Cooling components inside cabinet

K

katmu

Audiophyte
I'm thinking of purchasing a cabinet similiar to this one. It's 72" long so my receiver could sit on top, but if possible I would prefer to have the components inside the cabinet, speakers on top (Axiom M3s and center channel) and the TV wall mounted. My biggest concern is about cooling the components. I looked at the cooling fans available at coolcomponents, but I'm wondering if there is a better option.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The biggest issue for components to die is because of poor ventilation and lousy cooling. I would never recommend that anyone purchase an A/V rack which is not properly vented and designed for A/V use.

But, if you are getting something which does not have vents, you really only have a few options.

1. Cut holes in it for ventilation - intake, and output. You want to pull air in the bottom front of the unit. Not the back, behind the components, but up front and down low if at all possible. Perhaps it is not possible, in which case the holes will be out of site behind your gear and you should put more of them in the rack.

Also, cut holes at the top rear of the unit to allow hot air to escape.

Fans aren't necessarily required, but definitely help to get air flowing in the correct direction. If you intend to MAYBE use fans someday, then plan your holes and fans to work together so that the fans can mount directly to the intake/output vents as necessary.

Good fans can be almost entirely inaudible, so noise should not be a concern, but they are a mechanical addition and it is far better, if possible, to get away from poor furniture design and instead go with a piece of furniture which both looks good and is properly designed to allow for full airflow through your A/V gear.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
This was my thread on the subject and I hope it helps. I cut a 4" hole under the receiver to allow an updraft through the receiver and then excess heat is pulled out through the fan and vent holes in the back. Note the temperature probe to the right of the receiver. It's even with the center-front of the receiver. Not the hottest part of the shelf and not the coolest because the fan comes on at 86 and shuts down at 80 degrees.

It's nothing fancy but it's a bachelor's bedroom so don't expect too much fanciness. But I may cover the vent holes with a full width black grill.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis