Considering upgrade. Help me, oh wise folk.

M

Maestro360

Audiophyte
My system consists of:

Denon AVR-5700 Receiver (~2000) <--bought this when it was the shizzle!
Infinity Overture 3 Floorstanding Speakers (~1999) <--bought these when they were the shizzle too!
Infinity Overture 1 Bookshelf Speakers (used as rears)
Infinity Overture 1CC Center
Infinity HPS500 Subwoofer

Sony KDF-70XBR950 LCD rear projection TV

Firstly, tell me HOW these speakers would compare to Axiom's top stuff, i.e. M80, V150, QS8, etc. My OVTR 3's have built in amps to power their FOUR woofers. I'm having trouble deciding whether getting the Axiom stuff would be an improvement, mainly due to SPL and impedance issues I don't understand. ALSO, would someone just TELL me if my 140x5ch (at 8ohm) receiver will deal well with the M80's 4ohm impedance, and everthing else's 6 ohm impedance.

ALSO, I want a DVD player that matches my receiver, a Denon, and that will be stunning on my big-a$$ tv, and doesn't make me go (more) broke. Help pleeeese kids.

:confused:

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
What kind of improvement do you want? And what makes you think that Axiom *in particular* would be an improvement?

There are lots of fans of Axiom, but I'm not one of them. I think if you want better sound quality, then there are lots of other brands (including other Internet brands) that you should consider.

R

Red

Audioholic
Warpdrive has a good point - what improvement are you looking for? Have the Infinity's degraded over time? Or do you just have the upgrade bug like so many of us get? :D

Put the money into the Denon 3910 DVD, it WILL be stunniong on you big a$$ TV.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Switching to the Axioms would be a sideways move at best. The Overtures were the last of the high-end Infinity line. Spend the money on the DVD player and music/movies.

Give more info if there is something in particular you aren't happy with.

M

Maestro360

Audiophyte
A sideways move, got it. Warp and others, WHAT other speaks should I check out. Also, by checking out these other wonders, am I doubling the price range. I really love these Infinitys, but I do get the bug for upgrades. I dig the QS8s for mountability, etc. My overture 1's are so bulky and they each have their own amp. They have provided me with 5 years of excellent home theater now. Does anyone have speaker stand solutions for the 1's? Maybe I'll keep them, but I'd like to know what else is out there that could keep me from sleeping at night. Because they're on really loud.

Denon 3910 it is.

Any advice on the 4ohm/8ohm situation?

Thanks gents.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Maestro360 said:
Denon 3910 it is.
ouchie mama.. are you really ready to sink a grand into a DVD player that will be obsoleted by Blu Ray or HD-DVD by the end of the year ?

I'd recommend you get a decent mid-line for about $ 300 till you get a substantial increase in quality for that level of investment..

A Yamaha C750 as seen in the review or Samsung HD-941 will be a much more cost-effective purchase that will still thrill your TV...

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaDVD-C750DVDChanger1.php

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I recommend my Panasonic S97 DVD, it's the next best thing to the Denon. The latest firmware releases addresses the previous blocky picture issues, and it has a wonderful picture if you have a DVI or HDMI connection.

As far as speakers, what's wrong with your current ones, then maybe we can help

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Good point that HD DVD will be out in about a year. The benchmark that Secrets of HT did found the Toshiba - SD-V592 (HDMI) second only to the Denon 5910.

Try here for a large selection of stands.

You should be happy that your Infinitys are good enough that you've reach the point of really diminished return for the dollar on upgrading.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Marantz DV6500 Progressive Scan Universal DVD Player
Take a look at this DVD player. There is a difference in picture quality with a quality DVD player.

dorsm365

Audiophyte
Denon 3910 all the way!

Leprkon, what are you thinking? I have a 3910 and its awesome! Even when blu-ray comes out (in about 2 years!) it will be so expensive and quality control will be awful.....it will look and sound like the first CD players! Besides, are YOU going to shell out the dough to replace your DVD collection at around $40 a pop? i diddn't think so....

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
dorsm365 said:
Leprkon, what are you thinking? I have a 3910 and its awesome! Even when blu-ray comes out (in about 2 years!) it will be so expensive and quality control will be awful.....it will look and sound like the first CD players! Besides, are YOU going to shell out the dough to replace your DVD collection at around $40 a pop? i diddn't think so....
I never said it wasn't awesome for a DVD player. I said it wasn't cost-effective for what the original poster would get out of it.

The guy stated he was on a budget (some people do have to live that way.. would you like to start a Donate-the-Denon program ??). He can get alot more bang-for-the buck with one of the newer, cheaper players and use the rest of his money someplace else.

As far as $ 40 a pop for Blu Rays, I did buy a universal player instead of a 3910, so I already have $ 700 more than you to start converting...

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
dorsm365 said:
It isn't exactly new technology. I don't recall any huge issues, except choma bug, with DVD players. YBA has used blue lasers in all but one of their CDPs for years now. Panasonic, Sharp, and Sony already have blu-ray players availible in the Japanese market. The cost of the high def. DVD players will be in the blue lasers. The question is will blue lasers fall like red lasers did with the rise of CD and DVD players. Two years for the next generation players to be common place I'll accept.

If HD media costs $40 a pop it will only be due to the greed of Hollywood. From what I read HD adds little to the production cost of the media.

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
Maestro360 said:
A sideways move, got it. Warp and others, WHAT other speaks should I check out. Also, by checking out these other wonders, am I doubling the price range. I really love these Infinitys, but I do get the bug for upgrades. I dig the QS8s for mountability, etc. My overture 1's are so bulky and they each have their own amp. They have provided me with 5 years of excellent home theater now. Does anyone have speaker stand solutions for the 1's? Maybe I'll keep them, but I'd like to know what else is out there that could keep me from sleeping at night. Because they're on really loud.

Denon 3910 it is.

Any advice on the 4ohm/8ohm situation?

Thanks gents.
My 3805 have no issue with the M80ti 4 ohm , my HT is 13X26 (338sq ft)
no over heat or sound problem. But I have very good air flow, maybe that's why or is than and the combinasion with the good power supply the 3805 have. But if I have money , I would not mind getting a separate amp for them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis