Connecting PC to receiver (VGA hdmi or Sound card SPDIF?)

X

Xavi

Audioholic Intern
Hi people!, I just bought my first receiver (yamaha rx-v475) and a 5.0 set of infinity speakers (p363/PC351/p153).
The idea is connect the receiver to my main PC, who has 2 screens (monitor + TV).
So i've noticed the lack of multichannel analogic connection in this kind of receivers, and basically my options are HDMI via VGA (gtx680) or S/PDIF via sound card (asus Xonar DX)
The main use of the system is movies, then gaming and finally a diary touch of music.

What should i do then? I'm getting the same sound quality in both ways?
Will i lose some performance via hdmi, or surround sound or something in gaming? because the xonar has Dolby Digital Live (also Dolby Pro-Logic IIx, Dolby Headphone, Dolby Virtual Speaker)
The receiver has Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Also, if i use HDMI, my beloved Xonar becomes useless? I really like the xonar software, i can leave my headphones connected to the PC front panel and switch via soft without plugging and unplugging anything.

Thanks in advance!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
S/PDIF will not carry the HD formats for audio. So, your receiver will not say D TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio. This is not an issue since the only difference is the Xonar is doing the de-encoding and re-encoding to DD or DTS before sending to the receiver. There is no way to get 7.1 from S/PDIF. The sound quality will be indistinguishable between using S/PDIF and HDMI.

Stay away from sending analog to the receiver unless it is an external sound card. The PC box is a noisy place and will create measurable interference. Will that interference be audible? Can't say. At least it saves you from running a thick rope of cables from the Xonar to the receiver (not that you can for this specific receiver :)).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis