P

paddler

Audiophyte
Speaker worked fine and then all of a sudden absolutely no sound.

Put new crossover in and it worked fine.

Would this most likely be a capacitor? Have read that resistors last forever.
Was going to recap the crossover anyway but don't want to go through the trouble (7 capacitors) if it may be something else.

Speaker is a 40 year old Pioneer CS-99A.

Thanks for any help.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
It is doubtful that you would get NO sound from capacitors going bad. You might get no sound from a tweeter or midrange, but in most cases, you would still get sound from a woofer, but, of course, all of this depends upon the exact design of the crossover we are talking about.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that most likely you had a bad connection somewhere. In some cases, there are fuses that can be blown, but if my memory is correct, that does not apply to the Pioneer CS-99A.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
consider new speakers? Otherwise probably the caps

Speaker worked fine and then all of a sudden absolutely no sound.

Put new crossover in and it worked fine.

Would this most likely be a capacitor? Have read that resistors last forever.
Was going to recap the crossover anyway but don't want to go through the trouble (7 capacitors) if it may be something else.

Speaker is a 40 year old Pioneer CS-99A.

Thanks for any help.
More than likely the capacitors have gone bad. Then your RC filter will no longer work. You need to weigh the cost of a new crossover versus buying capacitors and re-capping. Yu are correct resistors and inductors rarely fail under normal proper usage, whereas capacitors can and do fail.

However, you also might consider replacing the speaker, technology has changed significantly in 40 years. I would venture to say that your speaker cones are much stiffer and more brittle than they were 1969 and even if you repalce the crossover, you will still not have brilliant full sound.

Weigh the opinions and comments on Audioholics with a grain of salt; not all opinions or comments are correct!

Good luck,

ModCow2

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis