Connectivity questions

T

tuck0411

Enthusiast
This will probably date me and make me sound like a total noob, but I've got an old Pioneer VSX-5300 AV receiver with no dedicated sub output. It's got two main speaker outs, two rear outs, and a center out. These were made back in the late 80s, which I guess was before subs became popular. Anyway, the unit runs fine, and although I will eventually replace it, I'd like to keep using it for the time being if I can figure out how to use it with a good quality sub. After perusing this forum and a couple of others, I'm under the impression that some subs support running the main speaker outputs into the sub and utilizing the crossover, and then running separate wires from the sub to the speakers. If anyone can confirm or deny that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Assuming the above scheme is doable, I've narrowed my sub options down to the Emotiva X-Ref 12 and the SVS SB12-NSD. Looking at the back panel pics of the Emotiva, I'm not sure it supports the wiring scheme mentioned above, but the SVS model possibly does. Anyone know for sure about either of those models? Thanks in advance. :)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Neither sub has what you need. You need one with speaker level/high level inputs & outputs.

This is an example of what you need:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
+1. What you are looking for is a sub with speaker level inputs. There are plenty of them out there, you just happened to pick a few that do not. I have my sub at my other place hooked up like this with integrated amp.

T

tuck0411

Enthusiast
Ok, thanks, guys. I had a feeling that would be the response as I've seen the phrase "speaker level inputs" mentioned in various places. I also got a reply from Jack at SVS saying essentially the same thing.

Funny you posted the pic of the Outlaw sub, Phillip, as I've been considering upgrading my receiver to the RR2150, which has the sub output I need. I am leaning in that direction anyway as this VSX-5300 isn't going to last forever.

So, assuming I go the route of upgrading to the Outlaw receiver with sub output, am I on the right track with the two subs I mentioned or would someone recommend a different one (at about the same price point of $600 - 700)? The sub would be used in a room that measures roughly 11' x 13' and I'm going for a decent 2.1 system used primarily for music with occasional HT.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Asking about subs here is sort of opening a can o' worms :D There are a lot of good subs out there right now, especially around that price point. I'd add HSU VTF-3 Mk4 Rythmik FV12 or F12, Epik Legend or Empire.

T

tuck0411

Enthusiast
Ok, thanks for that list. Will check 'em out. Have now run into another question, though. The Outlaw RR2150 has a single "Sub out" RCA jack, which can be seen here:
(nevermind, the forum is telling me I can't post links until my post count is above 5...)
The question arises when looking at the back panels of the two subs previously mentioned. Both have dual left/right RCA inputs. So, the question is, what's the proper way to connect these units? Run a single wire from the sub out on the receiver into the left channel input on the sub? Or something else? Guess I will email Outlaw next...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All subs are mono. In some cases it is one or the other that you connect to and will be identified, while in other cases it doesn't matter which one it is.

T

tuck0411

Enthusiast
All subs are mono. In some cases it is one or the other that you connect to and will be identified, while in other cases it doesn't matter which one it is.
Thanks, man. I suspect the manual will address this point, in any case.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis