiver in my main setup as my preamp... works great...

In order, you should be setting all your speakers to small, and start graphing your entire setup with test tones from about 100hz down... Try different settings, start at 80hz crossover and see how it graphs out...

If you have an major dips in the FR around where the subs are crossed over to the mains, you might want to change the crossover to a lower setting, and see if that makes any differences to smooth things out...

Looks like your speakers can play pretty low, but don't let that make you feel you can't crossover higher, at like 80hz.. let the graph be your guide. Your looking for a nice smooth response where all freq. are roughly the same db level.. little spikes and dips are ok, just not ones that move 10db...

If your really starting become a crack addict like you say, you can take another step further and download a program like REW
or TrueRTA http://www.trueaudio.com/

Also see Erics post here... already explained... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=342197&postcount=27

That will really give you an idea of how your room is reacting...

Good luck

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Remember too that changing things with the EQ will not necessarily make things better; remember that perceptual reach has shown that flattish frequency response is always best, and that the mind will assume that louder is better, meaning that if the frequency response is OK to start with, if the high frequencies are increased the brain will erroneously conclude that the sound has improved.

That is why the ability to measure is useful, and in addition to the programs Warpdrv suggested, Visual Analyzer is good too.

Anyway, have fun. :)

B

benolium

Junior Audioholic
Hey Benolium...

I have that exact receiver in my main setup as my preamp... works great...

In order, you should be setting all your speakers to small, and start graphing your entire setup with test tones from about 100hz down... Try different settings, start at 80hz crossover and see how it graphs out...

If you have an major dips in the FR around where the subs are crossed over to the mains, you might want to change the crossover to a lower setting, and see if that makes any differences to smooth things out...

Looks like your speakers can play pretty low, but don't let that make you feel you can't crossover higher, at like 80hz.. let the graph be your guide. Your looking for a nice smooth response where all freq. are roughly the same db level.. little spikes and dips are ok, just not ones that move 10db...

If your really starting become a crack addict like you say, you can take another step further and download a program like REW
or TrueRTA http://www.trueaudio.com/

Also see Erics post here... already explained... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=342197&postcount=27

That will really give you an idea of how your room is reacting...

Good luck
Thanks Warpdrv, I'll start with those suggestions about the crossover settings and go from there. I need to have a RTA / program to see the peaks and nulls are in Freq Response though? So other that, there's no way of knowing the Freq Response?

M

matcouthon

Audiophyte
Klipsch synergy was mentioned in the threads. I bought Synergy F2 system (2 SF2+1KC2+2KS2+1Ksub12) and am running them with Onkyo 605. Any suggestions for crossover frequency for this?

B

benolium

Junior Audioholic
What are the specs for them? They may be really similar to my BIC's in freq range. So you may be able to use the same suggestions from others, or from me when I finish my adjustments.

M

matcouthon

Audiophyte
The specs of my speakers are:

F-2 (Floor main) Specifications
frequency response 39Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
power handling 100 w (400 w peak)
sensitivity 95.5dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
nominal impedance 8 ohms
crossover frequency 2100Hz

C-2 (Center) Specifications
frequency response 82Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
sensitivity 95.5dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
nominal impedance 8 ohms
crossover frequency 2400Hz

S-2 (Surround) Specifications
frequency response 83Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
sensitivity 91dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
nominal impedance 8 ohms
crossover frequency 2500Hz

Synergy Sub-12 (subwoofer) Specifications
frequency response 24Hz-120Hz +/- 3dB
crossover frequency Continuously variable from 40Hz-120Hz, 24dB/octave slope above 120Hz

no. 5

no. 5

So other that, there's no way of knowing the Freq Response?
If you have a SPL meter a CD of test tones and a notepad, it is possible to go it without an RTA.
Klipsch synergy was mentioned in the threads. I bought Synergy F2 system (2 SF2+1KC2+2KS2+1Ksub12) and am running them with Onkyo 605. Any suggestions for crossover frequency for this?
Judging by the frequency response you posted of your speakers, 100Hz might bring good results, but my suggestion is nooooo substitute for experimentation.

B

benolium

Junior Audioholic
I downloaded both of the programs. The rta is a great tool. Now, how do I use it. I see the data. What does it all mean?

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Well if you downloaded the free version, it will not tell you ANYTHING with the 1 octave.
It by no means will tell you anything useful, in terms of nulls in FR.
You would better off with a notepad, a test tone CD, and a SPL meter.

BTW, how do you like that set. I am one of the fellows who talked you into trying it (2 years ago).;)
Brian.

no. 5

no. 5

Well if you downloaded the free version, it will not tell you ANYTHING with the 1 octave.
For TrueRTA yes, but Visual Analyzer and REW have MUCH better resolution.

Benolium,
I assume you have a calibrated microphone, or a SPL meter? If you're looking at the RTA, each bar in the graph tells you how much sonic energy is present at each fraction of an octave.

B

benolium

Junior Audioholic
Hey thanks Gasman. I am still loving the BIC. They sound great in my room. I have some more tuning to do with room treatments, and delay times. I have a test cd, so I'll do it the old fashion way. I need to wait till the wife and kids are out shopping so I don't get into trouble with them. I'll report back once I'm done.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis