Connecting speaker with 4 inputs???

K

Kolestarol

Audiophyte
Hi Guys,

I'm kinda stumped here. My speakers have 4 plugs on the back, and being the noob that I am, I've only ever encountered 1 or 2... so basically, they're the screw in types, and the configuration is as follows

Key:
B = Black cable
R = Red cable
+ = Positive???
- = Negative.. (lol) something about bass and polarity..

Amplifier

Left Right

B B

R R

Speakers:

+ B R

- B R

I'm actually at work atm, so I don't really remember precisely what it's like, but it's something along those lines...

Thanks guys/girls!

J

James NM

Audioholic
The second set of terminals (inputs) is to allow you to bi-wire or bi-amp your speakers. My guess is you aren't familiar with this terminology?

Do the speakers have a jumper wire or block that connect the 2 sets of terminals?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Please ignore any so called "bi-wiring".
Four connectors on speaker COULD be used for Bi-Amping, but as I learned it's not recommended as in most cases ether it give barely marginal difference, but increase the risks on damaging the speaker several times.
Most speakers with 4 plugs (mine too) come with two copper plates with connects both REDS (+) and both BLACK (-) (vertically)

This is regular connection shown below:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Guys,

I'm kinda stumped here. My speakers have 4 plugs on the back, and being the noob that I am, I've only ever encountered 1 or 2... so basically, they're the screw in types, and the configuration is as follows

Key:
B = Black cable
R = Red cable
+ = Positive???
- = Negative.. (lol) something about bass and polarity..

Amplifier

Left Right

B B

R R

Speakers:

+ B R

- B R

I'm actually at work atm, so I don't really remember precisely what it's like, but it's something along those lines...

Thanks guys/girls!
What make and model are they? Can you post a photo or a model, so we can look it up?

desmondlewissmi

desmondlewissmi

Audioholic Intern
Dual input speakers

Isn't it also a possibility that these are dual input speakers such at the Infinity ERS110DT? If that were the case and you had two, you'd need to connect the positive from one side, to the negative on the other side on both so they run in series...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That would ne a new one on me, and that's not too easy.

Isn't it also a possibility that these are dual input speakers such at the Infinity ERS110DT? If that were the case and you had two, you'd need to connect the positive from one side, to the negative on the other side on both so they run in series...
I can't ever recall hearing about two "halves" of a speaker being connected in series.

The speaker you're referring to is a special case in where it's actually two speakers in one, to fit in where two channels are needed and space only exists for one speaker. This is basically a design for architectural use.

They are really not made to be connected together. In series, they would be 16 ohms and, in parallel, four ohms. Neither is really that good an idea.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis