Critical eyes on $15K system and theater design

T

tigershark

Enthusiast
I'm up and running now. I ended up going with my original plan with a few modifications. First, I took the advice and went with the Chief projector mount, stayed away from glass on the platform to avoid reflections, and also went with the Axiom M3 for inwall surrounds. For ceiling speakers went with RSL C34Es. Overall I'm very happy with the setup. I'm using an Xbox One to drive most of my UHD content. Next step is adding a few acoustic treatments to the room to tighten up the sound further.

Back to front.JPG
Corner.JPG
Front to back.JPG

Thanks again for all of the advice. It was very helpful.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice looking setup!

Don't just add acoustic treatments without measurements showing the need for them. I would get a measurement microphone and run some sweeps in REW to see what is happening in your room. Treatments of the wrong type and in the wrong location can accentuate problems and make the room sound worse if implemented haphazardly. Pick up a book about room acoustics or read some articles about it. Room treatments do not automatically improve the sound.

For a small aesthetic touch, you might want to look at what Pogre did to his Hsu subs to make a horizontal orientation look more natural.

T

tigershark

Enthusiast
That is good advice. This is one of the reasons I've put off adding the treatments. Been focused on just getting what I have calibrated. Thanks for the link to Pogre subs. One thing I'm kicking myself on is not running a long enough cable for the right sub. My original position for the sub wasn't under the screen but I've found it better than the corner where I had it before. Now my cord is a bit short. and need some more discrete cord management overall.

BTW, the other thing I would do over is put more accent lighting in the platform (especially the front). I ran power to it so I could plug in the cables but when all the lights are off it is still a bit too dark to navigate around.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis