Connecting Subwoofer - Newbie

T

tanya2ky

Audioholic Intern
Yesterday i bought my Velodyne DLS 4000R sub woofer :)and the dealer gave me a Monster sub woofer cable for free.

I was reading Velodyne User Manual and its says "for more signal, use a "Y" connector and feeds the signal into both "R" and "L" inputs.
Experts i want to know if i should buy a Y connector or the cable i have got is sufficient. :confused:

My second question is that behind sub woofer there is a switch "Active" / "Inactive" though i have no idea what it is and manual doesn't talk about it
Whats the purpose of this switch.:confused:

Thanks in advance.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Yesterday i bought my Velodyne DLS 4000R sub woofer :)and the dealer gave me a Monster sub woofer cable for free.

I was reading Velodyne User Manual and its says "for more signal, use a "Y" connector and feeds the signal into both "R" and "L" inputs.
Experts i want to know if i should buy a Y connector or the cable i have got is sufficient. :confused:

My second question is that behind sub woofer there is a switch "Active" / "Inactive" though i have no idea what it is and manual doesn't talk about it
Whats the purpose of this switch.:confused:

Thanks in advance.
What you have is sufficient unless you got an extra long run.

Remember sub placement is very important. So be sure to do a crawl test by putting the sub where you sit. Then crawl around the edges of the room listening for the best sound. It should be clean not boomy or weak.

T

tanya2ky

Audioholic Intern
I think if that is the case i am not going to use Y connector, thanks for your response.

Can somebody comment on Active / Inactive switch behind subwoofer, i just want to know the purpose of the switch

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
That is for Auto On/Off: Set to Active to turn on/off when it senses a signal.

The Low-Pass Crossover knob should also be set to the Direct position to disengage the sub's crossover.

And the sub's default Volume setting of 35 should be good. Don't go over 50.

T

tanya2ky

Audioholic Intern
Just curious why did you suggested to keep volume to default 35, is it for break in period ?

Is there risk of damaging Subwoofer above 50 volume ?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
This is the optimal gain area for the amp. You could push it higher but there shouldn't be a need. Sure you could damage the sub if you cranked everything up, but I would hope that any protection in the system would kick in first.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis