Couple Noob Questions...

M

Maester

Audiophyte
Hey, im pretty well a noob when it comes to this stuff, although I have some knowledge... But I have a couple questions.

1. What is the quality difference if i have a digital hookup for my audio on my dvd player opposed to the standard red and white cables?

2. If I run my speaker wire through my sub, will it take all LFE out of my main speakers, and only have it going through the sub? I have rather large front speakers, and I was wondering what the better choice would be for your typical movie/ music setup.

Thanks!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Maester said:
Hey, im pretty well a noob when it comes to this stuff, although I have some knowledge... But I have a couple questions.

1. What is the quality difference if i have a digital hookup for my audio on my dvd player opposed to the standard red and white cables?
Maester said:
Well, with the digital audio, you would be getting the full capability of Dolby digital, 5.1 or 6.1. The red and white analog would pass the older Dolby pro logic signals:(

2. If I run my speaker wire through my sub, will it take all LFE out of my main speakers, and only have it going through the sub? I have rather large front speakers, and I was wondering what the better choice would be for your typical movie/ music setup.

Thanks!

If you have speaker wires from the amp left and right front channel to the sub, then from the sub to the main speakers, yes, the sub will separate the lows out and send the signals above the crossover setting on the sub to the main speakers.

The other option, depending on receiver/processor capability for a LFE out, sent that to the sub and full range to the mains.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Maester said:
Just remember to set the front channels to Large and Subwoofer=No in the receiver's bass management setup if you are going to use speaker level hookup to the sub.

M

Maester

Audiophyte
Great! Thanks for the quick reply guys :) Im gonna have to get me a digital cable then, Ive been missing out. haha.
My amp doesnt have LFE out, but I will definitely have to try hooking the speakers through the sub to see which I like better... Thanks for the advice!

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Maester wrote:
My amp doesn't have LFE out
Going off the photos from your Sig link, it looks like you have the Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver, is this correct?

I found the manual for the Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver, and going off page 9 of the manual it does have a LFE/subwoofer pre-amp output(see the attachment)

If you use this output, you can utilize the receivers bass management.

cheers:)

Attachments

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Maester said:
Great! Thanks for the quick reply guys :) Im gonna have to get me a digital cable then, Ive been missing out. haha.
My amp doesnt have LFE out, but I will definitely have to try hooking the speakers through the sub to see which I like better... Thanks for the advice!

Hope it is not too late!!!
All you need is a video cable. Don't pay extra for the digital name stamped on the cable:D And, you don't need an expensive video cable either:D

M

Maester

Audiophyte
Heh, well here is the noob part of me coming through... I had LFE confused with something else, but yes, MACCA350, that is my amp, and thats how I have it hooked up now, lol. I just made a mistake. *blushes* :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis