Contemplating a receiver and its killing me

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Hi all this is my first post.

A friend and I just got word that we were approved to move into a new apartment. I'm really excited as we are both big time audio/video people and are moving into a nice apartment complex on campus. Anyway the deal is he is going to get us a 42" plasma (he already ordered it), and I need to supply the sound system. I really don't want to let him down as he has a decent 5.1 Klipsch reference setup with a decent Sony receiver at home (I know its not anything compared to some of you guys' setup but it sounds decent). Well I have 3 weeks till we move in and I have yet to decide on a receiver let alone speakers. I have a budget of roughly 1500-2000.

What I want to know is what would you choose a Yamaha RX-V1500 or Harman Kardon AVR-435. Both are in my price range and both have the basic features im looking for (direct imput, automatic equalization) I am leaning toward the HK simply because how it looks and the three component imputs as opposed to two. The only things I'm a little worried about is if the HK will have enough juice for some good loud music or movies, or if it can upconvert S-Video to component out like the Yamaha can? Any imput on any of this or any experience with these or similar products would be great. Thanks guys!

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Have you looked at the Denon 2805? The upconversion feature is very useful to many and although I didn't plan on using it I do now and am happy with the video quality and ease of switching inputs on my Denon 3805. I've owned 3 HK receivers in the past and have always liked their warm sound. The 435 will have plenty of power and HK is conservative in their ratings compared to most of the other popular manufacturers, it's an all channels driven rating compared to maximum rating. And I personally don't care for the new look of the HK receivers but that's just me.

T

thxgoon

Junior Audioholic
Have you considered any of the pioneer elite models? I've been extremely impressed with the 56txi. It would be at the top of your budget at 1499, but has all the features you could want including firewire, and sounds great. I heard somewhere that the entire output section was designed by air studios. It's strange that these receivers are often overlooked in the forums.

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Choices

First of all, I don't think you have any BAD choices. Yamaha is a great brand and so is HK. Somebody recommended Denon and that is a great brand as well. So no matter what your choice is, you and your roomie will be happy!

Sure, there might be a "best" choice. You mention the number of component connections as a criterion. Is it really? How many component inputs/ outputs will you be running? If you know you will need the extra connection then make your choice based on that. If not, ignore it.

Video upconversion is a good thing, particularly if you know you'll have inputs that will require it. I like it as a feature, though I confess I don't have a HDTV that requires it ... yet.

I'm also a bit confused about your budget. Do you have to get speakers AND a receiver for the total budget figure you mentioned? If so, I would get the cheapest receiver that met my basic needs and spend on the speakers. Are you planning to get a subwoofer? For the numbers you mentioned, better plan on getting a package -- not necessarily HT in a box, but not too far off, either.

Last, how much system do you really need. You are moving into a campus APARTMENT, which means you need to be considerate of your neighbors. Sure, they'll likely be students too ... but an apartment is really not the same as a dorm. You may want to impress visitors, but don't count on too many music wars.

FWIW, my advice is to get a scalable system that meets your needs now (i.e., small room system) and upgrade pieces over time. Unless you're rich, I really don't see how you can do anything else and still pay for tuition, books, food and rent. And beer.

Good luck. Let us know what you decided on.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Zarg said:
Sure, there might be a "best" choice. You mention the number of component connections as a criterion. Is it really? How many component inputs/ outputs will you be running? If you know you will need the extra connection then make your choice based on that. If not, ignore it.
1. DirecTV HD receiver.
2. Progressive scan DVD player.
3. PS2.

That's three and I think a lot of people have similar equipment or will have in the near future. :)

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Ok, I ended up getting the HK 435 today. The reason being I got a good deal locally. We have a store called Video Only here in Oregon, I took in an online add and they beat it. So I got it for $665. They dont do the Yamaha RXV series so I couldn't try to get him to match that. I got a new Velodyne VX-10 from them a couple weeks ago for $160 and I'm pretty impressed with the sound for the price. Now I just need speakers for around $1200-$1400. Do you guys think I'm doing alright so far? I think the sub will be my first upgrade at this point, but thats fine cause I can always use another sub hooked up to my gaming system down the road and it was a steal.

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Ya, I noticed that the 630 and the 435 were the same price, but I think there are some better features on the 435 as it has barely been released. I don't know if those 10 extra watts in my apartment will make a diff. since i will probably only ever get to turn it up half way. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 435 and the 635 share the same features, they just have different power rating? Anyway I think I'll have plenty of juice, in HK rating how much would 65 watts at 7.1 be? like 120watts is what ive been hearing?

Can anyone confirm or deny if the 435 does video upconversion?

You paid twice what I payed for your 435 zumbo? Also, I haven't heard of those speakers before how would you rate them?

I think now that I have a receiver I should be moving to a speaker topic. Anyone wanna put in some final thoughts and answer the questions above it would be great. Thanks for your help so far guys!

Duffinator

Duffinator

jmanlp said:
Anyway I think I'll have plenty of juice, in HK rating how much would 65 watts at 7.1 be? like 120watts is what ive been hearing?

Can anyone confirm or deny if the 435 does video upconversion?
Plenty of power to keep your apartment neighbors awake at night!

The 435 specs are not yet posted on the HK website and I have not heard whether or not it does the video upconversion.

Have fun with you new toy.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I paid $999.00 for my MB Quart 830's from Yawa. I have four. They are worth every penny I paid. I can't believe they are on sale for $599.00. They will let you test them for 30 days, and return with no questions asked. You WILL NOT want to send them back.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis