cross over and computer questions

M

maxx103

Audioholic Intern
OK, I will start by saying that i am completely new to all this for the most part so if this is a stupid question with a simple awesome then OK. I want to out put from my sound card (asus st) that has analog outs. I want something that can: A) control volume for speakers and subs B) split the frequency into 2 but ill need either two sub outs or ill need two of these and C) cont under 500 preferably under 300. So basically Computer-> active cross.-->amp--> speakers. If you need any more info feel free to ask.

P.S: all i have right now are the two speakers that is the sound card i want but if you know one that will suit my purposes better please comment

P.S.S i know the wording is weird but if you need clarification just say so

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Simplest is to grab an old 5.1 AVR. Use a Y-cable to split the sub out (or find an old one with two sub-outs).

If you are after something more complex as an active crossover: the Behringer Super-X is $79 at parts express. If you need an external volume control (pre-amp), then use anything with pre-outs.

You can configure the behringer one of two ways. You can turn two input signals into 4 out (left-high, left low, right high, right low) or into 3 out (left high, right high, low). Again: you can use a splitter to split the output and adjust the gain on the subs (or, indeed on the behringer itself)

M

maxx103

Audioholic Intern
oook

so is like left and right sub woofer channels a joke because if each analog is outputting 20hz-20khz i want the speakers to handle down to about 60 and have two subs (one for left and one for right). Also this is in a very small room so i might just use one sub unless i can get better sound quality. my priorities are 1) sound quality 2)price 3)aesthetics. anyway thanks for the help i might just end up with a receiver at this rate

also this is nearly pure music sooooo yah

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
so is like left and right sub woofer channels a joke because if each analog is outputting 20hz-20khz i want the speakers to handle down to about 60 and have two subs (one for left and one for right).
I don't understand you, but I can assure you I made no jokes.

Since you are looking to run subs in stereo: it's going to be an external crossover. The least expensive good one (the one I recommend for just this) is the Behringer Super-X ($79 at parts express).

If you were using your computer for volume control, you'd take a 1/8"-RCA stereo cable, attach RCA-XLR adapters on the end, and plug it into the R/L in on the Super-X. Then run left-high, left-low, right-high, and right-low into your amps. If I assume that your subs have integrated amps: you can run straight from the Super-X left-low and right-low to your subs.

Check to see if your amps / subs take XLR connections: if not, you'll have to convert back to RCA (worst case: 6 adapters).

If you want external volume control: you will have to insert a pre-amp in the mix between your computer and Super-X. The least expensive way *I* know is to get an old stereo receiver with Pre-outs (I user a Pioneer 9700SX).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis