Craig Breedlove passed away

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
This is very sad, message that Craig Breedlove passed away.... Craig is my greatest hero in life and I think a true icon of the American Dream.

While other youngsters where tuning their V8's Craig bought a J34 jet engine, built a car around It and set the world speed record.

I am extremely saddened, the American Dream died

Craig Breedlove - Spirit of America Sonic arrow.jpg

”In life there is love, everything else is fill“
- Craig Breedlove

r.i.p. Mr. Breedlove, you are my true hero!

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
RIP , Fond memories of his achievements when I was a young man

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I remember he was the record holder for skid marks in my '68 Guiness Book of World Records....6 miles long! Lots more to the american dream in any case. RIP.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I am still crying "crocodile tears" after what happened with Craig Breedlove and "Spirit of America, Sonic Arrow" in 1992. When they got ready for the record attempt in Black Rock Desert, a helicopter pilot communicated the windspeed as one-five, this was interpreted as 1.5 knots, but the crosswind was 15 knots, way above the secure limit.

Breedlove reached 675mph with Spirit of America, Sonic Arrow; at that time, the rate of the acceleration had not decreased significantly, the strong crosswind made the car roll over on its side in 675mph, Breedlove fought for something like 6 to 10 miles and managed in the end to straighten the car and came out of this without a scratch. Insane o_O

The J79 engine swallowed lots of dust and gravel and was broken, there was a spare J79, but this had been broken by reckless contractors and there was no money for a replacement, financing did not work out this time. For the first time in his life, Breedlove had to give up.
PS: The J79 engine is as far as I know the same that powers the F4 Phantom jet fighter, pretty powerful stuff.

The end statement from Breedlove after this, if I remember correctly, is that he clearly stated that the car would be able to surpass 800mph, that is way faster than the current record of 763mph. Bad luck and lack of finances hit Breedlove here.

I strongly believe that Craig Breedlove made the fastest car ever with Spirit of America Sonic Arrow but bad luck and unfortunate circumstances made the car unworkable. Most of all, Breedlove was an incredible guy, I simply love everything about what he did in life and his values in life!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The J79 engine is as far as I know the same that powers the F4 Phantom jet fighter, pretty powerful stuff.
Right. The Phantom had two J79 engines.

The J79 engine that Breedlove used is much more powerful than the J34 he used in earlier cars.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I was wrong, it was even faster, here is what Craig Breedlove say about Spirit of America sonic arrow, geeez imagine accelerating 6.5G at 675mph o_O

That car was so fast: by the time I went through the start of the measured mile I was doing 675mph and the car hadn’t stopped accelerating. According to the data if I’d stayed in the throttle for six more seconds we’d have come out the other end at 920mph.

Last edited:
B

bernardcoghlan

Audiophyte
I stumbled upon this forum post, and I have to say, it's always tough to lose a hero. My condolences to you and everyone who knew Craig Breedlove.
Speaking of heroes, my uncle passed away recently, and I'm helping to organize his funeral. It's been a tough time for my family, but we're trying to honor his memory in the best way we can. I was looking for some ideas and came across memorial bench inscription ideas. Have you ever considered a bench as a memorial for a loved one?
I think it's a beautiful way to remember someone and provide a place for others to sit and reflect on their life. Plus, there are so many creative ways to personalize the inscription. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I stumbled upon this forum post, and I have to say, it's always tough to lose a hero. My condolences to you and everyone who knew Craig Breedlove.
Speaking of heroes, my uncle passed away recently, and I'm helping to organize his funeral. It's been a tough time for my family, but we're trying to honor his memory in the best way we can. I was looking for some ideas and came across memorial bench inscription ideas. Have you ever considered a bench as a memorial for a loved one?
I think it's a beautiful way to remember someone and provide a place for others to sit and reflect on their life. Plus, there are so many creative ways to personalize the inscription. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
So sorry to hear about this, condolances :(
I think best way to honour the loved ones are to continue, doing the things they loved and remember the good things :)

My late mother loved candles .... After my late mother passed away I burned a candle at the veranda for 14 days, IMHO I think a very nice thing to do is to honour what he loved in life.

Last edited:
H

HaileyBenitez

Audiophyte
Sorry to hear about Craig Breedlove passing away. It's always tough losing someone we look up to and admire. He was a great man, building a car around a jet engine and setting world records. He definitely left his mark on history and inspired many people. Does he have a Memorial? Maybe we can do something to honor his memory, like start a tribute or something.

G

GKH

Enthusiast
This saddens me. I'm 69 years old. I've followed his story since the early sixties.
I believe it was the year 2000 when he was inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame. I think Mario was inducted the same year. (I might be wrong on that year..)
He was the first man to officially go over 400, 500, & 600 mph. If you all like a great book on the Land Speed Record attempts of the sixties, read 'Speed Duel'. It pretty much centers around Craig Breedlove and Art Arfons, two of the greatest rivalries of the time with other LSR pilots mentioned, as well.

DanielBafang

DanielBafang

Audiophyte
I'm truly sorry to hear about the passing of Craig Breedlove. It's evident from your message that he was a significant figure in your life and an inspiration to many. His achievements in setting world speed records and embodying the American Dream are truly remarkable and have left a lasting impact on the world of racing.
Losing someone we admire and look up to is always difficult, and it's natural to feel a sense of loss and sadness. As you remember and honor Craig's legacy, consider creating a memorial to celebrate his life and accomplishments. Mattos Monuments offers flat headstones and gravestones that can serve as a beautiful tribute to his memory, providing a place for friends and fans to pay their respects and remember the incredible journey he undertook.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
it´s late Craig Breedlove´s birthday today, born 03.23.1937

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis